*** Official TCU Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Yeah, our zone is pretty porous. I suppose we could go to that if our strategy is to just pack it in and hope TCU misses open jumpers. Either way, being very shorthanded and small isn't a recipe for great defense.

Remember their pg, Robinson, broke a record for assists in our last matchup. Zone might negate him some at least. But yeah, I get it causes plenty of other issues, especially rebounding.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
How can they play any kind of defense and stay out of foul trouble. I don’t know how CL has a chance the way the officials like to call fouls on him - same for LW

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My guess is Beverly gets the start in place of Young. I don't tthink that necessarily means Long and Lewis will play less than B, though.

Torn on what to expect from Jackson. You want to believe he'll light it up to honor Dad tonight. But we've seen him press before, to put up points, and the results are usually not pretty. He tends to hang his head and disappear on both ends of the floor when things are going rough, too. The fact he is playing at all tonight is a surprise. Hopefully it's a pleasant surprise.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Perhaps this will be the first time I will see a team finish with 4 players vs. 5 in person. I'd rather see that at the end of the game than players having to let guys blow by them or not be aggressive.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
djack-sean-gif.45658

solomon-birdie-gif.45659

babb-bros-gif.45661

jakolby-ryu-gif.47076

lindell-sabretooth-gif.51805

brase-magneto-gif.52108

cam-doom-gif.52884

prohm-gallop-gif.51643

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Yeah, our zone is pretty porous. I suppose we could go to that if our strategy is to just pack it in and hope TCU misses open jumpers. Either way, being very shorthanded and small isn't a recipe for great defense.
Bradziansky really likes going off against ISU. I assume Lard will have to guard him, hopefully he doesn't pick up a few quick fouls.

Hope to see Lewis get some more minutes (he will even by default).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Bradziansky really likes going off against ISU. I assume Lard will have to guard him, hopefully he doesn't pick up a few quick fouls.

Hope to see Lewis get some more minutes (he will even by default).

Our ball pressure really needs to be on point. I think Fran Fraschilla said the other day that the first step to guarding the post is ball pressure. We have to make it tough for them to see him in there. Easier said than done.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Our ball pressure really needs to be on point. I think Fran Fraschilla said the other day that the first step to guarding the post is ball pressure. We have to make it tough for them to see him in there. Easier said than done.
I assume Beverly gets to start tonight but really wish we'd just roll with a 4 guard line up (Talley a G/F).

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The fouls situation is a little overblown. Iowa St just doesn't foul much, 328th in the country. They've only gone over 20 fouls 3 times in conference play.

In the big 12:
Wigginton fouled out 3 times, and avgs 2.8 per game
Lard 2 avg 3.2
Talley 0 avg 1.3

I know with less guys, there's more fouls to go around, but even Young and Babb didn't foul much.
Young fouled out once and avgs 3
Babb 0 and avgs 1.5
So spread them out to Beverly, Long, and Lewis, and should be fine.

The key is to keep Lard out of foul trouble, but that's been the key for every game this year.

If I was coaching, I'd start Long and Talley, with Beverly and Lewis off the bench. Lard has to guard Williams, and I'd much rather have Talley's length and athleticism against Brodzianski, than Beverly's bulk(?). Plus Long can matchup size wise with their wings.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Easier said then done, but also easier when you start four guards and play another off the bench to keep guys fresh.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Easier said then done, but also easier when you start four guards and play another off the bench to keep guys fresh.

On another note related to ball pressure/defense and how it can help or hinder the defense as a whole, I watched our game against KU from two years ago (?) and Monte said after the game (paraphrasing) that "Coach told me that I needed to go out in the second half do the job on defense because if I wasn't doing my job well enough, I put everyone else at a disadvantage". Something to that effect. At any rate, it proves the point that a break down out top leads to break downs everywhere else.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
We are going to be small either way, so may as well go all out small ball with Long starting. That way we at least have 1 big and 1 small on the bench.

These games can be fun when there are zero expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
On another note related to ball pressure/defense and how it can help or hinder the defense as a whole, I watched our game against KU from two years ago (?) and Monte said after the game (paraphrasing) that "Coach told me that I needed to go out in the second half do the job on defense because if I wasn't doing my job well enough, I put everyone else at a disadvantage". Something to that effect. At any rate, it proves the point that a break down out top leads to break downs everywhere else.
Yeah, and I’m sure Prohm has lost his voice saying similar things to the guys this year.

Raw numbers like points per game don’t show it, but our perimeter game that’s killed us all year on both ends imo, including forward action out there. Maybe that gets better having four guards on the floor, albeit without our best one in NWB.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Weird that it's only on Cyclones.tv. Not a fan of that actually. Especially if the team was good this year.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I wasn't going to read the gameday thread, but with all the players out I have to read what will surely be a ****show.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
FWIW, The spread went from ISU +6.5 to ISU +5, meaning a lot of big money on ISU. Interesting. We know TCU struggles on the road and ISU is a good home team, but with everything going on, you would think money would be on TCU.

• Optimistic
Reactions: LLCoolCY

Help Support Us

Become a patron