*** Official TCU vs #15 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Like don't you think that we could run some offense through Enaruna? He can't possibly be as bad on offense as the crap we trotted out there today.
He's actually showed some real touch around the rim when he gets the chance. I just don't understand why he's not a bigger part of the gameplan and has started all year but gets such sporadic minutes. Isn't he also, on limited attempts, shooting pretty well too? Bleh, hope more info comes out or something changes I guess.

Reactions: CycloneErik and jsb

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
we have twelve more wins right now than we did all of last season; we already have 200% more conference wins than we did last season. we all had low expectations that, even playing an easy OOC (and there were some good wins in there, let's keep that in mind), were blown completely out of the water. now we are coming down to earth again. the fact that this cobbled together team in year one of a new, young coach's career here is not in fact the #8 team in the country does not mean he is a bad coach, or this year is anything short of miraculous. we should keep our pre-season expectations in mind.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yes we can. In fact, today TCU would drive then pass to a baseline cutter. We've done that with Enaruna and should be doing it more.

Yeah, I guess I'd like to see the coaches try something else on offense. I know they are limited, but we are only scoring 44 points. It's not like it can get much worse.

I haven't listened to TJ's press conference yet, but on the radio he was complaining about defense. And I know that is the key to this limited team's chance at winning, but the players interviewed sounded DOWN after the game. They did a decent job on defense and if they can't get any offense going that effort is going to go downhill.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
we have twelve more wins right now than we did all of last season; we already have 200% more conference wins than we did last season. we all had low expectations that, even playing an easy OOC (and there were some good wins in there, let's keep that in mind), were blown completely out of the water. now we are coming down to earth again. the fact that this cobbled together team in year one of a new, young coach's career here is not in fact the #8 team in the country does not mean he is a bad coach, or this year is anything short of miraculous. we should keep our pre-season expectations in mind.

If they don't win another game this year, the season will sort of be a success. So good on TJ.

But that doesn't change the fact that he's making some puzzling decisions and he doesn't get a free pass on that.

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
i don't think he gets a "free pass" but i am willing to be patient for a guy who has been a head coach for 3.5 years, none of which were at the major level before this half of a year. it takes time to become a good head coach.

Reactions: CyBobby

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
i don't think he gets a "free pass" but i am willing to be patient for a guy who has been a head coach for 3.5 years, none of which were at the major level before this half of a year. it takes time to become a good head coach.

It's not my fault if he wasn't ready to be the head coach at a Big 12 school.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Oh, and your freshman PG had 6 turnovers. Not an unexpected occurrence with a true frosh, but they were costly today. So there's that.

Didn't knock down shots, and compounded offensive struggles with fast break points off turnovers.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Oh, and your freshman PG had 6 turnovers. Not an unexpected occurrence with a true frosh, but they were costly today. So there's that.

Didn't knock down shots, and compounded offensive struggles with fast break points off turnovers.

The positive part is they cleaned up the turnovers in the second half.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
JFC some of you guys, he just controlled Chris Beard 7 days ago and now he's not qualified to coach in this league?

Personally I think Beard is vastly overrated ;)

I just don't know. Like I've said repeatedly, he's done pretty amazing with this team.

But there's been some weird **** too and he shouldn't get a free pass on that. The Enaruna stuff has been weird all year, but completely baffling today. And the stupid move to go PG free for big stretches of games is really stupid as well.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Disagree. Expectations change as the season plays out. We are all ecstatic and understand this is way better than last year but when you put together the non-conference we did and then have two more wins against Q1 teams (Tech and Texas) in the first five conference games it’s NCAA tournament or bust. Plus we nearly took down KU in Lawrence if it weren’t for that missed goaltending.

This team needs to find a way to get back on track because this fan will absolutely be super disappointed if we aren’t in the NCAA tournament come March. These guys are good enough to do it as we have seen, and they still can. The number of Q1 wins we have is there and any win we get aside from Missouri is still a good or great win.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
chris beard's first season at tech they went 6-12
scott drew at baylor 3-13
jamie dixon at tcu 6-12

three very good coaches who did not do very well upon joining the conference. it takes time.

They all had more success at their previous stops than TJ had at UNLV. Thus the concern.

Reactions: CycloneErik

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
See but that's the biggest point. That the B12 is full of elite, experienced coaches, and ISU hired a young coach that is personal friends with the AD. It has worked out exceptionally well so far, and I'm excited about the start TJ has had. There are also a few smaller reasons for concern that I hope TJ is able to grow and overcome, namely the seeming lack of in-game counterpunches that we've seen when defenses have shut down the weave and action with the 5 having the ball at the top of the key. Can't wait to figure something out in between games in this league.

MattCampbell

Mar 12, 2021
Just like tj said in the presser, our offense is much better when we play good defense. Today, we played horrible defense. On to the next…