*** Official TCU vs #15 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
chris beard's first season at tech they went 6-12
scott drew at baylor 3-13
jamie dixon at tcu 6-12

three very good coaches who did not do very well upon joining the conference. it takes time.
I AGREE it takes time to recruit players that can win at this level & in the Big 12...

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
for the record i myself did not mean i think tj is bad; just that he is young, going against extremely experienced, extremely talented coaches every night in his first big 12 season, with probably the least talent of any team in the conference.

And this is the very reason many of us have told those who acted like children in 2015 insisting TJ "deserved" it why it wouldn't have gone the way they think had they hired him right after Fred.

I realize there was more talent to work with then.....but it wouldn't have gone like people thought.

I think right now his time at other places have really helped and he is doing about as good as any first year coach can do in this league. So they lost. The 2013/14 team after going 14-0 lost their next 4 of 5. It happens. I don't think anyone is doing anything special to stop the offense. I think the guys have hit a wall and are really in a mindset of "is it going in" on every shot. They had a lot of good looks..........just aren't going in.

TCU didn't impress that much and who is to say the guys don't go down there and hit shots like they did against UT and come out with a win? That is really the only thing going haywire right now. And I wouldn't be surprised if they go to Stillwater and come out with a win. They haven't forgot how to play.......ball just isn't going in.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
As bad as the game was the halftime "entertainment" was worse. I deserve my money back for having to sit thru that.
They could have had me telling "Dad" jokes at halftime and it would have been more entertaining. ####, an old Duane and Floppy would have been better. It made the game entertaining, and I thought that was impossible.

Reactions: NWICY and Texbudman

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Just like tj said in the presser, our offense is much better when we play good defense. Today, we played horrible defense. On to the next…
That was absolutely not horrible defense. Hell that was good defense. ISU did not have a ton of TOs, but when the did it led to a lot of run outs. Lots of long rebounds on bricks from three also led to transition for TCU.

That game was a complete offensive disaster in every way. Maybe that wasn’t an A+ defensive game, but it was very good, and with a D+ offensive game ISU wins. But that was just a complete and utter failure on offense.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
It's also up to the coaches to adjust.
I get what you are saying, but it's also a question of what adjustments are there to make with the players we have on the roster now? Hinson and Foster left the team after it was too late to replace them this year. That might not have made a difference, but I suspect it would have been different with both on the roster at this point.

Everybody has said over and over we need to drive the ball more. OK... other than Brockington and Hunter who can do that without turning it over? Even they turn it over doing that. Other teams know this and take this away on purpose. Not to mention, even when those guys get to the rim, they they miss more than they make. The fact that we can't make even wide open threes at a decent clip it makes it even harder to drive the ball. There is little risk for them to just take away drives and live with the results of our three point shooting.

TJ has said on podcasts/interviews all along, that we were going to be a "limited" offensive team. Our best chance was going to be creating live ball turnovers, effort plays, offensive rebounds, etc. That has certainly played out to be true.

Have you noticed that since we've been in conference play it's been getting harder and harder to create those live ball turnovers? Opposing teams have been coached to just take the 5 second call, or take a time out, heck, throw it out of bounds, rather than chucking a dangerous pass when trapped. They'll eat the dead ball turnover and avoid the two point run out we'd get with a steal on a bad pass. That takes away a good portion of our offense. TCU did exactly that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get what you are saying, but it's also a question of what adjustments are there to make with the players we have on the roster now? Hinson and Foster left the team after it was too late to replace them this year. That might not have made a difference, but I suspect it would have been different with both on the roster at this point.

Everybody has said over and over we need to drive the ball more. OK... other than Brockington and Hunter who can do that without turning it over? Even they turn it over doing that. Other teams know this and take this away on purpose. Not to mention, even when those guys get to the rim, they they miss more than they make. The fact that we can't make even wide open threes at a decent clip it makes it even harder to drive the ball. There is little risk for them to just take away drives and live with the results of our three point shooting.

TJ has said on podcasts/interviews all along, that we were going to be a "limited" offensive team. Our best chance was going to be creating live ball turnovers, effort plays, offensive rebounds, etc. That has certainly played out to be true.

Have you noticed that since we've been in conference play it's been getting harder and harder to create those live ball turnovers? Opposing teams have been coached to just take the 5 second call, or take a time out, heck, throw it out of bounds, rather than chucking a dangerous pass when trapped. They'll eat the dead ball turnover and avoid the two point run out we'd get with a steal on a bad pass. That takes away a good portion of our offense. TCU did exactly that.

Early success has led to folks overvaluing the team's actual abilities and for some reason there's a mental block that doesn't allow them to see the vast difference with about every team they play. Even the early big wins were mismatches but ISU looked far ahead of teams for cohesiveness.

I think there may be a chance for ISU to possibly get someone on the block or something to create more reaction from the defense (don't know who) but overall the calls for more creativity, driving to the basket, crashing for boards etc. remind me of the 'why doesn't ISU do that!?' when Ohio State has a receiver take a basic bubble for 50 yards.

This week will be interesting if ISU drops both games.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why is no one talking about the fact that our “Bigs”. (GC, TE, RJ, and JK) had only 6 points and even worse a combined 7 rebounds! Does anyone else see the problem with that?

Most of that is scheme. On offense we pull the bigs out to the top of the key. Then on defense we pull our bigs out to double/hedge.

Numerous times today that blob for TCU was out of by the 3 point line and we guarded him out there. This causes 2 issues 1) leaves the lane open with guards trying to compensate and 2) puts the bigs in horrible rebounding position.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
With a night to sleep on it, my biggest takeaway now is simply this: starting 12-0 was the worst thing that could've happened for our fan base
We caught some breaks and just had the perfect schedule for this roster, it is a flawed roster, that has a low ceiling, but 12-0 did put expectations in some fans eyes, when in reality it was fools gold

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We caught some breaks and just had the perfect schedule for this roster, it is a flawed roster, that has a low ceiling, but 12-0 did put expectations in some fans eyes, when in reality it was fools gold
I fell for it hook line and sinker. From here on out it's just about being realistic with who this team is and being happy with whatever the outcome is. Any sort of NCAA tournament appearance or even NIT berth should be viewed as positive

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I fell for it hook line and sinker. From here on out it's just about being realistic with who this team is and being happy with whatever the outcome is. Any sort of NCAA tournament appearance or even NIT berth should be viewed as positive

If the way this team plays is the hallmark and two years from now ISU has better matchups on the roster we should see some fun seasons.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I really enjoy watching this team, mainly because (almost all of the time), they care and work very hard. Are they the most talented group we have ever had. No. But they really seem to care about playing hard. For a long time it also looked like they were taking coaching seriously. The lack of offensive crispness and introduction of lazy passing has been a recent disappointment. The only thing that has caused any waivering in my opinion.

BUT, it is TJs first year with a group that has gelled relatively well AND is missing a few pieces that we MAY have been able to use, just prior to the start of the season.

I DO NOT want to lose out. This team has raised my expectations, no matter how much I resisted. But, if they do, that may have been the record most of us were expecting and were ready to live with based on the recent past.

We can wish for different players in the future (I, for one really appreciate the hell out of these guys), adjustments to help us win, now, etc., But for now, all we can do is support these guys and do what we can as fans in Hilton to help them overcome everything that stands in their way of success and support them as the cyclones they are. They want to win as much as we want them to and I have seen nothing that suggests they have or will give up on themselves or us.

Go state.

Reactions: NWICY and madguy30

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to reason with JSB. They have a lot invested in TJs failure.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to reason with JSB. They have a lot invested in TJs failure.
Yea. I get that. She's passionate and likes to "poke the bear" if you will.

Still... she has ISU's back and is a lunatic fan. That's what we need.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Most of that is scheme. On offense we pull the bigs out to the top of the key. Then on defense we pull our bigs out to double/hedge.

Numerous times today that blob for TCU was out of by the 3 point line and we guarded him out there. This causes 2 issues 1) leaves the lane open with guards trying to compensate and 2) puts the bigs in horrible rebounding position.
That all may be true. Hear me out on this...

I would be willing to bet that we spent the majority of time on defense in practice this summer and fall. Do you agree? It's not like football where you get the practice time to concentrate on one or the other as a player. You gotta do both. Based on shooting stats and our record and roster, I think TJ chose wisely. We are 14-5.

Problem is that everybody knows this now. Spend 6 months learning to play good defense (which we do) and now try to change the offense? Maybe that is what they are trying to do. Maybe why that is why there are people on offense seeming to not know what the plan is? I don't know.