***Official St. Louis Cardinals 2021 Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If only his hitting ability could match his confidence. Just need him to be an average hitter and his elite defense make him a solid player.

Yea, I really like him but he's proven to be a 4th outfielder type of guy. Nice for a late double switch to get some defense to protect a lead or an elite base runner in a comeback situation. If the rest of the lineup were clicking, I could live with his struggles but they need runs. Hopefully these back to back homers can get him going, I want him to stick around.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I like this Bader
I like Bader as long as we are getting offensive production from left and right. When we were playing Fowler in right, there was not enough offense to keep throwing Bader out there day after day.
If he could just hit .250 with 5 to 7 HR's and play gold glove level defense he is an assist, if he hits under .200 and the other outfielders are not hitting, we are in trouble.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
O’Neill & Carlson are maturing as MLB hitters. O’Neill’s struggles may have been tied to his lack of consistency due to injuries that kept him out of the line up. Off speed pitches have been Bader’s nemesis in the past, I am hopeful but will wait a month before passing judgment. I am not impressed with the current hitting coach and his analytics approach. DeJong, Carpenter, Bader and others are not ringing endorsements for his approach. Kudos to C. Martinez on his last two outings. If he is back to his prime years good things will happen.

Reactions: Aclone

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Tonights line up after Goldschmidt: .186 .106 .214 .179 .227 ! But DeGrom's been scratched so maybe Shildt can pull out another miracle.

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Just think with 17 games in a row trying to give occasional rest to starters. But Matt C batting so high in the order has been puzzling.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Tonights line up after Goldschmidt: .186 .106 .214 .179 .227 ! But DeGrom's been scratched so maybe Shildt can pull out another miracle.
For what it's worth, the league batting average (about .232) is apparently the lowest it's been since 1968 (year of the pitcher).

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I've always wanted Bader to put it together, he was one of the few guys that made them watchable a few years ago when he first came up. Him and Wong (sad to see him go) always brought some needed energy.
I heard the other night that the Cards are the second youngest team in baseball, which is amazing considering the ages of Waino and Yadi. Really need a couple of the young guys to work out. Small sample, but Carlson and Edman look like they belong. O'Neil, Bader, and DeJong need to show some consistency.
Overall I think the offense has enough pieces to be ok, the team will go as far as the pitching will take it. Like about every Cards team I can remember. The bullpen makes me nervous, too many throwers not enough pitchers.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Speaking of young Mr. Gorman...

That Springfield lineup is loaded. 3 first round picks. And 2 of 3 of our top prospects I believe I saw. Then Memphis has our top pitchers in Thompson and Liberatore. Not sure where Tommy Parsons ranks on our prospect board but he had an impressive first spring training this year too and he’s in Memphis

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Anyone knowledgeable on the MLB reduction of Minor League teams? I assume with this reduction that a corresponding number of annual signed players would drop. The freak Covid 19 shut down of our society really worked to the Owners favor in the public’s reaction to this change.

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Crazy Idea-
Sign Pujols (for cheap).
Let him play some Corner outfield spots(switch with young'ns for Defence, late in games), Pinch Hit, and DH for AL games?
Can't be much worse than:
OF Williams is sub .200
OF Bader is a ????

Probably wouldn't be much worse than Carp at 2B.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer