***Official Men's Basketball National Championship Game Thread***

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
He didn't push the guy, he grabbed him to show that he was fouling, then the guy tripped over his foot.

Didn't see it, but it sounds like a good call to me. I wish they'd emphasize a little more that your actually have to make a real play for the ball, not just start fouling to foul. That late in the game, everyone knows you are fouling just to foul, so you actually should have to make it look legit.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Didn't see it, but it sounds like a good call to me. I wish they'd emphasize a little more that your actually have to make a real play for the ball, not just start fouling to foul. That late in the game, everyone knows you are fouling just to foul, so you actually should have to make it look legit.
I think that's fine and dandy, but you can't do it in the NCAA tournament when it didn't happen in any game leading up to it.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

No kidding, this exact thing happened to us at the end of the Baylor game where they should have been called for intentionals. If you arent even attempting to get the ball it should be called.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
No kidding, this exact thing happened to us at the end of the Baylor game where they should have been called for intentionals. If you arent even attempting to get the ball it should be called.

There's a reason they call it this way though. Likely the play gets a lot more violent trying to make plays on the ball if you start enforcing it.

Baylor was different in that the ball wasnt even inbounded, as i recall.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I think that's fine and dandy, but you can't do it in the NCAA tournament when it didn't happen in any game leading up to it.

I can't think of the exact games off hand, but I have seen it called before where a defender just grabs the jersey and they call the intentional. Most make a little effort for the ball. As I said, I didn't see it, but if the defender just grabbed the jersey, without going for the ball, it was the correct call and it has been called before.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If that was a flagrant then the Fisher-Davis foul yesterday should have been a flagrant.
Yep, no play on the ball

giphy.gif

Reactions: tim_redd

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You can foul someone without making a play on the ball
Winner. Calling a flagrant foul in a crucial part of the game is High School level stuff. He swipes his arms down to wrap up a foul and then pulls back, as he is pulling back his arms his left leg lands right where the Arkansas players' foot was, resulting in a trip and a funky looking fall. From what I remember watching when I was working out, It was not a Flagrant 1. But if it wass, by the rule a f1, that is the softest flagrant 1 I've ever seen.

I just think if there is any sliver of doubt in your mind on a call like that, in such a crucial situation, the refs should always opt for the lesser of the punishments. Let the players decide the games, not the whistles. That being said, I am happy how it played out cause I had Arkansas winning:)

Edit: Here is a link that has a clip (http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/201...t-1-foul-call-seton-hall-ncaa-tournament-2017) and in fast motion it does look a bit more like a push than I initially thought, but I still don't believe it warranted a F1, the fall is what sold it I think.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The thing is they looked at the replay for awhile and still decided to call it. If they wouldnt have agreed they would have just waved it off and had him shoot free throws like normal.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You can foul someone without making a play on the ball
Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to: 1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent; 2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; 3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score; 2-BasketballRule from JC.indd 47 8/5/2013 9:09:28 AM 48 Rule 4 / Definitions 4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; and 5. Contact with a player making a throw-in. 6. Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 personal foul (see Rule 4-18.7)
Read the rule. It is clear. Announcers are saying it was a clearly correct call.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron