*** Official Kansas State vs #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Lol, if we were getting "intel" it sure looked to me like we weren't doing anything with it.
Right?? We blew a 14-point second-half lead, if we were spying on them it wasn't working very well!

Re: eligibility, don't quote me on this but fairly sure Gilbert and Jones both transferred with two years of eligibility remaining, so they can play at ISU next year too. Pav transferred with three years of eligibility remaining.

Replacing all the muscle we lose in the post (King, Ward, Big Rob) will be a question but the entire backcourt plus Watson and hopefully Milan could be back next year, so we'll be real deep as far as guards and wings go.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
And I do quote...

"He's look great in silver and black!"

NFL and NBA officiating is miles better than college officiating. Those professional leagues are 100%+ businesses while college still has some of that amateurism fading out of its DNA now.

The NFL and NBA wouldn't put resources into it if they felt it hurt rather than aided their bottom lines.

When you think about it officials cost is a drop in the bucket to what is made on the actual games. More so, when you consider the potential costs vs/benefits ratio, wouldn't it behoove the conferences/NCAA to have a standards committee that actively reviews, recruits, and rewards officials?

The same can be said with television crews for the games. Often us fans are like "they seriously can't find someone better?" and we aren't often wrong. When you think about how much better the products would be with competent officials AND tv crews personas, which would likely boost viewing numbers, the investment would pay for itself.

It's amazing how often I mute the tv or lose interest in a game because the combination of tv and/or officiating crews make the game unwatchable. Not sure how a casual (but avid) CBB fan could stay tuned into the game last night. We are loyal fans and readily admit it was a brutal watch. That's a problem.

Reactions: aauummm

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here's the clip of TJ getting info from the managers. I don't blame Tang for being upset.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Right?? We blew a 14-point second-half lead, if we were spying on them it wasn't working very well!

Re: eligibility, don't quote me on this but fairly sure Gilbert and Jones both transferred with two years of eligibility remaining, so they can play at ISU next year too. Pav transferred with three years of eligibility remaining.

Replacing all the muscle we lose in the post (King, Ward, Big Rob) will be a question but the entire backcourt plus Watson and hopefully Milan could be back next year, so we'll be real deep as far as guards and wings go.
Unless KState made the adjustments at halftime so ISU could no longer spy...When did they start having the manager stand at half court during timeouts?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
@HFCS

Also from my NBA friend...

Thoroughly impressed with Momcilovic. Would definitely want him in the draft as high as in the late lottery as a big-time Spurs fan. Good body, height, excellent footwork even if limited athletically and mediocre wingspan for his size, but his shooting and offensive moves made him go "wow."

He couldn't believe an 18-year old freshman had such a polished, NBA-ready offensive game.

If Gradey **** is a first round draft pick than Momcilovic definitely could be, though ****'s lack of success this year may have some teams questioning such a move.

I think it would benefit him to stay one more year. He's improved his defense immensely the last few months, but could use a college offseason to work on his body/footwork so that he's not beat on the first step. If that's somewhat (and understandably) a problem in college, it will definitely be a problem in the pros against consistently better athletes.

Offensively he needs to work a little bit on his dribble penetration (this will never be what he's known for but the more passable "tricks" you have in the NBA the better) more, but what he really needs to work on is his post up game. TBH I'm not sure why TJ doesn't have him post up more as he is virtually unguardable with that fadeaway. If he shows NBA teams he has that down? With passable defense and a lethal shot he could be a top 10 pick.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I hope some front row fan is able to confirm Tang’s in-game and post-game tirades about the mop kid allegedly texting a video of the K-State huddle. This rivals the grassy knoll and takes Tang’s goofiness to a new level.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Man, that was such BS. K-State teammate is who knocked him down! There should be some kind of "intra-team foul" rule.

You can also go to the 7:34 mark of the first half (3:56 on the video) and see the most obvious missed call of the game, which was the Jones body and arm contact on the McNair shot. No call.

On the possession before that Pavs passes to Milan in the corner, who traveled before badly missing the 3.

The King call was probably the worst phantom call of the game.

Simply put this crew was trash from start to finish. The only thing I thought they did well the entire game was not rewarding Lipsey with foul calls on contact where he was completely out of control and initiating it. Other than that? Trash!

• Haha
Reactions: Ozclone

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
If Gradey **** is a first round draft pick than Momcilovic definitely could be, though ****'s lack of success this year may have some teams questioning such a move.

I think it would benefit him to stay one more year. He's improved his defense immensely the last few months, but could use a college offseason to work on his body/footwork so that he's not beat on the first step. If that's somewhat (and understandably) a problem in college, it will definitely be a problem in the pros against consistently better athletes.

Offensively he needs to work a little bit on his dribble penetration (this will never be what he's known for but the more passable "tricks" you have in the NBA the better) more, but what he really needs to work on is his post up game. TBH I'm not sure why TJ doesn't have him post up more as he is virtually unguardable with that fadeaway. If he shows NBA teams he has that down? With passable defense and a lethal shot he could be a top 10 pick.
I think the issue with that comparison is that **** is a significantly better athlete, which gives him a higher ceiling as a well-rounded scorer. I think if we're talking about recent comparisons, the better comp for MM is Doug McDermott, who was still a lottery pick, but only after four college seasons and a lot of high-level scoring (albeit with a lower level of competition).

I agree with you about MM posting up more, and frankly, I'd say being more involved generally. He led the team with 19 points last night, but I honestly felt like they were a quiet 19 points, and they weren't making a point of getting it to him in scoring situations. That being said, I guess he's also taken a bit to get acclimated to Big 12 play. Last night was the first where he really seemed comfortable the entire game (and even then, he still missed those couple of big free throws).

I'll add that he also played really good defense last night when matched up with Kaluma. I was pretty skeptical when I saw them matched up early on, but MM really held his own.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
When you think about it officials cost is a drop in the bucket to what is made on the actual games. More so, when you consider the potential costs vs/benefits ratio, wouldn't it behoove the conferences/NCAA to have a standards committee that actively reviews, recruits, and rewards officials?

The same can be said with television crews for the games. Often us fans are like "they seriously can't find someone better?" and we aren't often wrong. When you think about how much better the products would be with competent officials AND tv crews personas, which would likely boost viewing numbers, the investment would pay for itself.

It's amazing how often I mute the tv or lose interest in a game because the combination of tv and/or officiating crews make the game unwatchable. Not sure how a casual (but avid) CBB fan could stay tuned into the game last night. We are loyal fans and readily admit it was a brutal watch. That's a problem.
I've longed believed that leagues (especially the NFL) purposefully want inconsistent and subpar officiating. Few things drum up more news and clicks than officiating controversies and it feels like they usually get massive engagement from the fans.

Dante

Dec 23, 2015
Maybe I’ll watch it again, seemed to me like he didn’t even touch MM.

Nobody is talking about first half play where we got a clean block and a ksu player kicked his legs and flopped to get 3 points in that blown call. The crew really did suck.
1706197886148.png
Sticks his right foot in there, does look like a foul, especially with all the fouls called, not sure how they could let that go.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You can also go to the 7:34 mark of the first half (3:56 on the video) and see the most obvious missed call of the game, which was the Jones body and arm contact on the McNair shot. No call.

On the possession before that Pavs passes to Milan in the corner, who traveled before badly missing the 3.

The King call was probably the worst phantom call of the game.

Simply put this crew was trash from start to finish. The only thing I thought they did well the entire game was not rewarding Lipsey with foul calls on contact where he was completely out of control and initiating it. Other than that? Trash!
They also didn't review the elbow from Lipsey when driving that drew blood. That's almost always reviewed and a T1 there would have been a huge change in the game

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Kansas State is #71 in NET this morning, needs to get to #30 for that to be a Q1 win. It could happen with their remaining strength of schedule (I count seven games against currently-ranked teams) but that's a pretty big jump with the conference season 1/3rd over already.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Didn't realize Milan had 19 last night. I'd say Curt Jones was the MVP again but that's a great game from Milan.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
View attachment 122805
Sticks his right foot in there, does look like a foul, especially with all the fouls called, not sure how they could let that go.

Oh wow…I hadn’t seen that. That is a real foul stepping on foot and tripping leg. Their only real gripe is the inadvertent elbow that would not have been called flagrant if reviewed, we had a boatload of crap calls.

There must have been some replay on the broadcast that looked like he just fell down…actually makes me feel better about MM as a closer because I thought he tripped himself.

Reactions: Statefan10

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Didn't realize Milan had 19 last night. I'd say Curt Jones was the MVP again but that's a great game from Milan.

They both played like leaders when Tamin had a below avg game for him. In the first half MM was doing a lot more than scoring too, he also had a sick pass toward end of game that caused ksu to foul the shooter.