*** Official Jackson State vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm slightly encouraged by what I saw yesterday. Was Christmas shopping all day, so watched replay in bed last night. Defense looked the best I've seen in the Prohm era, albeit against a SWAC team so not really a good measuring stick. Offense struggled quite a bit, which is frustrating, again considering it was vs a SWAC team. They mixed up their looks a lot between various zones and man defense, it was quite obvious which one our guys struggled with more. You'd like to think that by now they could figure out how to beat a zone...sadly, we don't seem to have the shooters to take advantage of it.

Liked what I saw from all the freshmen at various times. Prohm seemed to give them a bit more run last night, minus Foster who didn't play enough IMO. Blackwell and Walker even made contributions in the 2nd half which was nice to see. Dubar doesn't have a lot of natural playmaking ability on offense, hopefully he can become a grinder like Hogue/Ejim. Grab offensive boards and be ready for a kick out 3 every now and then.

Overall, we won so I guess I'd say it was a pretty good game. They are still struggling in areas they really can't afford to against good teams. Getting to the FT line fewer times than a SWAC team sucks, and 19 (!) turnovers will get you beat almost any night by a Big 12 opponent. They did outrebound JSU though, which was nice to be on the other side of that for a change. Solo played like the man we know he can be, 8 boards for the big fella! And we don't win the game without JC-L IMO.

Plenty to build on. I'd like to see more of the freshmen and less of Javan Johnson, no offense to the kid. Very loose handle and poor shooter for how much he likes to do those things.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Johnson has to be close to losing his starting job. He has Talley’s 3 pt shooting without the handle or passing ability. He must be able to hit 3’s in at least the low 30% range to be on the floor.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Johnson has to be close to losing his starting job. He has Talley’s 3 pt shooting without the handle or passing ability. He must be able to hit 3’s in at least the low 30% range to be on the floor.
I'm just not seeing much with Johnson. His shot looks ugly and he can barely dribble the ball at times. I would rather see Blackwell or Walker instead of Johnson. Hopefully there is a decrease in minutes for Johnson once Tre Jackson comes back. We need Tre back in the worst way.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
It sounded like Johnson has a hurt finger which could impact his dribble... I have liked him when he attacks the basket and not taken pull up jump shots...I think he needs to learn his role and not try to do to much.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It sounded like Johnson has a hurt finger which could impact his dribble... I have liked him when he attacks the basket and not taken pull up jump shots...I think he needs to learn his role and not try to do to much.
You can see the potential he has. I just think, to echo your point, he needs to play within himself and know what his abilities/capabilities are. If he keeps trying to play hero ball, it isn't going to work.

Reactions: Halincandenza

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Completely agree on Johnson, attack basket, needs to play within himself and know his capabilities. Stop jacking up 3's early in shot clock/or period and start rebounding. Body language is poor more often than not. Freshman need to be getting his minutes if he doesn't stop taking dumb shots.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
You can see the potential he has. I just think, to echo your point, he needs to play within himself and know what his abilities/capabilities are. If he keeps trying to play hero ball, it isn't going to work.

Yeah, every guy on this roster is forced to play like they are an option higher than their talent warrants.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
that game was a waste of time. glad the players can go home for xmas break.

I remember when I would have thought more strongly that the game experience would help, but the last 10+ years have shown that their minds won't be on this game, so it really doesn't provide a whole lot.
That's not a criticism of these players or of Prohm. This last buy-win game right before the holidays is never a full concentration effort or anything. Let them get to home like the other students.

• Agree
Reactions: larrysarmy

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Didn’t watch. Don’t Care.

Althetuna Overtime: Explore the true meaning of Althetuna’s post using context and the rhetorical device called irony.

Section 1. Does Althetuna really not “care” about Iowa State?

History indicates Althetuna does, in fact, care about Iowa State University (ISU) and more specifically about ISU athletics. Althetuna is a graduate of ISU’s College of Engineering program. Furthermore, two of his progeny have also received degrees from the beloved institution.

After graduation, Althetuna has regularly been seen attending ISU sporting events. In fact, it can be reported Althetuna is the multi-year holder of football season tickets and attended multiple basketball games even though he lives in a suburb of Minneapolis. Also, he has travelled to multiple post-season football and basketball events since graduation.

Finally, Althetuna is a supporter and regular visitor to an ISU athletics specific website called Cyclone Fanatic where he has been known to leave witty, insightful, and timely posts regarding ISU athletics and other topics. Although, his posts have become controversial as of late.

Nonetheless, the evidence clearly indicates Althetuna does “care” about ISU athletics so why does he say he doesn’t care? Furthermore, why would he specifically state “don’t care” and say nothing more?

Section 2. The true meaning of the post.

Irony: The expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

It can be safely assumed Althetuna is employing irony to emphasize his message but what message is he emphasizing? First, the “Didn’t watch. Don’t care” post has now appeared in two ISU basketball related threads so it’s logical to assume the message Althetuna is trying to impart is basketball related. Next, why would Althetuna not watch a specific game on television when he has travelled to watch similar sporting events in person?

This is where Althetuna asks his readers to understand the context around which the post is centered. A cursory review ISU’s basketball program indicates a recent systemic underperformance in contests won and the general performance of the team in general. In fact, one could argue, famed “Hilton Magic” no longer exists as evidenced by recent confounding losses in the coliseum bearing the same name as the fabled power that resides within. (Read more about “Hilton Magic” https://www.si.com/college/2015/12/11/iowa-state-beats-iowa-comeback-hilton-magic-monte-morris)

As such, one could read Althetuna’s post as a protest to the current state of the Iowa State basketball program. Furthermore, the pithiness of his comment indicates a reluctance to single out individual coaches or players he may believe are contributing to the team’s less-than-stellar performance.

Next Week’s Althetuna Overtime: I’ll explain the meaning behind the use of the laughing emoji in response to a serious post.

• Haha
Reactions: Cycl1

CliveClone17

Feb 24, 2015
Didn’t watch. Don’t Care.

Althetuna Overtime: Explore the true meaning of Althetuna’s post using context and the rhetorical device called irony.

Section 1. Does Althetuna really not “care” about Iowa State?

History indicates Althetuna does, in fact, care about Iowa State University (ISU) and more specifically about ISU athletics. Althetuna is a graduate of ISU’s College of Engineering program. Furthermore, two of his progeny have also received degrees from the beloved institution.

After graduation, Althetuna has regularly been seen attending ISU sporting events. In fact, it can be reported Althetuna is the multi-year holder of football season tickets and attended multiple basketball games even though he lives in a suburb of Minneapolis. Also, he has travelled to multiple post-season football and basketball events since graduation.

Finally, Althetuna is a supporter and regular visitor to an ISU athletics specific website called Cyclone Fanatic where he has been known to leave witty, insightful, and timely posts regarding ISU athletics and other topics. Although, his posts have become controversial as of late.

Nonetheless, the evidence clearly indicates Althetuna does “care” about ISU athletics so why does he say he doesn’t care? Furthermore, why would he specifically state “don’t care” and say nothing more?

Section 2. The true meaning of the post.

Irony: The expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

It can be safely assumed Althetuna is employing irony to emphasize his message but what message is he emphasizing? First, the “Didn’t watch. Don’t care” post has now appeared in two ISU basketball related threads so it’s logical to assume the message Althetuna is trying to impart is basketball related. Next, why would Althetuna not watch a specific game on television when he has travelled to watch similar sporting events in person?

This is where Althetuna asks his readers to understand the context around which the post is centered. A cursory review ISU’s basketball program indicates a recent systemic underperformance in contests won and the general performance of the team in general. In fact, one could argue, famed “Hilton Magic” no longer exists as evidenced by recent confounding losses in the coliseum bearing the same name as the fabled power that resides within. (Read more about “Hilton Magic” https://www.si.com/college/2015/12/11/iowa-state-beats-iowa-comeback-hilton-magic-monte-morris)

As such, one could read Althetuna’s post as a protest to the current state of the Iowa State basketball program. Furthermore, the pithiness of his comment indicates a reluctance to single out individual coaches or players he may believe are contributing to the team’s less-than-stellar performance.

Next Week’s Althetuna Overtime: I’ll explain the meaning behind the use of the laughing emoji in response to a serious post.
I was told there would be no math or philosophical ironicalism in this thread

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Except we need all the easy wins we could get. 2 wins currently with only conference games left + a road game at Mississippi State = maybe 3/4 wins total..

we're going to get absolutely destroyed the next 3 games...and if we can't beat KSU....man, we're looking at history....not the good kind.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
we're going to get absolutely destroyed the next 3 games...and if we can't beat KSU....man, we're looking at history....not the good kind.
That’s why it sucks to have games like Chicago State cancelled. Are they pretty meaningless? Sure, but I love watching Cyclone Hoops and that’s a game they could have won and I like watching wins haha

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron