*** Official Iowa Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Some stray postgame thoughts (non "push"-related) -

Brase worked the high/low post game really well with Lard. He's kind of a mixed bag right now. I can see the value of having him on the floor on offense. Everything flows a little better and I think he's a steadying influence there. But - and I don't know if this is just how he's always been or if it's related to his knee issues - he's so limited mobility wise. The effort is there but he really struggles on the glass and on defense in the paint. I'm hoping that as his knee gets stronger it becomes less of an issue.

I think they better get ready to see more full court pressure from opponents. They definitely got a little loose with the ball once Iowa went to a full court press late in the second half. I think they turned it over twice and nearly turned it over a third time. Chalk some of it up to inexperience, but they will have to get better at handling it.

DJ did a nice job finding other ways to contribute even when his shot wasn't falling. He played pretty good D on Bohannon for most of the second half chasing him through multiple screens.

Lindell Wigginton is getting better by the game. And I loved how he embraced Hilton Magic last night. After he hit that corner three and yelled at the crowd...you knew he was feeling it. Awesome to see him and the other young kids develop.

Terrence Lewis looked good too. He looked very confident last night and ready to shoot if the defender gave him even a little room.

As for Iowa, it was more or less what I expected. They have some good talent in the front court but that PG spot screws it all up for them. Putting Bohannon on the ball takes him away from what he should be doing, but they don't have any other options. And this is just a philosophical disagreement, but I don't like how Fran rotates through so many players. Find your best 8-10 and let them play. You jerk guys' minutes around on a game by game basis like that, you chip away at their confidence.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Good to pull out the win. Really impressive actually considering Iowa killed ISU on the boards and Jackson had such a rough shooting night. The guards did great job forcing Iowa guards to try and make tough passes that resulted in TO's. Jackson did a great job chasing Bohannon in the second half.
Thought that was Young's best game of the year. Lewis continues to look more comfortable out there as does Brase. Brase was really important last night.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Some stray postgame thoughts (non "push"-related) -

Brase worked the high/low post game really well with Lard. He's kind of a mixed bag right now. I can see the value of having him on the floor on offense. Everything flows a little better and I think he's a steadying influence there. But - and I don't know if this is just how he's always been or if it's related to his knee issues - he's so limited mobility wise. The effort is there but he really struggles on the glass and on defense in the paint. I'm hoping that as his knee gets stronger it becomes less of an issue.

I think they better get ready to see more full court pressure from opponents. They definitely got a little loose with the ball once Iowa went to a full court press late in the second half. I think they turned it over twice and nearly turned it over a third time. Chalk some of it up to inexperience, but they will have to get better at handling it.

DJ did a nice job finding other ways to contribute even when his shot wasn't falling. He played pretty good D on Bohannon for most of the second half chasing him through multiple screens.

Lindell Wigginton is getting better by the game. And I loved how he embraced Hilton Magic last night. After he hit that corner three and yelled at the crowd...you knew he was feeling it. Awesome to see him and the other young kids develop.

Terrence Lewis looked good too. He looked very confident last night and ready to shoot if the defender gave him even a little room.

As for Iowa, it was more or less what I expected. They have some good talent in the front court but that PG spot screws it all up for them. Putting Bohannon on the ball takes him away from what he should be doing, but they don't have any other options. And this is just a philosophical disagreement, but I don't like how Fran rotates through so many players. Find your best 8-10 and let them play. You jerk guys' minutes around on a game by game basis like that, you chip away at their confidence.

If you look at the efficiency numbers Brase is the best defensive rebounder on the team and second best overall behind Lard. And I don't think his defense has been bad at all. Especially considering how soon it has been since he was even fully cleared for contact.

Totally agree with Fran's rotations. Play your best guys. Their best guys should be playing the majority of the minutes. It is just weird. They only have one guy, Bohannon plaing over 25 minutes a game. Cook only plays 25 a game. The thing with this team though is that the roster construction makes it even more difficult because their best players are all 4s. And they only have 1 guard who should be starting and he is at the wrong position. One thing is for sure, the fans and media are putting a ton of weight on Conor McCaffery when he comes back because I keep hearing them say, well Conor is coming back and he can play point... but can he? It seems like it is just assumed he can step in and everything will be fine.

• Winner
Reactions: SolarGarlic

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If you look at the efficiency numbers Brase is the best defensive rebounder on the team and second best overall behind Lard. And I don't think his defense has been bad at all. Especially considering how soon it has been since he was even fully cleared for contact.

Totally agree with Fran's rotations. Play your best guys. Their best guys should be playing the majority of the minutes. It is just weird. They only have one guy, Bohannon plaing over 25 minutes a game. Cook only plays 25 a game. The thing with this team though is that the roster construction makes it even more difficult because their best players are all 4s. And they only have 1 guard who should be starting and he is at the wrong position. One thing is for sure, the fans and media are putting a ton of weight on Conor McCaffery when he comes back because I keep hearing them say, well Conor is coming back and he can play point... but can he? It seems like it is just assumed he can step in and everything will be fine.

Yeah, I don't know about the metrics but just watching last night I thought Brase struggled on the glass and I thought Pemsl was eating his lunch in the paint when he got hurt. But you're right; he did just get cleared to play not long ago and it might just be him shaking off some rust. At any rate he definitely brings more to the table than he takes away from it. Those were some gorgeous feeds to Lard and Solomon from the high post.

And yeah, I almost feel bad for Conor McCaffrey. He wasn't supposed to play a big role for them before he got mono. And now he's supposed to come back and stabilize the PG position? Tall order. I do think that the best thing to do is throw him in the deep end because they don't have any other options and this season looks like a lost cause for Iowa anyway. Might as well let him play and learn on the job.

Reactions: rholtgraves

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, I don't know about the metrics but just watching last night I thought Brase struggled on the glass and I thought Pemsl was eating his lunch in the paint when he got hurt. But you're right; he did just get cleared to play not long ago and it might just be him shaking off some rust. At any rate he definitely brings more to the table than he takes away from it. Those were some gorgeous feeds to Lard and Solomon from the high post.

And yeah, I almost feel bad for Conor McCaffrey. He wasn't supposed to play a big role for them before he got mono. And now he's supposed to come back and stabilize the PG position? Tall order. I do think that the best thing to do is throw him in the deep end because they don't have any other options and this season looks like a lost cause for Iowa anyway. Might as well let him play and learn on the job.

It's not like Conor can fix the classic Fran end-of-game failures. Being a coach's son only really helps when your coach dad can coach those situations.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Fran needs to stop his meltdowns, they clearly carry over to his players. You know once Francon gets to 5ish, the team also has a meltdown.

Yeah. A team takes on the personality of its coach. Last night you saw the best and worst case scenarios of that in the same game. Prohm's teams rarely get flustered. And Fran's teams consistently fall apart as soon as he starts to lose his temper.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Think it is also good that ISU gets right back out there on Sunday and then has several days to prep for UNI. If they can beat UNI it will take away one of the losses I thought they would get in Non con. Also like that they start with KSU at home for the Big 12. Start with a very winnable game.

CliveClone17

Feb 24, 2015
One thing is for sure, the fans and media are putting a ton of weight on Conor McCaffery when he comes back because I keep hearing them say, well Conor is coming back and he can play point... but can he? It seems like it is just assumed he can step in and everything will be fine.[/QUOTE]

So a true freshman who hasn't practiced for a month, has never played in a college game, and wasn't particularly known for his PG skills is going to turn the season around! All righty then. I'll have some of whatever they are smoking out east.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am enjoying watching this team. No expectations. They are somewhat unpredictable and fun to watch. Really like the improvement so far. After the first two games of the season, I think most of us were thinking we would really struggle to score all season and we would get thumped by a team like Iowa. I'm glad it hasn't gone that way.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I am enjoying watching this team. No expectations. They are somewhat unpredictable and fun to watch. Really like the improvement so far. After the first two games of the season, I think most of us were thinking we would really struggle to score all season and we would get thumped by a team like Iowa. I'm glad it hasn't gone that way.

Totally agree. Very fun watching this team grow and watching the young guys improve.

Reactions: bozclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Told the Hok who's sitting near me at work my thoughts on the game. He was not happy and he was at the game last night.

First I said that's a bad team Fran puts on the floor and a loss to a team w/ a RPI over 200 would of really hurt.

Three major factors that resulted in the margin of victory.

1) Rebounding: -22 half of this was the result of not getting 50/50 balls the other half was the fact that every brick somehow ricocheted directly to a waiting sloth. One we need to fix the other, dumb luck. Accounted for approximately 15 points in Iowa's favor.

2) Off night shooting mainly DJax but to some extent NWB. Cost us about 10 points of cushion.

3) Iowa's FT shooting, wow they sucked easily should of had 5 or more go in if they opened their eyes.

After you factor those three into the final we'd be looking at about a 25 point margin which seems accurate.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Hopefully we can rebound better going forward. I love how calm and collected we play, but when it comes to rebounding we could use a little intensity. It is a mindset that made guys like Barkley who didn’t have the height amazing rebounds. I think Lard could become that, but not if he has to worry about foul trouble so much. They should bring some wrestlers/linebackers into practice and do some rebounding drills. Wrestlers make me laugh playing basketball, but they aren’t afraid of a little contact. And can you imagine Lanning learning out the paint?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron