*** Official Iowa Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Except this is college basketball, and a conference game means absolutely nothing more than a non-con game in terms of NCAA tournament. Bottom line is every game has tourney implications, and having the slowest guy we might face all year beat our guards down the court to cleanup fast break misses is a huge red flag.

I couldn't watch but was there anything specifically from a scheme standpoint that stood out as red flags from the get go or throughout the game?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

the first 15 minutes of the game, he needed to dominate the ball and get us into sets. As soon as he received the ball, he got rid of it.

that’s not by design. He’s the best player on the floor, it’s his team, and he deferred.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Well, could have been a 25-30 pt loss.

Give Lewis more time. Jacobson flashing to the middle or down low, him on the perimeter is not going to work. Grill and Jackson - non-factors. Could go on and on.

mike tries. He is limited. He wants to lead. Unfortunately he needs to play the fewest minutes in the post rotation

caleb is going to be really solid. But if he can’t make an open shot, it’s tough. Tre played like a freshmen in his little run tonight.

tyrese in the middle of the zone was good for a bit, but again the team was listless and the effort and toughness was really lacking.

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
Tonight was an absolute disgrace. This is the first cyclone basketball game I can remember where we literally never stood a chance at winning. What’s troubling is the players outside of Tyrese looked like they didn’t give a ****. Even more troubling is trying to figure out what on earth Prohm came up with for a game plan. Time and time again he has shown he’s unwilling to take players out while they play abysmally but doesn’t even give Conditt enough minutes every day.

Iowa talked a bunch of **** and then came in a beat the piss out of us. On our own court. When was the last time we beat them at anything? It’s been wayyyyyy too long. Hilton Magic hasn’t felt alive since Prohm took over.

Prohm is a great recruiter but damn he cannot coach at all.

Uh, how quickly we forget this. Another Prohm masterpiece.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...ate-56-panthers-pull-off-big-upset/857666001/

• Winner
Reactions: bthebutcher

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm in the camp that this team is going nowhere this year.
-every guard who is not named Haliburton is below average and better figure out how to shoot in the very near future, or we're going to be bad bad.
-Bolton is listed at 6'3", but I swear he's 5'10" max.
-Nixon can't shoot, and in my opinion is way to small to be an effective defender. This is a big miss in my opinion.
-Grill isn't good and if it's between him and Lewis, I pick Lewis. His D can't get worse.
-Jackson is a Freshman, but he's been underwhelming.
-Solo and Jacobson are middle of the road bigs in the B12, so I'm not expecting much.
-George needs more minutes, as I think he's going to be good.

However, I'm still in the Prohm can coach camp. Losing THT and Wigginton early are huge for this team in my opinion. Either one of them would've helped a ton. No excuse for missing on the guards (this years class was bad), but I think help is coming next year. ...unfortunately this year is going to suck and not sure who our PG will be next year.

Prohm ruined Wiggy and lost THT because he ruined Wiggy. Prohm can recruit somewhat but he can't coach. Who loses their entire moderately touted freshman class a month into the fall semester? I forgot about that.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I couldn't watch but was there anything specifically from a scheme standpoint that stood out as red flags from the get go or throughout the game?
Is turning and watching the ball on a shot on defense while Iowa guys go right past you to get a rebound considered a schematic thing?

How about Jacobsen double teaming Garza per the game plan, then mysteriously leaving the double team to go guard empty court on the corner while Garza scores? How about Garza going baseline to baseline and beating three of our guys back on a fast break to rebound and finish? Or Wieskamp and McCaffery getting into the lane and finishing with our bigs having their back turned and oblivious to the guy driving right behind them?

I don't know that there is a schematic or gameplanning problem, but Prohm isn't getting these guys to execute consistently, sometimes on basic things.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron