*** Official IOWA STATE vs Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I don't really think Rocco was that bad overall. But obviously he had 4-5 bad plays (the two TD overthrows, the interception, and at least 1-2 more near INTs). Coming from a redshirt freshman though, it happens, especially on a rainy day on the road. I especially don't expect him to miss those easy TDs moving forward.

To have those misses, plus a couple missed opportunities defensively, and still win by 12 on the road against a Big 12 team is still something worth appreciating. Yes, I know Baylor is not a good football team, but I think they're more like your run-of-the mill non-bowl team than they are like Kansas in the 2010s.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Can we all take a minute to bask in the sheer idiocy that was Baylors PAT decisions? I'm genuinely in awe of how boneheaded those choices were.

Yeah - he chased that missed XP all game and not only did he never get it back, but he didn't convert a single one of them and it forced them to need to score another TD at the end.

• Agree
Reactions: wintersmd

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, it got scary there for a while. But we were always in control.

Ultimately, 2 of Baylor's TD's were from a short field from a TO, and a busted coverage (still a good play call to their credit)

Sucked being on the wrong end of those, and need to clean those up, but our defense held them when they needed to. Probably could've put the game away earlier if Pendergrass hadn't been such a pest.

Reactions: DrShip and jsb

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah - he chased that missed XP all game and not only did he never get it back, but he didn't convert a single one of them and it forced them to need to score another TD at the end.
Poor PAT choices and wasting 2nd half timeouts, they could have really made us pay at the end there for our sloppy play.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
I don't really think Rocco was that bad overall. But obviously he had 4-5 bad plays (the two TD overthrows, the interception, and at least 1-2 more near INTs). Coming from a redshirt freshman though, it happens, especially on a rainy day on the road. I especially don't expect him to miss those easy TDs moving forward.

To have those misses, plus a couple missed opportunities defensively, and still win by 12 on the road against a Big 12 team is still something worth appreciating. Yes, I know Baylor is not a good football team, but I think they're more like your run-of-the mill non-bowl team than they are like Kansas in the 2010s.
He wasn't terrible, but I think it was his worst game of the season. There were a few miscues and bunnies he should have hit.

This isn't a complaint: he's a freshman and learning. If this ends up as his worst game of the season I'll take it! Best part is regardless of the mistakes, he didn't get n his own head and let it snowball. Very impressed with his play so far this year.

QBEagles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2014
Can we all take a minute to bask in the sheer idiocy that was Baylors PAT decisions? I'm genuinely in awe of how boneheaded those choices were.
I think the second one is fine. Figure out if it's a one or two possession game early. Don't know about the first one though, and their clock management was awful. To be fair his 4th down calls were the only reason the game was close, but the bigger problem with Aranda is he's following the trajectory of a guy that can scheme, but not recruit or develop talent.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I know we can play the what if game all night, but what if Rocco hadn't missed the 2 wide open TD passes? We would have emptied our bench for the 4th qtr.

Rocco didn't have his best game and we still won on the road. That's saying something.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Was there a more anticlimactic 4th down than Baylor's second to last drive? 4th and 4, and they go right up the middle for 2 yards. There was no reaction from the crowd, no reaction from the announcers, not much of a celebration from our defense. It was a big play, but you'd never have known it.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and jaj040

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Was there a more anticlimactic 4th down than Baylor's second to last drive? 4th and 4, and they go right up the middle for 2 yards. There was no reaction from the crowd, no reaction from the announcers, not much of a celebration from our defense. It was a big play, but you'd never have known it.

I didn't think it was a bad call, given we couldn't tackle Pendergrass for **** up until that point. I'm thrilled we were prepared for it (captain obvious).

If Baylor fan wants to be mad about any calls, Aranda's 2 pt decisions were puzzling. Failing to convert those kept it at a two possession game at a critical time.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
It was all around weird. I thought they had the downs wrong or something.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Weird things always seem to happen in Waco, it’s a ****** up part of the world. No matter how it goes, if you come out with a win, it’s a good day. All of the off **** we had happen today, I am chalking up to Waco being Wacko.

Good job getting out of that ******** with a win.