*** Official IOWA STATE vs Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
There’s not much a guy can do many targeting calls except defy physics. It’s the dumbest rule in all of sports.
It's dumb trying to protect players from serious spine injuries? Maybe they should learn to tackle correctly then instead of trying to make highlight reel hit with his head down.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
99.9% of the time I would agree.

This is a case though where they were DEAD. And we , at least momentarily, gave them life. That's a dangerous thing to do in sports.

Will it cost us? I don't know. But its dangerous to let someone who you've been dominating up off the ground and give them a sliver of hope, which is what they have now. If we go 3 and out turn it over quick, that hope grows.

We need a great first 5 minutes
And the rain comes down harder. Very dumb cloclock mgt.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
99.9% of the time I would agree.

This is a case though where they were DEAD. And we , at least momentarily, gave them life. That's a dangerous thing to do in sports.

Will it cost us? I don't know. But its dangerous to let someone who you've been dominating up off the ground and give them a sliver of hope, which is what they have now. If we go 3 and out turn it over quick, that hope grows.

We need a great first 5 minutes

Yep. Dropped pick 6 and it could have been 24-0.

Good overall half on the road but a ton of missed opportunities and sloppy turnovers.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Need to get some points in the opening drive of H2.

The end of that first half was just brutal.
-dropped INT that could have gone for six.
-throw an interception
-targeting causing us to lose Tampa.
-Baylor TD to give them so hope and shift momentum.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
That was our best half of the season, if we can get past the last 2 minutes. Baylor did nothing, offense is looking sharp, and we get the ball up 11 after half.
Offense has 2 turn overs and missed a wide open man for a TD.

I would say offense has moved the ball. I would not say it's been sharp. Has it played badly? No. But IMO if the offense was sharp its 28-0 or 24-0 instead of 17-6.

Defense has been sharp. Yes, holding them at the end would have been nice of course. But that score is on the offense as much as them

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Baylor player did lower himself bracing for the hit and there was no helmet to helmet contact, should be no targeting.
It doesn’t matter. There is no Drake Stoops exception where a ***** receiver drops their head, but there 100% should be. If it was about safety, make the rule such that it actually changes dangerous behavior that can be changed, when a receiver drops down to expose the crown of their helmet they should penalized.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
He launched himself, lowered his shoulder, and only tried to lay the hit. That's sloppy ass football and after years of having targeting rules every player should know better. Zero reason to EVER lower your head and launch. Go in to make a ******* tackle, with your face mask up, and looking to wrap players up.

The let up comment was dum , like 90 percent of the words the announcers uttered, but that was a terrible play by Tampa.
I really didn't see any launch, but he laid the wood with his shoulder to the neck & head area of a receiver. And they'll call that targeting now days every time.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The timeout to get the ball back and be aggressive was just an awful decision. Up 17-0 on the road in weather and getting the ball after half is not the time to be aggressive.

We'd be ******** if they hadn't done that. How many times have I read on here about not being aggressive and not having a killer instinct? Many times.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I should feel better being up 17-7 at half, but a few what ifs and we would be up by 24.

Seems like 2nd half will come down to ISU getting a run game going in 2nd half, especially if hard rain continues. Also, we need to figure a way to put pressure on BU QB. If Baylor executes in first half they might be up.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It wouldnt be so bad if the penalty wasn't so severe. Ejection seems over the top most of the time.

Basketball has it right. Flagrant 1 for "basketball plays" that went wrong, Flagrant 2 for legitimate foul play.

Right now the targeting penalty is too punitive for the "1" level type hits, but you could also make an argument one half ejection may not be punitive enough for the Vontaze Burfict style head hunting.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Need to get some points in the opening drive of H2.

The end of that first half was just brutal.
-dropped INT that could have gone for six.
-throw an interception
-targeting causing us to lose Tampa.
-Baylor TD to give them so hope and shift momentum.
We are Iowa State.

LivedinAimes1976

Oct 30, 2021
That was a really unfortunate last two minutes there. Gotta come out of half and put the end of that half out of their minds. Surprised they had no one in the backfield and threw the ball right before the interception

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I should feel better being up 17-7 at half, but a few what ifs and we would be up by 24.

Seems like 2nd half will come down to ISU getting a run game going in 2nd half, especially if hard rain continues. Also, we need to figure a way to put pressure on BU QB. If Baylor executes in first half they might be up.

Well we are up 17-6.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Baylor player did lower himself bracing for the hit and there was no helmet to helmet contact, should be no targeting.
The offensive player will get away with lowering his head there, it was a blow to the head or neck area on a defenseless player. It was called correctly, a play like that really puts the defender in a no-win situation. At least it occurred in the first half and he can play next week.