*** Official Iowa State at West Virginia Game (Day) Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Well, hi, Legion. I was wondering if any of you guys would find your way over. You guys think you got this one?

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone else remember last year's game in Morgantown? I think we were up by around 30 at halftime (or at least we got it to 30 at one point) and he had about a thousand 3 pointers to that point than all the sudden WVU storms back and makes it a game in the final 5 minutes. Completely wild.

The game in Ames was very similar as well and we won at the buzzer after leading by 20ish the entire time too.

Just found the box score, ISU largest lead was 27. WVU got it down to 4 with 40 seconds left and we won by 9 at the FT line.

Iowa State Cyclones vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Recap - March 09, 2013 - ESPN

Last edited:

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Anyone else remember last year's game in Morgantown? I think we were up by around 30 at halftime (or at least we got it to 30 at one point) and he had about a thousand 3 pointers to that point than all the sudden WVU storms back and makes it a game in the final 5 minutes. Completely wild.

The game in Ames was very similar as well and we won at the buzzer after leading by 20ish the entire time too.

Just found the box score, ISU largest lead was 27. WVU got it down to 4 with 40 seconds left and we won by 9 at the FT line.

Iowa State Cyclones vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Recap - March 09, 2013 - ESPN

I don't know how good you all are compared to last year but we are much better than last year. That team was totally dysfunctional.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

The scary part is that they're even better from behind the arc this year. Shooting 37% instead of 32%, making 7.8 per game instead of 5.3.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Legion, what does Staten's three point shot look like? I know his percentage is up this year, but he hasn't hit more than one in any game and he has only taken a handful of them, only attempting two in a game twice. Has anyone dropped off of him this year and dared him to make outside shots?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Gonna be a tough one, but there's no such thing as a gimme in the Big 12 this year. I like ISU to get a hard fought win and come home a little bruised up. Huggins teams are always a pain to play against.

wvubball

Jun 2, 2013
I don't know how good you all are compared to last year but we are much better than last year. That team was totally dysfunctional.

That's for sure. I'll also point out how incomplete we are. We only have 9 scholarship players after Huggs kicked Aaric Murray off the team and our athletic bigs Elijah Macon and Jonathan Holton were forced to red-shirt. We basically have three real bigs, two of whom are true freshman. The other, Kevin Noreen, will likely not score a single point tonight, and will finish the game with a minimum of four fouls.

Our lack of a front court puts a lot of pressure on our guards, and our lack of bodies in general is a big reason for our back-court players getting so many minutes. Our bigs get in foul trouble pretty much every game.

Oh, and a note on the newspaper clipping you guys posted. The student group Mountaineer Maniacs choose a different player every game to be the 'bum,' and they just boo every time he touches the ball. The hope is that they can get under the skin of a key player. I knew they'd pick Kane, but I have to admit I was hoping they wouldn't. I go to every game but I've never actually seen that newspaper feature before. I wondered how everyone knew who to boo.

Will we win? No idea, but I can tell you that the Coliseum has been an awfully fun place to be the last couple of games and our players will think they're going to win. Can't wait to head over with my son this evening. Here's to an exciting, injury free game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Oh, and a note on the newspaper clipping you guys posted. The student group Mountaineer Maniacs choose a different player every game to be the 'bum,' and they just boo every time he touches the ball. The hope is that they can get under the skin of a key player. I knew they'd pick Kane, but I have to admit I was hoping they wouldn't.

Yeah, I wouldn't want them to pick Kane if I were a Mountaineer either. Kane is the kind of guy that will just thrive on that kind of thing. I really doubt it will get under his skin. I could see it bothering Ejim more.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Nasty school rag. Is everyone on their newspaper interning for Rupert Murdoch?

WVeer

Feb 9, 2014
Legion, what does Staten's three point shot look like? I know his percentage is up this year, but he hasn't hit more than one in any game and he has only taken a handful of them, only attempting two in a game twice. Has anyone dropped off of him this year and dared him to make outside shots?

Normally people try to play Staten tight when he hits the 3 point arc. No one has really dared him to shoot the 3 because he has the ability to take 3 quick steps and pull up from midrange just because of his ability to drive the ball.

Now as far as how we play at home. We shoot a lot better as a team and Terry Henderson is much more comfortable driving and pulling up from 3. If Terry or Nathan Adrian can make shots we're dangerous.

The player that is finally starting to find his rhythm though is Remi Dibo a 6'7 Junior from France. He's starting to drive the ball more and as far as pure shooter he's the best we have.

Normally Harris and Staten get their points regardless but we have lived and died by needing someone else to step up and be that 3rd or 4th guy and as far as that goes it has been pretty inconsistent.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011

Staten is not our 3 pt guy. He's got a good short range jumper and can drive past anyone. He is freakishly quick. Eron Harris is one of our 3 pt guys. He's not afraid to throw it up from a long way out.

WVeer

Feb 9, 2014
Staten is not our 3 pt guy. He's got a good short range jumper and can drive past anyone. He is freakishly quick. Eron Harris is one of our 3 pt guys. He's not afraid to throw it up from a long way out.

His heat check is usually around 3 feet past half court lol

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
This got me all kinds of giddy -

Possibly overshadowed by his 20-for-24 shooting was his career-high 18 rebounds.On the team's three-game winning streak, he's averaging 30.7 points and 15.7 rebounds and is atop the Big 12 in scoring at 19.8 points per game. Ejim said there was no departure from the Cyclones' normal plan in the special game.

Iowa State Cyclones vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Preview - February 10, 2014 - ESPN

If you think that's impressive, over the past one games, he's averaging 48 points and 18 rebounds.

In fact, there was a stretch there where I'm pretty sure he was averaging 12 points per minute! Wow!

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
If you think that's impressive, over the past one games, he's averaging 48 points and 18 rebounds.

In fact, there was a stretch there where I'm pretty sure he was averaging 12 points per minute! Wow!

Thats 480 points/game.

So if he doesn't score more than 200 tonight, is it considered a disappointing night?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I was hatin some Jabarie Hinds in that game. I remember following it on ESPN's gamecast on my phone. I thought I was going to need a new phone before we finally stopped the bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron