*** Official Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(day) Thread ***

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Matt Thomas continues to impress - loved his 'D' and steal with about 4.5 minutes left, and then his drive to the hoop for 2. He is becoming a more complete basketball player & I love it!! I'm not so sure we win this game as comfortably as we did down the stretch with Hoiberg. Our "D" is definitely more improved (just gotta work on not giving up as many offensive rebounds).

Really, this is the type of player he actually is. He was out in a role previously that didn't necessarily suit him. If you look at him in high school, this is exactly the kind of way he played that made him highly regarded. His performance in a single three point tournament is what suddenly made people think he was a sharpshooter (and because the staff kind of presented him that way.)

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Georges threw to Naz who was also out of bounds, who then threw back to Georges who drove straight into the lane for an easy and one. Looked like two or three Illinois players froze.

Niang was waiting to inbound, and Naz or somebody ran back, out of bounds, drawing a defender. Since you're able to pass the ball along the baseline out of bounds, Niang passed to the other guy, then ran inbounds and charged up the court. Created a lot of confusion as nobody had picked up Georges.

Thanks that's what I thought I saw, I didn't realize that it was even legal, was awesome watching Georges go to the rack.

Looked like Naz was just jumping out of bounds at the moment he caught it.

Last edited:

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Remember his freshman year when he didn't know what the hell was going on playing man to man D? He's really made himself a solid all around player.

I've always thought that Matt had quick hands on defense. Not always quick feet, but definitely quick hands. Over the last couple of years he commonly slapped balls away (often for a steal for someone else). I do think he has really improved with his feet this year, keeping up with guys on the drive. But I don't think that is a factor of not knowing "what the hell was going on", but rather just a matter of experience and improvement.

32Cyclone Fan

Jan 31, 2008
Prohm and Gottlieb are twins.

I wonder if they are related. I thought the same thing the first time I saw Gottlieb after Prohm came. I sent their pictures to Sound Off for the Look Alike segment but they didn't use it that week. I don't know if they sometimes use entries in later shows or not. but I have missed some Sound Off shows since and would be interested to know if they used it later but more importantly to see if they think Gottlieb and Prohm Look Alike.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
McKay doesn't seem to be handling the time spent on the bench very well on Twitter.... Ugh

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
McKay doesn't seem to be handling the time spent on the bench very well on Twitter.... Ugh
I could tell he wasn't happy as he was pulling a BDJ at times ( not cheering as we scored while the rest of the bench did)...hope he gets over that and realizes he was part of the win, and that what's best for the team should always come first....

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I could tell he wasn't happy as he was pulling a BDJ at times ( not cheering as we scored while the rest of the bench did)...hope he gets over that and realizes he was part of the win, and that what's best for the team should always come first....

My thoughts exactly. I did notice him leaning back on the bench like BDJ used to do. I think we have enough leadership on the time that this will be the last time we see that kind of attitude.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Yuck.

He was the key guy last night and not so much tonight. He probably needs to calm down. More often than not, he's going to be very important.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
McKay needs to stop being so damn emotional. You're gonna have some games where you scored 23 points and you're gonna have games where you score 3 points. Not every game is gonna be yours.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If McKay has to dribble the ball more than 3 times he needs to pass. He gets that hell or high water look that he's going to take it no matter what. Cross over yesterday was great but don't channel Percy.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
McKay needs to stop being so damn emotional. You're gonna have some games where you scored 23 points and you're gonna have games where you score 3 points. Not every game is gonna be yours.

No ****. He just had some tweet about going back to Milwaukee for a few days.

Luckily, he's good friends with Monte who should be able to beat some sense into him.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
If McKay has to dribble the ball more than 3 times he needs to pass. He gets that hell or high water look that he's going to take it no matter what. Cross over yesterday was great but don't channel Percy.
You could tell Prohm got on Jameel about that "if I get the ball anywhere near the paint, I am shooting no matter what" attitude at half time, as he actually passed out several times in the 2nd half....but it wasn't his night and we played better when he was out, so Prohm rolled with it...won't be the norm....

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
McKay struggles sometimes against teams with size. We were a better team without him tonight. I don't tweet but if he has sour words, I'd sit him ne t game too. No room for that crap.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron