***OFFICIAL FINALS THREAD***

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Same here, have no idea where to start. He said it should be pretty general tho, so Im not overly worried

Not too worried either. I've already gone through my finals-ritual of calculating how bad I can do on exams and still pull C's, and I've got a loooooooot of room. With everything being essay questions you can always manage to pull out some points on all the questions.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Spent the whole day studying for accounting. Have animal science 225 in the morning but I'm not about to look through hundreds of slides to try and study for this thing. (no practice exams, review sheets, etc.) Winging it. Oh well.

which one is that? swine or beef? I took a lot of An Sci classes but don't recall that one.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Since I wandered into this thread, I'm sure I'll have the dream/nightmare tonight where I didn't go to class all semester or thought I had dropped the class. Then I'm frantically trying to find the building to take the final and save my grade. 10 years later and I still have it 2-3 times a year. See what you get to look forward to? You never really escape finals.

Just had this similar dream two days ago.

I was 1 hour short of graduation even though I'm defending my dissertation this week.

Here's the kicker (actual email I got today):
OGS contacted me and said you had not met your residency requirement and cannot defend your dissertation.
I almost flipped out. They neglected to check how many hours I was enrolled in for this semester. All Ph.D. students must have 2 consecutive semesters at full-time hours. Got it fixed over the phone.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
which one is that? swine or beef? I took a lot of An Sci classes but don't recall that one.

Swine science. To most this class is a cakewalk, but I come from a crop production background (and essentially no animal science experience), and just need some animal science credits. That all being said for a memory stand-point of course. The material is pretty easy to catch onto.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Swine with Baas

never did have a class with him, seemed like a really nice guy.

Swine science. To most this class is a cakewalk, but I come from a crop production background (and essentially no animal science experience), and just need some animal science credits. That all being said for a memory stand-point of course. The material is pretty easy to catch onto.

Yeah I TA'd for the dairy class at that level and those classes can be rough on the kids with no background in it.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
never did have a class with him, seemed like a really nice guy.

He is the only professor that I have had that learns all the students names and seems like he wants to get to know you.

Agreed. I thought it was crazy that the second lab he had us he handed all of our papers out without asking names. The amount of names-to-faces he has to memorize makes that pretty amazing.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Just had this similar dream two days ago.

I was 1 hour short of graduation even though I'm defending my dissertation this week.

Here's the kicker (actual email I got today):

I almost flipped out. They neglected to check how many hours I was enrolled in for this semester. All Ph.D. students must have 2 consecutive semesters at full-time hours. Got it fixed over the phone.

When you're here, I can tell you about my out-of-department thesis committee member. Turned into a total train wreck. Defense wasn't approved until 5 PM the night before.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
When you're here, I can tell you about my out-of-department thesis committee member. Turned into a total train wreck. Defense wasn't approved until 5 PM the night before.

Wow. I look forward to hearing about this.

I avoided the out-of-department by having someone that has appointments in two different departments. Had him sign all the paperwork with the other department information :biggrin:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
1 test left! Steels with Abendroth. Please be merciful.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

I avoided the out-of-department by having someone that has appointments in two different departments. Had him sign all the paperwork with the other department information :biggrin:

Yeah, that would have been nice. I actually had Eric Northway lined up, but we had to cancel for paperwork reasons. He would have been a little easier to work with.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA

View attachment 16905

Well-played. I have someone similar on my committee and I'll use him to "double-dip" like that if necessary. My department at ISU is a little more lax on that requirement, though, and simply requires that someone be outside my area of emphasis but not necessarily outside the department.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, that would have been nice. I actually had Eric Northway lined up, but we had to cancel for paperwork reasons. He would have been a little easier to work with.

sorry to interrupt your convo, but that name rings a bell - religion professor? American Religions? My husband and I took that class together sophomore year and loved it. He was a great professor!

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Finals week hasn't technically started, but I've been working on a take home exam all day, due on Monday. And then the fun really begins.

Astrodynamics on Tuesday
Aerodynamics on Wednesday
Structures on Thursday
Thermodynamics on Thursday

:v_SPIN:

Junior year in AerE is a *****, huh?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Northway would be an excellent committee member.

My husband and I took that class together sophomore year and loved it. He was a great professor!
My wife and I did too.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
sorry to interrupt your convo, but that name rings a bell - religion professor? American Religions? My husband and I took that class together sophomore year and loved it. He was a great professor!

Yes. He would have been a perfect fit.
As it stood, the other should have been, but she didn't understand the general role of the 'outsider.' Contribute, don't dominate, and move on.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

I took Northway's World Religion's class. I agree, that guy was fantastic. Held my attention even though I was prepared to blow the class off (non-engineering elective, hooray!).

Help Support Us

Become a patron