***OFFICIAL FINALS THREAD***

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I took Northway's World Religion's class. I agree, that guy was fantastic. Held my attention even though I was prepared to blow the class off (non-engineering elective, hooray!).

my husband took it for that exact reason - those classes (and at a high enough level) aren't easy to find or fit in!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Agreed. I thought it was crazy that the second lab he had us he handed all of our papers out without asking names. The amount of names-to-faces he has to memorize makes that pretty amazing.

I took Swine with Baas last year. Great class, great guy. I see him around campus here and there and he still knows my name, where I'm from, and remembers stuff I told him about my family's farm when I was in class. He really does care and is just an all-around good guy. One of my favorite profs that I will not forget!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Three minutes until statistics. Here we go!

Best/worst final ever was Stat 104. I had done ok in the class, had a very non-English TA that made understanding some of the harder concepts difficult. Studied my *** off for the final. As she hands out the test, I realize that the final is identical to the practice test that was on webct. Identical. I sit there for a minute, flipping through it thinking this must be a mistake or a joke. Well since I had gone up and down through that practice final, I am pretty sure I didn't get a question wrong on it.

AccessPlus comes out, I had a 95% in the class. And that was an A-. What!!!! I guess enough people had done that well on the final that the curve then worked against me. Sad times.

Reactions: 1 person

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
For the first time in 7 years I don't have to worry about studying for finals and it is an amazing feeling.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Did pretty well (I think) on my first one. Depending on how well the girl next to me did :jimlad:

Accounting up next later today. Feeling way too confident for it, so will probably not do very well haha.

D

DistrictCyclone

Best/worst final ever was Stat 104. I had done ok in the class, had a very non-English TA that made understanding some of the harder concepts difficult. Studied my *** off for the final. As she hands out the test, I realize that the final is identical to the practice test that was on webct. Identical. I sit there for a minute, flipping through it thinking this must be a mistake or a joke. Well since I had gone up and down through that practice final, I am pretty sure I didn't get a question wrong on it.

AccessPlus comes out, I had a 95% in the class. And that was an A-. What!!!! I guess enough people had done that well on the final that the curve then worked against me. Sad times.

Well, it was Stat 104; not exactly a ball-buster of a course.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Well, it was Stat 104; not exactly a ball-buster of a course.

no but from the lab groups I was occasionally in, plus from what other students said about their previous test scores, I figured that the average wouldn't be that great.
That TA was something, she had a comment one time about cows wearing tires ( a student was using tire wear as an example for something and she got pissy at him and goes "no, no! cows no wear the tires!) and one lab class someone had to explain to her how standard deviation worked because she was explaining it wrong.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Just finished up my last paper of the semester a few minutes ago and took my last final this morning. I'm opting out of my TSM 333 final tomorrow so I'm officially done already and it's only Tuesday!

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
When you're here, I can tell you about my out-of-department thesis committee member. Turned into a total train wreck. Defense wasn't approved until 5 PM the night before.

What a freaking nightmare! I am sorry to hear you had such troubles with a committee member. Most are there to actually see you complete your degree and I hate hearing an experience like this.

Just because someone has a PhD doesn't necessarily mean they are good/empathetic people. I have been in academia for several years now and I can tell you first hand that I have met some of the biggest idiots on the planet that insist that you call them "doctor" when you yourself are a "doctor".

I don't even know you CycloneErik and I would pass your thesis with limited (probably no) conditions. I have failed only one dissertation as a faculty member, and trust me it was warranted. Most committee members will want changes to your research but aren't going to bust your balls about it.

To all taking finals...good luck and have as much fun as you can. Taking a test can be unpleasant/stressful, but it is better than working 40 hours a week. Moreover, if you have to write a paper, don't wait until the last minute because people like me spot your BS from a mile away. When I see a paper like that, well, you'll probably score a C- to B from me.

May logic, reasoning and moderate stress guide you during finals week.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrevkah