****Official Class Of 2025 Recruiting Thread****

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Don't really understand the logic in your third paragraph. If Momcilovic plays mainly the 4 we're going to have 1-2 rotation spots open for guards. 1-3 is 120 minutes. 3 starters 30 per. Leaving another 30 minutes.

I could see a rotation like this.
1-3 starters Lipsey Gilbert Jones
Bench Heise
4 starter Momcilovic
Bench Watson
5 starter transfer
Bench Rock
With Biliew ( if he returns) or Fish getting spot upfront Indrusaitis in the backcourt
I guess I just don't think it would work out that cleanly. MM probably won't play exclusively the 4, and I think at least one of the other guards currently in the program or the freshman coming in will be competing for minutes at those spots as well. 30 minutes could turn into 15-20 pretty easily. So yes, if the staff really wants to, they can facilitate enough minutes being available to attract someone like Heise. But there's some uncertainty there. I feel like the combination of the returning guys and the young guys with high ceilings would just be likely to turn off a guard transfer's interest.

I might be wrong though. In my mind he wouldn't come to be a backup with no minute guarantee, but maybe he'd be fine with that and just wants to be on a tournament team.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I guess I just don't think it would work out that cleanly. MM probably won't play exclusively the 4, and I think at least one of the other guards currently in the program or the freshman coming in will be competing for minutes at those spots as well. 30 minutes could turn into 15-20 pretty easily. So yes, if the staff really wants to, they can facilitate enough minutes being available to attract someone like Heise. But there's some uncertainty there. I feel like the combination of the returning guys and the young guys with high ceilings would just be likely to turn off a guard transfer's interest.

I might be wrong though. In my mind he wouldn't come to be a backup with no minute guarantee, but maybe he'd be fine with that and just wants to be on a tournament team.
I just started thinking it's a possibility when 2nd hand knowledge was posted that it's a done deal earlier today. Honestly, I don't hate it.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I could potentially see this happening if we wiffed on a couple of our primary big targets. But if possible, I think it is good to leave Milan at the 3. He had a nice height advantage over other 3s that allows him to get his shot off easier. He also seemed to do ok defending 3's in the big 12. I liked having that extra size on the front court.
Perfect scenario we land two instant Big 12 caliber starters in the froncourt in the transfer portal. Easier said than done however. Guards are easier to land in the portal than high level bigs. There are only going to be 10-15 "bigs" in the portal capable of instantly cracking a 7-8 man rotation for a legit top ten team.

You dont take a player in the portal that isnt Big 12 caliber simply because its a position of need. Take the absolute best players you can grab and adjust your style accordingly to get your best 8 the lions share of the minutes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Perfect scenario we land two instant Big 12 caliber starters in the froncourt in the transfer portal. Easier said than done however. Guards are easier to land in the portal than high level bigs. There are only going to be 10-15 "bigs" in the portal capable of instantly cracking a 7-8 man rotation for a legit top ten team.

You dont take a player in the portal that isnt Big 12 caliber simply because its a position of need. Take the absolute best players you can grab and adjust your style accordingly to get your best 8 the lions share of the minutes.
Momcilovic gives us flexibility. We have to add a center but after that we could take a really good guard instead of a marginal PF.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

If we need two Big12 level starters in the front court, that tells me last years recruiting class isn't ready to play. Or among the group of Biliew, Fish and Rock there will be transfers.

If Lipsey, Gilbert and Jones are all back, I have a tough time believing Momcilovic isn't going to play 20 or more mpg at the 4 spot. TJ's going to want his 4 best on the court together.

At most, that leaves 60mpg in the post for a portal transfer, Biliew, Fish and Rock. Just don't think we have the minutes for 2 portal front court starters.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If we need two Big12 level starters in the front court, that tells me last years recruiting class isn't ready to play. Or among the group of Biliew, Fish and Rock there will be transfers.

If Lipsey, Gilbert and Jones are all back, I have a tough time believing Momcilovic isn't going to play 20 or more mpg at the 4 spot. TJ's going to want his 4 best on the court together.

At most, that leaves 60mpg in the post for a portal transfer, Biliew, Fish and Rock. Just don't think we have the minutes for 2 portal front court starters.
Watson will add some muscle and be a rotation guy at the 4.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's kind of amazing that recruiting continues during this great run!
Maybe because of it?
I think players want to commit when interest is peaked. Coaches definitely want to make those calls while the whole country is watching their program.

Reactions: NENick

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron