****Official Class Of 2025 Recruiting Thread****

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
If we play more 4 guard lineups next year the guard for South Dakota State would be on my short list. That kid was extremely impressive. Not a pressing need of course with Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones.

Reactions: Peter

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If we play more 4 guard lineups next year the guard for South Dakota State would be on my short list. That kid was extremely impressive. Not a pressing need of course with Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones.
I don't see us playing 4 guards but I can see Momcilovic and Watson getting virtually all their minutes at the 4. 1-3 is 120minutes/ game. Need 4 guys getting 25-30 minutes plus a guy like Indrusaitis, Paveletzke or Hamilton getting a few on occasion.

TJ has dialed up the pressure this year from last getting everyone regular breaks.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I don't see us playing 4 guards but I can see Momcilovic and Watson getting virtually all their minutes at the 4. 1-3 is 120minutes/ game. Need 4 guys getting 25-30 minutes plus a guy like Indrusaitis, Paveletzke or Hamilton getting a few on occasion.

TJ has dialed up the pressure this year from last getting everyone regular breaks.
Yeah agreed there. Ideally we get two high caliber "bigs" in the portal. If that isnt a realistic option though and we have some kind of inside connection with a high caliber guard (i.e. Zeke Mayo) I think you bring in as many great players as possible and adjust your style of play accordingly. Having three of Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones and another transfer guard like Mayo on the floor at all times would be extremely difficult to defend.

Interesting to note Zeke Mayo is from Lawrence, KS. If he does want to play at the highest level have to think Kansas would have an in there. I would think he grew up a huge Jayhawk fan.

Last edited:

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I guess I'm confused on the Heise steam. Minutes are just not there with Lipsey, Gilbert and Jones. While Hamilton, Indrusaitis and Pierce are introduced this year I feel he would have more opportunities elsewhere
With Rob, Hasan, and Tre all departing it wouldn't be surprising to see us play smaller next year.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Would be surprising to me. You just can't go 6'5 across the floor in the big 12.
They have to guard you too. Momcillvic is all of 6'8" and he will put on some muscle in the offseason. You try to defend him with a guy not comfortable defending the perimeter and running off screens gonna be a really long night for you.

Reactions: chadly82

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
They have to guard you too. Momcillvic is all of 6'8" and he will put on some muscle in the offseason. You try to defend him with a guy not comfortable defending the perimeter and running off screens gonna be a really long night for you.
Of course, I'm just saying a guy like Heise doesn't move the needle for me as an add. Based on talent/ability alone I don't see him getting valuable minutes. I'd be focusing on 3 post players for depth.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I am not a fan of taking Heise if we don't get a couple of other guys. If we get him as a reserve roll like Watson has this year, that would be ok. Also are we sure he isnt going to walk on? The other thing I could see us doing is getting Heise for Free so we don't have to split NIL money and we can go after bigger talent with our 1 or 2 other schollarships.

• Haha
Reactions: CyPunch

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Momcilovic at the four makes us a different team. Definitely more athletic, quicker. Put another consistent shooter thats willing to buy in to the D and we're probably better than this year provided the 5 gets addressed.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I’m not asking for insider/paid information, but where is the Heise steam coming from?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Momcilovic at the four makes us a different team. Definitely more athletic, quicker. Put another consistent shooter thats willing to buy in to the D and we're probably better than this year provided the 5 gets addressed.
Milan is the straw that stirs the drink. I think he becomes an absolute household name next year. His versatility will allow them to go big or small depending on matchups. I really think people are sleeping on the possibility of them brining in another veteran high level combo guard for that reason.

Reactions: Cyforce

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Milan is the straw that stirs the drink. I think he becomes an absolute household name next year. His versatility will allow them to go big or small depending on matchups. I really think people are sleeping on the possibility of them brining in another veteran high level combo guard for that reason.
Exactly, if you want to go big you as of now have Watson ( just add some bulk), Biliew and Fish. Wanna go small you have our 3 returning guard plus the possibility of a transfer like Heise or Indrusaitis, possibly even Paveletzke.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Would be surprising to me. You just can't go 6'5 across the floor in the big 12.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they would play with all players 6'5" or under. But Otz has played substantial minutes with 4 guards before; I think he's certainly willing to do it again. With the defensive system of doubling the post, it rarely gives up too much defensively. The big question with those lineups is rebounding, which is part of why he focuses so much on guard rebounding.

Just to note, Houston has been playing 4 guards at least some all season. And in the last 5 games (with Tugler out), they've been playing 50% or more of the time with 4 guards. Even their "big" lineups haven't been that tall, with their three bigs for most of the season running 6'8", 6'7", and 6'7".

That all being said, I feel like I would still be surprised if Heise came, unless if something else weird happened like Momcilovic leaving. Without a departure, there just aren't that many minutes available at the 1-3 spots, or even if we add the 4 spot in there.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they would play with all players 6'5" or under. But Otz has played substantial minutes with 4 guards before; I think he's certainly willing to do it again. With the defensive system of doubling the post, it rarely gives up too much defensively. The big question with those lineups is rebounding, which is part of why he focuses so much on guard rebounding.

Just to note, Houston has been playing 4 guards at least some all season. And in the last 5 games (with Tugler out), they've been playing 50% or more of the time with 4 guards. Even their "big" lineups haven't been that tall, with their three bigs for most of the season running 6'8", 6'7", and 6'7".

That all being said, I feel like I would still be surprised if Heise came, unless if something else weird happened like Momcilovic leaving. Without a departure, there just aren't that many minutes available at the 1-3 spots, or even if we add the 4 spot in there.
Don't really understand the logic in your third paragraph. If Momcilovic plays mainly the 4 we're going to have 1-2 rotation spots open for guards. 1-3 is 120 minutes. 3 starters 30 per. Leaving another 30 minutes.

I could see a rotation like this.
1-3 starters Lipsey Gilbert Jones
Bench Heise
4 starter Momcilovic
Bench Watson
5 starter transfer
Bench Rock
With Biliew ( if he returns) or Fish getting spot upfront Indrusaitis in the backcourt

Reactions: cal-cyclone

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I believe he said coming in he was one and done regardless. I'd put it at 50/50. Much higher if we add a PF or guard.
I remember that as well, however, i think going into this season the anticipation was that he would play more than he is right now. Unfortunately, he is a little bit more of a project. I would put it closer to 70/30 that he comes back, based on needing some more college game experience

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
Don't really understand the logic in your third paragraph. If Momcilovic plays mainly the 4 we're going to have 1-2 rotation spots open for guards. 1-3 is 120 minutes. 3 starters 30 per. Leaving another 30 minutes.

I could see a rotation like this.
1-3 starters Lipsey Gilbert Jones
Bench Heise
4 starter Momcilovic
Bench Watson
5 starter transfer
Bench Rock
With Biliew ( if he returns) or Fish getting spot upfront Indrusaitis in the backcourt
I could potentially see this happening if we wiffed on a couple of our primary big targets. But if possible, I think it is good to leave Milan at the 3. He had a nice height advantage over other 3s that allows him to get his shot off easier. He also seemed to do ok defending 3's in the big 12. I liked having that extra size on the front court.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron