****Official Class Of 2023 Recruiting Thread****

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
That was a talking point in the offseason on how they were working on that with him and wanting him to shoot the 3.
Osun does do a lot of shooting during game warmups at the top of the key. Pretty flat shot but does make a fair number of them. Of course, unguarded and flat footed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think it was best case scenario if Shoon developed an outside shot, especially when we didn’t know how good we were going to be as a team from beyond the perimeter. We’re a lot better than I think most people believed we be.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I wouldn't mind seeing more King at the wing. Omaha at the 4 and a transfer big. I agree replacing Holmes and getting another SG in the portal is important for next season though.
HS ball is different than Big12, but IMO Biliew has the ball handling, jump shot and dribble/drive skills to play the wing. I would see T King more of a 4 or even 5 depending on Momcilovic's minutes.

This off-season will be critical for returning players to hone basic skills for their position. It going to determine the ceiling for the 2023/24 Cyclones.
  • Lipsey - jump shot.
  • Grill - ball handling.
  • Watson - ball handling and expand jump shot.
  • Jones - low post moves/ touch.
  • Ward - low post moves

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
HS ball is different than Big12, but IMO Biliew has the ball handling, jump shot and dribble/drive skills to play the wing. I would see T King more of a 4 or even 5 depending on Momcilovic's minutes.

This off-season will be critical for returning players to hone basic skills for their position. It going to determine the ceiling for the 2023/24 Cyclones.
  • Lipsey - jump shot.
  • Grill - ball handling.
  • Ward - low post moves

Lipsey just hitting at a 30 percent clip on 3's would be enough. He don't have to be a dead eye shooter. Just make enough to not allow the other team to sag.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Lipsey just hitting at a 30 percent clip on 3's would be enough. He don't have to be a dead eye shooter. Just make enough to not allow the other team to sag.

I guess the only good thing is his miss seems to be a consistent one in that he almost always misses short. I would guess mechanically they can figure out what's going on there and fix it this off season.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
He's going to start shooting them during the stretch run.
We have been holding Shoon and Tamin back from the three just to unleash them on an unsuspecting CBB next month! They won't know what hit them!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Yes it was said multiple times preseason that they felt Osun would have 'opportunities' and could shoot the '3' more than in his previous part of his career.
I feel like these comments are mostly gamesmanship or window dressing at best. If Shoon could shoot 3s at a respectable rate, I'm sure we'd have seen a few by now. They are fun to hear as fans, but I don't put much stock in them once the game begins. I remember seeing clips of Conditt knocking down 3s with similar talk circulating.

That being said, I could easily see Shoon knock one down if we were in need of a three at the end of a game and the defense left him alone. He has a smooth looking shot.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I feel like these comments are mostly gamesmanship or window dressing at best. If Shoon could shoot 3s at a respectable rate, I'm sure we'd have seen a few by now. They are fun to hear as fans, but I don't put much stock in them once the game begins. I remember seeing clips of Conditt knocking down 3s with similar talk circulating.

That being said, I could easily see Shoon knock one down if we were in need of a three at the end of a game and the defense left him alone. He has a smooth looking shot.
He's 3-10 this year so not terrible and opponents should respect it.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
In prior years, with prior staffs, one could worry about various team needs and how they'd be addressed.

This staff? Hah - they're way ahead of the game and know exactly what we need, and how to get it.

(Can you imagine this team with AJ Green and a healthy back up pg in Williams?)

Given 1) our team success 2) Osun's success and 3) TJ/staff recruiting abilities and connections....I'm highly confident we'll land a stud center for next year. (And a SG if needed).

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

• Lipsey - jump shot.
  • Grill - ball handling.
  • Ward - low post moves
I like how everyone 'assumes' Grill will be back. Sure hope you're right. Never know when a guy wants to pursue his career, including non-basketball ones.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes it was said multiple times preseason that they felt Osun would have 'opportunities' and could shoot the '3' more than in his previous part of his career.
He has done that. He was 1-3 over his first 4 seasons combines, and 3-10 this year.

cyclones7

May 17, 2010
I like how everyone 'assumes' Grill will be back. Sure hope you're right. Never know when a guy wants to pursue his career, including non-basketball ones.

He has already stated he wants to finish Grad School here. So people our assuming that means coming back for one more year. I believe he will come back, we will see.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
At this point, when looking at next years roster, easier to assume everyone with eligibility is back vs. speculating who's going to transfer or not take their Covid year.