***Official Big 12 Expansion Thread '16***

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
USNews ranks FSU above ISU. And being in the AAU means you have had qualities that allow you in the club, rather like the local country club in that way. It, however, does not mean your school is academically superior. Ku is in the AAU - West Point is not. Notre Dame is not. Dartmouth is not. Tulane is not.

This reads like a post of a fan from a non-AAU school

(checks Kansas State's AAU status)

• Funny
Reactions: Clone2Dbone

cynuck

Dec 29, 2014
USNews ranks FSU above ISU. And being in the AAU means you have had qualities that allow you in the club, rather like the local country club in that way. It, however, does not mean your school is academically superior. Ku is in the AAU - West Point is not. Notre Dame is not. Dartmouth is not. Tulane is not.

Rather than searching for which good schools aren't in AAU, just go through the list of schools that are. I'd rather my school be in the company of those schools than the rest.

I actually selected ISU based on a US News ranking of the engineering school. But that was before I knew any better.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Tulane is AAU, that's one of the main reasons they are a big 12 candidate.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
The last thing we need/want is BYU - they are basically Baylor with Texa$ size cash and influence.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Tulane is AAU, that's one of the main reasons they are a big 12 candidate.

People are overthinking AAU vs. Non-AAU.

The Big10 took Nebraska even though they knew Nebby was on shaky ground
The ACC took Louisville

Conference presidents will take schools which can best line their pockets. Four years ago there was alot of options, today there is not. So if conferences are determined to expand, they will "bend" their criteria.

IMO Big12 expansion is going to be contingent on ESPN/FOX agreeing to pay incremental revenue for schools added. The Networks could easily push back as their payments to the Big12 did not drop when the conference dropped from 12 to 10 teams.

I think there could be a compromise, with the Networks paying less than the full $20M for the new schools. Maybe giving the Big12 something like $10M for BYU and UConn and a lower annual payment (like $5M) for schools like Cincy and Houston.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If the Big 12 does fold, this expansion talk is code for schools working out deals to move to other conferences.

Texas, Kansas, and ISU to the Big 10
Tech, WVU to the ACC
OU, OSU to the SEC
TCU, Baylor to the PAC 10
KSU to whoever will take them.

My guess is Texas and Kansas to Big 10
ISU and WVU to ACC
OU, OSU to SEC
Tech, TCU, Baylor, and KSU to Pac-12

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This AAU discussion is like debating who has the healthiest salad when the group is picking a pizza restaurant. Great, but has zero bearing on where you go.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
This AAU discussion is like debating who has the healthiest salad when the group is picking a pizza restaurant. Great, but has zero bearing on where you go.

If you don't think university presidents care about the academic prestige of the schools that their school is most closely associated with, you are wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: colbycheese

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
But WV's academics are suspect at best.
didn't stop Louisville from joining. Don't think they'd add a UCONN over WVU. ISU would get in due to academics and getting somewhat of a foothold into the midwest markets (not saying ISU is a big market but it would help expand their footprint into that area). Plus the ACC is a big basketball conference and ISU has a decent basketball reputation now.

I'm curious if Pitt would try blocking WVU out. Not sure how that relationship is between the 2 schools.

My Pac-12 picks I'm not confident on but I can't see them adding a BYU, Boise St. or UNLV. They might add Colorado St. before Kansas St. but not sure Colorado would like that.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
My guess is Texas and Kansas to Big 10
ISU and WVU to ACC
OU, OSU to SEC
Tech, TCU, Baylor, and KSU to Pac-12
Why would the ACC want ISU over UConn? I think ISU lands somewhere but I didn't think all B12 teams will. I would be especially concerned if I was KSU or Baylor. I also believe if musical chairs is being played and the last song comes on, BYU gets added to the pool, most likely to the PAC 12. Houston and Cincinnati will be considered as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Why would the ACC want ISU over UConn? I think ISU lands somewhere but I didn't think all B12 teams will. I would be especially concerned if I was KSU or Baylor. I also believe if musical chairs is being played and the last song comes on, BYU gets added to the pool, most likely to the PAC 12. Houston and Cincinnati will be considered as well.

This is not ever happening. There is a reason why the Pac 12 took Utah - because they're not BYU.

Clone2Dbone

Dec 10, 2015
didn't stop Louisville from joining. Don't think they'd add a UCONN over WVU. ISU would get in due to academics and getting somewhat of a foothold into the midwest markets (not saying ISU is a big market but it would help expand their footprint into that area). Plus the ACC is a big basketball conference and ISU has a decent basketball reputation now.

I'm curious if Pitt would try blocking WVU out. Not sure how that relationship is between the 2 schools.

My Pac-12 picks I'm not confident on but I can't see them adding a BYU, Boise St. or UNLV. They might add Colorado St. before Kansas St. but not sure Colorado would like that.
I'm more curious to know if Louisville might have issues with WVU.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't expect Iowa State in ACC, certainly not before UConn & West Virginia, unless ACC goes beyond 16 and also takes Kansas. I just don't see it going that far west.

So I'd guess Big Ten or Pac-12 before that.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't expect Iowa State in ACC, certainly not before UConn & West Virginia, unless ACC goes beyond 16 and also takes Kansas. I just don't see it going that far west.

So I'd guess Big Ten or Pac-12 before that.

Unfortunately I think TCU would get picked before us (ACC). They deliver the Dallas market and have some very fertile recruiting grounds nearby.

If your FSU, Clemson, etc, you would rather open up your league to Texas than to Iowa.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
West Virginia proves that's not true.

No it doesn't. Academics is a factor just like football success, fan base, geography, etc. It is not irrelevant as you claim. It is also not the sole determinant.

I think it is silly to say otherwise considering that 10 university presidents are going to be the group that ends up making this decision. Each of them would love to add schools that, all else being equal, were Carnegie I, AAU members, highly ranked by USNWR, etc. The presidents believe that the conference's academic prestige reflects in some way on its own members, including their school.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Unfortunately I think TCU would get picked before us (ACC). They deliver the Dallas market and have some very fertile recruiting grounds nearby.

If your FSU, Clemson, etc, you would rather open up your league to Texas than to Iowa.

If TCU delivers the Dallas market, why did no major conference other than the Big 12 (besides a desperate Big East that eventually eliminated football as a result of realignment) ever consider bringing them into the conference? In fact, why has no major conference other than the Big 12 ever considered bringing in schools such as SMU, Houston, and Rice? Could it possibly be because they DON'T deliver those TV sets like you claim?

• Agree
Reactions: stiles4cy