***Official B12 Expansion/Implosion Thread 3.0???***

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
In reality TCU and Ohio State were razor close and there's no way to truly know (you don't know and nobody else does), TCU was slightly ahead of Ohio State in the closest simulation computer average people could come up with heading into the playoff. The last Harris and Coaches poll came out after the BCS selection so they were no doubt somewhat affected by the selection.

TCU was #4 in computer average: .86107
OSU was #5 in computer average: .81466

Their SOS was nearly identical in respected rankings despite rampant mistruths coming from the committee and ESPN. Baylor's SOS ranking was weaker than the other two, but the reports of TCU's schedule being worse than OSU's are an ongoing mistruth that started from ESPN and the committee the minute the top 4 were announced.

Then like I said the other 2/3 Harris/Coaches came out after the committee selection so there' s really no way of knowing that 2/3.

The point is even if the old system did have the same result, it's drastically less subjective and one or two people can't sway it dramatically.

I wish we didn't have to bring up OSU's quality because they were great at the end of the year, but I can't stand seeing the lies/mistruths spread, especially by Big 12 fans.

I believe the Vegas folks made TCU a 7 pt favorite over all playoff teams except Bama.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Your assessment of Osbourne couldn't be more wrong, but outside of that this is exactly the truth and exactly what I'm talking about.

The two major conferences that have recently been poached have one member with ties, neither a big name. The others have 2-4 with clear ties, some with huge names.

I lived near Lincoln for 6 years. Nebraska could join a conference tomorrow with teams that play on Mars and every Nebraskan, former player and former coach would be 1000% committed to that conference over Oklahoma, Baylor or TCU. Tom Osborne's Big 12 lean is exactly zero like every other Husker, their only lean is Husker and that means Big Ten now. Kind of silly to even bring up that Tom Osborne wouldn't favor Nebraska's conference. And yes I seriously doubt that all of these other members carry as much clout as Osborne or Alvarez. Anyone supporting a B12 team would swap out the no name from Tech in a heartbeat for Barry Switzer and Mac Brown which is the representation B10 has.

The point is we went from almost the most objective selection possible, to nearly the most subjective selection possible. There's no accountability for why 13 members, no accountability for who the 13 members are, and the selection criteria was changing week to week or day to day.

The fact that the two leagues who have recently been poached have less representation than the 3 leagues that poached them is CLEARLY the #1 indicator of conference instability in college football. We just finished year 1, over a 5 year period controversies will happen again and people will start talking about the obvious makeup of the committee and questioning that it's likely not just a coincidence.

Why the B12 and ACC commissioners aren't making a stink about it is beyond me, it's something real at least as opposed to message board rumor mill. The ACC may figure that FSU and Miami are the only programs they have that could sniff the playoff at some point and their name would get them in, they don't really have a consistent top 15 non-brand team like KSU/TCU/Baylor lately.
Tom Osborne is actively working with the B1G front office on some partnerships with his Teammates Program. He is very much connected with Delaney and Delaney has his ear. That is what matters.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Snyder and Osborne are very close personal friends. Oddly, Mack Brown and Snyder are as well. And as calculating as they are, particularly Bill, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've talked about it, i.e. Nubs return.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I understand that fully. But when people say there is no termination clause they are misleading. A GOR is never meant to have a termination clause because rights don't have termination clauses. My point was that the contract (bylaws) do have a termination clause. The articles about there being no termination clause are completely misleading because of the conclusions that come from them.

Does your title for your house or car have a termination clause?

Many rights most certainly can terminate for cause. Your driving rights gets pulled for DUI. Your house can be lost to the government through eminent domain.

And the GOR's contract is not the same as the league Bylaws, the latter having a two year termination clause, the former having none. I'm not sure why you keep melding them together, when they are separate documents, with different parties, serving different purposes.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That we're at a disadvantage not having a CCG. If no CCGs existed, TCU/BU most likely get into the playoffs. Isn't it true that tOSU jumped them both after their CCG?

The B12 might have been disadvantaged in 2014 without a CCG so Boren is full of crap like everyone else who states that the B12 must add a CCG in response to a unique set of circumstances that occurred in 2014.

In the vast majority of years with an undefeated or one loss team, the B12 will be at an advantage without a CCG.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The B12 might have been disadvantaged in 2014 without a CCG so Boren is full of crap like everyone else who states that the B12 must add a CCG in response to a unique set of circumstances that occurred in 2014.

In the vast majority of years with an undefeated or one loss team, the B12 will be at an advantage without a CCG.

Guys like coach Snyder disagree with you. So do I. You can't take a measurement variable away and say you have the same measurements as others being considered who play CCG's.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The B12 might have been disadvantaged in 2014 without a CCG so Boren is full of crap like everyone else who states that the B12 must add a CCG in response to a unique set of circumstances that occurred in 2014. In the vast majority of years with an undefeated or one loss team, the B12 will be at an advantage without a CCG.
Just wishful thinking on your part. Conference championship games are always worth more credit. Sorry. This will happen again.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Many rights most certainly can terminate for cause. Your driving rights gets pulled for DUI. Your house can be lost to the government through eminent domain.

And the GOR's contract is not the same as the league Bylaws, the latter having a two year termination clause, the former having none. I'm not sure why you keep melding them together, when they are separate documents, with different parties, serving different purposes.

Bylaws references the GOR many times and the termination clause in the bylaws references how to handle the GOR in that situation. So the are not completely separate documents. They are related documents that are tied together.

I agree that many rights can be terminated for cause. That would be the defense in any legal battle. But why is there a need to put a termination clause in the actual grant of rights? The withdrawing member has to show that there is cause for the league's rights to be taken away. The league would have had to act in some illegal manner. If a team just simply withdrew, it would be very, very difficult to show any cause similar to a DUI. And what government authority is going to take over the rights? And if they do, will they actually favor the withdrawing team?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There is no termination clause in the GOR, HoopsT. WTH are you arguing now? Earlier you wrote that people who said there was no termination clause were lying. Have you now changed? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Snyder and Osborne are very close personal friends. Oddly, Mack Brown and Snyder are as well. And as calculating as they are, particularly Bill, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they've talked about it, i.e. Nubs return.

Assuming that there is even minute interest by the NU administration in coming back to the Big 12...returning to the Big 12 after being gone such a short time is basically an admission by the NU administration that the move to the Big Ten was a monumental clusterfudge. Millions of dollars of TV revenue were/would be lost due to partial payouts. Do you think Osborne and the others at NU could put their egos aside long enough to make such an admission?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Assuming that there is even minute interest by the NU administration in coming back to the Big 12...returning to the Big 12 after being gone such a short time is basically an admission by the NU administration that the move to the Big Ten was a monumental clusterfudge. Millions of dollars of TV revenue were/would be lost due to partial payouts. Do you think Osborne and the others at NU could put their egos aside long enough to make such an admission?

I honestly think an ACC/Big 12 megaconference as a measure to fend off BigTen/SEC is more likely than Neb leaving the Big Ten for the Big 12 at this point. I think there was an inkling of it back when the Pac and B12 could have created a 20 or 22 team league that turned into Pac poaching attempt that died. It really is in mutual interest of B12 and ACC, still pie in the sky, but less so than any team intentionally leaving the B12, SEC or Pac at this point for the B12 or ACC.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Not sure how you can say might when the week before the CCGs were played the Big 12 was in and the day after the CGGs were played they were out...

Regardless, if the Big 12 gets left out again this season it's adding however many teams it takes to have a CCG.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not sure how you can say might when the week before the CCGs were played the Big 12 was in and the day after the CGGs were played they were out...

Regardless, if the Big 12 gets left out again this season it's adding however many teams it takes to have a CCG.

I'd be happier if the committee would just come out and say they weight the end of the season much more than the season as a whole. College football has always been about a run for perfection. The first iteration of the committee says it doesn't care about a run toward perfection and is trashing that tradition.

TCU and OSU were very close in so many ways. After OSU got the game against Wisc their SOS was nearly identical. TCU's one loss was to a top team on the road by an eyelash. Ohio State's was at home to an average team and they got spanked. By any account TCU was much closer to being that traditional unblemished goal of college football. Also the previous year computer average was 1/3 of the equation and in that metric TCU was 4th, being 2nd-4th in almost every computer poll that was used.

I'm not meaning this as a slam on OSU, but to drop TCU from 3rd to 6th for a blowout win when they were so close to unbeaten, it really is a big break with college football tradition. They played a tougher schedule than FSU and were much more dominant in their wins than FSU, even after the playoff in some ways they have the least blemished resume of any college football team last year and were ranked 6th by the committee.

Next year the selection criteria need to be who are the conference champs playing the best at the end of the year ignoring the early season. Anything else is highly inconsistent with dropping TCU 3 spots the last week for a blowout win. If they come up with an inconsistent criteria this year, they need to cement it that it won't keep changing every year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
“That said, though, we in the Big 12, in terms of football and basketball, are competitive from top to bottom." See more at: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20150723/GZ02/150729694#sthash.EZycSAMD.dpuf

hogwash_w281.jpg

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20150723/GZ02/150729694

It seems the Big 12 does have an expansion committee and Boren is on it.

Here is what I don't want to happen:

Boren convinces the committee to expand regionally with Houston and Memphis. Boren and Oklahoma AD then decide a couple years later that the B12 isn't attractive anymore because the opponents aren't big enough (because they have to play opponents like Houston and Memphis more) and revenues aren't enough (because Houston and Memphis dilute the money pool). Oklahoma uses expansion as their excuse to leave.

This would remind me too much of Missouri and Nebraska- Missouri left because there was too much instability when they started the instability with their Governor's comments. Nebraska left because they wanted to be in a conference with equal members even though they wanted revenue to be split unevenly.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'd be happier if the committee would just come out and say they weight the end of the season much more than the season as a whole. College football has always been about a run for perfection. The first iteration of the committee says it doesn't care about a run toward perfection and is trashing that tradition.

They're so full of ****.

Look at Barry Alvarez; the man has never been associated with football other than B1G football, NU, UI, Wisc...OF COURSE anyone who destroys his Badgers are going to get his vote because to him Wisconsin is already more legitimate than BU or TCU.

Or Osborne; how the **** can anyone say he's objective when it comes to the Big 12?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
All leagues have wallflowers: Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Vandy, Washington State, CU, Wake, BC, Syracuse, on and on. Basketball is even worse.

Last edited: