*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Two years of meaningful minutes in big 12 basketball speak otherwise. I'd take BRE's two years of contributions over conditt's four years
@twincyties who found the above comment optimistic
I stand by my comment.

Stats compared as cyclones
Player A - 14.5 min, 4.3 pts, 3.5 Reb, 1.2 TO, 0.8 Ast, 0.4 Stl, 2.1 Fls
Player B -14.2 min, 4.1 pts, 3.0 reb, 1.0 TO, 0.9 Ast, 0.6 Stl, 2.0 Fls

Stats in three big dance games last year
Player A - 49 min, 12 pts, 11 reb, 5 TO, 5 Ast, 0 Stl, 7 Fls
Player B - 51 min, 8 pts, 13 Reb, 2 TO, 4 Ast, 0 Stl, 8 Fls

Statistically, they are darned near carbon copies and both brought similar energy and hustle. Conditt came with recruiting stars and buzz and added some high level performance on the PR national team, for those reasons he always seemed to underperform and thus bring more disappointment. With Bob, we know what we are getting when he takes the floor and expectations therefore are set a little lower.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Dunks only please
Yep. Wide open dunks and layups or put backs go for it. Feel like his shooting percentage on post moves is just abysmal in conference play. I'm not trying to bag on him because he works hard but the reality is a Jones post up is not producing and he never passes out of a post up even if he's in bad position.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Jaren and Osun were becase of Nate Schmidt, as well as the 4 star guard from NY in the 24 class. He appears to be our east coast recruiter.
Isn't going to hurt that both will be getting all conference honors of some sort. How many bigs in the conference are better than Osun? I can see him a second or third team guy. 1st team is probably gonna be 4 guards and Wilson. Makes you wonder where Holmes is gonna fall.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sorry but numbers say otherwise. He’s shooting less than 33% in big 12 play. All of his shots are at the rim….

And his two made free throws were the reason ISU at least held on to keep it in OT Monday night and was the one player that didn't play like he lost his mind.

Are wins good?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Watching the game now. I love the announcers saying “fortunately Grill misses the shot.” No bias there at all.
I thought Fran was pumping the KU fan club a little today. In the first half, he kept talking about all the missed 3 pointers that KU was not hitting, but at the same time did not mention that ISU could not buy a 3-point shot most of the 1st half.
Generally, I love to have Fran announcing our games, and he is great to hear every Monday on the Big XII channel on the radio, but today he was getting carried away with pushing the KU story, forgetting all about ISU for much of the game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
How many of King’s minutes were as the 5?

According to some it's like he's supposed to play both positions at equal value while Shoon plays 30 minutes and fouls don't happen because math isn't real.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Sorry but numbers say otherwise. He’s shooting less than 33% in big 12 play. All of his shots are at the rim….
Now go look at four years of conditt's big 12 production ... Outside of FG%, they are a wash like the stats posted above and Bob brought far more on the defensive end

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Totally agree. This team is tough to beat when they play as a team.

Has anyone commented yet about Grill. Watched him closely today and man, he was hurting at times. I don't know how he does it. Playing high level ball with a bum back. Big ouch, but he showed once again he has a bigger character.

I think they always play as a team. At times they don't play well or just play bad.

They just get out of their game and things get sideways quickly. Without a 'go-to' for getting a bucket to get settled back in their limitations are magnified.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Now go look at four years of conditt's big 12 production ... Outside of FG%, they are a wash like the stats posted above and Bob brought far more on the defensive end

Last season during ISU's NCAA qualifying, 6th ever Sweet 16 appearing season after two 20 loss seasons, CFers hated Conditt, Gabe, Caleb and some games about anyone who played so I guess honing it down to one player is growth.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Last season during ISU's NCAA qualifying, 6th ever Sweet 16 appearing season after two 20 loss seasons, CFers hated Conditt, Gabe, Caleb and some games about anyone who played so I guess honing it down to one player is growth.
What does this^ even mean? Celebrating hard today?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I saw on the ESPN ticker that it was the fewest points in a Big12 game for KU under Self. Did I see that right?

Lowest scoring games of the Self era

xkVwOil.png

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
When we need a basket, who do we give the ball to? We simply lack a player who will go out and get us buckets. It's not just the player we lack, but the mentality (give me the ball I'm scoring this thing).

We'll see as there is still time. Maybe somebody (likely Gabe) shows us some of that killer instinct down the stretch. I just don't think we have a natural for it.
The suggestion that you, or anyone else on this message board, has a better idea on how minutes should be distributed than the coaches is just laughable. TJ, KG, NS, JRB, EC, and the rest of the staff have forgotten more about basketball than you or me have ever learned. You can dog on BRE all you want about his weaknesses if it makes you feel better. Certain aspects of his game are below average. However, I am confident that the staff would not be playing him as much as they are if it didn’t help the team win games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What does this^ even mean? Celebrating hard today?

Not at all.

CFers ripped on multiple players last season despite them selling out night after night to get some things that aren't that common at ISU. They didn't want major contributors to play, someone called Conditt a POS in an away win, et al.

This year (so far) it's just one player in what's right now a really good basketball season.