*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Saying Sweet 16 is a ceiling is ridiculous.
I don't think it's that ridiculous to say if we continue playing offense like we have we probably limit ourselves to a sweet 16. I've posted that I hope some more rest and we get some offensive mojo back. We can survive a game or two in the tourney with the offense we've had the last few weeks but to expect a deeper run than that seems like a stretch. I'm not even saying it to tear down the team or like it's some awful thing. If this squad ends their season in the Sweet 16 that's still an awesome season

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I don't think it's that ridiculous to say if we continue playing offense like we have we probably limit ourselves to a sweet 16. I've posted that I hope some more rest and we get some offensive mojo back. We can survive a game or two in the tourney with the offense we've had the last few weeks but to expect a deeper run than that seems like a stretch. I'm not even saying it to tear down the team or like it's some awful thing. If this squad ends their season in the Sweet 16 that's still an awesome season
This is where I’m at

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
It's pretty easy to see what's wrong with our offense. Freshman legs not there. KG and Tamin are hurting. And our offense was super efficient when we turned teams over 20+ times with 20 fast break points.

If we meet a team that takes care of the ball and can shoot 3s, we might be in trouble. I still think we should make it to the 2nd weekend no matter who we face. But I tend to think we will win every game. So there's that.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This is where I’m at
I love this team. They've been awesome to watch grow this year, have achieved more than I would've guessed in conference, and I know they are going to play their asses off. But at some point they're going to have to score to advance in the tourney and the past few games have shown they're in a funk so it is a bit concerning but that doesn't mean they won't get out of it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Fine, if tournament play is like the **** show that end of season conference play tends to be then sure, there is a good chance we won't see a lot of success. That's true for everybody. Lots of losses by good teams today. I'm watching Arizona look like **** against USC right now, and USC is markedly worse than KSU. So sure, if all the same dynamics that applied in the conference the last few weeks apply in the tournament it's going to be tough. I don't think that will be the case, but if you do great.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If they can't get some juice in the tank before the tourney I don't like our chances. Gilbert and Lipsey being beat up is concerning. CuJo is playing really well thankfully and I'm hopeful once we get out of conference Milan will find it a bit easier as teams won't have had a chance to play against him/scout him heavily. King and Robert Jones really need to ball out and hopefully Ward can continue to grab some offensive put backs to help us lift the burden off the guards a bit. Our Free throw shooting ever looms as a dark cloud too.

As far as the offensive worries, I think they will work themselves to the mean but I have no reason to think so other than it's been pretty stagnant and they're due for a game where they're hitting a lot more shots than normal. If they can maintain their defense they won't have to play a perfect game offensively.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Fine, if tournament play is like the **** show that end of season conference play tends to be then sure, there is a good chance we won't see a lot of success. That's true for everybody. Lots of losses by good teams today. I'm watching Arizona look like **** against USC right now, and USC is markedly worse than KSU. So sure, if all the same dynamics that applied in the conference the last few weeks apply in the tournament it's going to be tough. I don't think that will be the case, but if you do great.
Ok

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Now you have me concerned about AZ!!

• Haha
Reactions: CyNews

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Trends are concerning....

e5d34c93-1eb1-4e93-a166-6b4f5634b5aa_text.gif

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If you can’t see that there is virtually no ball movement in our offense & we keep on running ISO or pick & rolls.
There is no design or purpose to our offense for the past 3 years. We had some identity this year until teams decided to take away the middle from us. Now we’re rudderless, I off ball movement. If we do pass it around people just stand still.
It’s been random hero ball for the 2nd half of the season, so yes, I’ll blame our offense on him.
I watched Drake vs Bradley, I was jealous of the schemes. The spacing, the player movement, the cutting. We seem to lack a purpose on offense, it's hard to tell what we are or what we are trying to do.

As a program, if we are going to go balls to the wall in the off season, practice extremely hard in the preseason, and play games with the relentless style that we do, we need our program to the point where we are going 9 to 10 deep pretty consistently. Meaning, the bench guys get more minutes than they are currently playing. We play 9, but there are some games were Watson never even played. It is the cumulative fatigue over the course of the off season, preseason practice and the regular season is why the team looks tired. Cumulative fatigue makes the body more susceptible to injuries. That is why a lot of athletes cycle their training. Tom Crean even said we look tired.

For our program, the way we approach things, the culture of working extremely hard toughens our team up, builds resolve. It has gotten into the NCAAs and 24 regular season wins this season, so it does work. We just need to figure out how to do that but at the same time get us to the finish line so we don't have games like Texas Tech and Pitt where we only were able to score 41 points. We should never ever be so tired, so bad, that we can only score 41 points in a game in March.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I watched Drake vs Bradley, I was jealous of the schemes. The spacing, the player movement, the cutting. We seem to lack a purpose on offense, it's hard to tell what we are or what we are trying to do.

As a program, if we are going to go balls to the wall in the off season, practice extremely hard in the preseason, and play games with the relentless style that we do, we need our program to the point where we are going 9 to 10 deep pretty consistently. Meaning, the bench guys get more minutes than they are currently playing. We play 9, but there are some games were Watson never even played. It is the cumulative fatigue over the course of the off season, preseason practice and the regular season is why the team looks tired. Cumulative fatigue makes the body more susceptible to injuries. That is why a lot of athletes cycle their training. Tom Crean even said we look tired.

For our program, the way we approach things, the culture of working extremely hard toughens our team up, builds resolve. It has gotten into the NCAAs and 24 regular season wins this season, so it does work. We just need to figure out how to do that but at the same time get us to the finish line so we don't have games like Texas Tech and Pitt where we only were able to score 41 points. We should never ever be so tired, so bad, that we can only score 41 points in a game in March.
Tom Crean is an idiot

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021

Crean is a putz.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Oh, so our team is not tired and banged up? Is Chris Williams an idiot too because he said the same thing yesterday?

I don't know CW and I'm not going to say he is an idiot, but tired and banged up was also rolled out on Cyclonefanatic last year about this time as well when things didn't look good. Houston is just as banged up......plays with just as much if not more intensity......and they didn't look tired against KU. Did Kansas State look tired to you? Did BYU look tired Wednesday when they lost at Hilton? Watched the UConn/Villanova game and they were both playing like they were shot out of a cannon.

In fact I didn't see one team yesterday win or lose where a team looked gassed. So why is for the second year in a row about this time of the season ISU once again is the only team in the country where it's said players are running on fumes?

They aren't tired and no more banged up than any team after 4 months of play. They just lost a game.......that's all. And it will happen again........maybe this week. Then maybe again the next week. And it will have absolutely nothing to do with them being tired and banged up.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I've been to 3 Drake games this year and went to the game in Manhattan yesterday. You'd be able to space and cut well also playing Belmont and Murray State.

There's reason Devries and Brodie average almost 20 apeice. The Big 12 is on a different planet compared to the physicality of the MVC.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron