*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs #2 Houston Game(Day) Thread ***

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Let's not let these Cougars take advantage of our young men.

Roll, Clones! (And please let my flight be on time so I can get to the hotel early enough for tip-off).
I'd welcome the chance to tangle with some high end Cougars if I wasn't 64 YO. at my age the Cougar fantasy is loosing its luster.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
250,000 bats come out from under a single bridge every night in Houston.

A sculpture park in Houston contains a statue of a giant spider.

Houston boasts the world's largest funeral museum.

The waterways of Houston are infested with 2-foot long rodents called nutria.

Houston is truly a horrible place.

Go Cyclones!
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll be in Houston for a conference next week and I'll definitely check out the bats.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Feels like this game should start with a cage match.

I don't think there are any teams in the country that come out with more emphasis on punching the other team in the mouth right away.

If we can be there with them (within 2 scores) at under 16 TO, it will come down to 1 or 2 plays at the end. If we go down multiple possessions early it is going to be a long night.
Single digits with 10 to go it'll be Battle Royale to the finish.,

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
UH is averaging 22 pt MOV at home in conference play. OSU and UCF were the "closest" at 15-16 pts.

The more I look at UH, the more they look like an even better version of ISU. Like if everyone on the team this year rolled over to next year, plus you had an extra big with same skill level.

Just keep it close, and see what happens.

Weirdly, the perception for a close loss is maybe even better than winning. Lose close and "wow they are almost as good as Houston, and Houston is awesome!", but win and it's "maybe Houston isn't that good".

• Creative
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
There is no negative in playing this game. Chance to move to sole possession of first place, still a strong chance of a tie if we lose and take care of business. Tough environment against a top 5 team is excellent experience for potential match-ups in March. Everything says this is a close one or a Houston rout.

I'm calling the shot against the grain, we're gonna lock Houston up early again and get hot from 3. Except this time we don't let up. Cyclones by 10+...75-65.
This is a fantastic opportunity on a national stage. These are the games players dream about. Release the hounds.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I am telling myself I am good with a "good showing" aka losing with Style.

A win would be insane though. Probably would warrant streaking at midnight at the quad.

What I don't want to see is one of those games were we go on a 11 minute scoring drought and we get boat raced.

Reactions: fsanford

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Absolutely no lose situation for us tonight.

Just don’t want to be blown out.

I want to win of course but a loss against a great team on the road at this point in the season wouldn’t be the worst thing for our team. Reset and focus on the finish.

Gonna say Houston wins 65-58

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am telling myself I am good with a "good showing" aka losing with Style.

A win would be insane though. Probably would warrant streaking at midnight at the quad.

What I don't want to see is one of those games were we go on a 11 minute scoring drought and we get boat raced.

One of the "analytics guys", Evan Miyakawa, tracks 10-0 runs as "kill shots" - something Houston specializes in at home: