*** Official #25 IOWA STATE vs #17 TCU Game(Day) Thread ***

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
What's so daunting about it? If a guy does a ninja kick into the defender it's not a defensive foul. If he shoots like a normal person and somebody runs into him it's a foul.

This game isn't complicated.
Fran was right to be emphatic about the two leg kick fouls on Miles. I think he made 4-6 free throws which were free points after we had cleared the rebound. Miles was almost as bad as the ridiculous Davonte Graham from Kansas. Graham would kick both legs out and flail his whole body in an attempt to draw the fall, and the officials often took the bait.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My thoughts as if anyone cares…
- Gabe was best all around player on floor for either team before he even hit that winner.
- foul calls for first 30 minutes were atrocious and impossible to ge that wrong just accidentally, TCU plays physical too
- we got lucky they went 5-13 ft during the first half when we went 0-0 in true WWE scripted fashion, incredible to have a half time lead
- the one was a bad call but we have to figure out how to foul 3 point shooters less often, fouling 3 point shots kept them in the game
-Watson gave us tons of energy
-other teams may learn to foul Jones late, it’s just a smart play
-Good up and down game for Tamin to learn on the road
-Tamin and Holmes can create in the paint better than anybody we had last year and it raises floor of the offense drastically

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Still even more impressed this start is without Jaz. Definitely wasn't expecting this start without him playing.

Really good point. I'm interested in how TJ would talk about this, and how he'll handle things once he comes back. If nothing else some other guys (King, Watson, etc.) are getting really valuable minutes that we might need coming down the stretch.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Fran was right to be emphatic about the two leg kick fouls on Miles. I think he made 4-6 free throws which were free points after we had cleared the rebound. Miles was almost as bad as the ridiculous Davonte Graham from Kansas. Graham would kick both legs out and flail his whole body in an attempt to draw the fall, and the officials often took the bait.
Davonte Graham is very unlikable human being.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I have to admit its nice rooting for a well coached team. Even under Hoibergs best teams we were just more talented and tried to outscore teams with little effort put toward defense or structured offense (lots of hero ball). When we start to be the team that crushes teams on the boards next year, things will amazing.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Really good point. I'm interested in how TJ would talk about this, and how he'll handle things once he comes back. If nothing else some other guys (King, Watson, etc.) are getting really valuable minutes that we might need coming down the stretch.
Is a good problem to have, but do wonder what the starting lineup will look like once he is back. But is nice to see others getting good experience on the road and in close games.

Reactions: HoustonClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

King and Watson stepping up to do some of Jaz’s hustle work. If we didn’t have King it would’ve really hurt losing Jaz. So much potential depth if Jaz can get back. Deepest team defensively we’ve ever had possibly.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I just wish the refs would learn from the previous two times he did it. I could see those taking a ref by surprise or be questionable, Gabe's was close. But Lipsey clearly flew by to the side and Miles literally kicked his leg on the way by.
Lipsey’s was so obvious that it needs to be a flop call on Miles and a technical free throw for ISU. They need to include the dramatic leg kick in the flop rule.