***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It matters in the realm of science. Warnings, how they warn, the advice the warnings provide. Back in 2013 Mike Morgan got a lot of **** for telling people in the path of the el Reno tornado to get in their car and drive out of the direct path if they could. Ive always thought it would be wise for NWS to add that kind of language to their warnings in certain situations. As we figure out what can survive and what can’t, we can move down that path and hopefully save lives in the future.

Makes sense there too when you consider the lack of basements/availability of solid shelter for that region of the country as well.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I know many people who never watch 1 second of any news. I know numerous people that had no idea storms were coming. These are not dumb people they are just in their own little world dealing with their stuff.

Another thing, satellite radio is huge and you don't get NWS warning interuptions when listening to that like you do FM/AM radio.

This is a huge area that needs improved IMO. Unfortunately without legislation I don't think anything will happen. Google Home devices, Roku, Fire Stick, Chrome Stick, Alexa's. They all know your location, there is no reason they shouldn't broadcast something when a warning is put out.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
It matters in the realm of science. Warnings, how they warn, the advice the warnings provide. Back in 2013 Mike Morgan got a lot of **** for telling people in the path of the el Reno tornado to get in their car and drive out of the direct path if they could. Ive always thought it would be wise for NWS to add that kind of language to their warnings in certain situations. As we figure out what can survive and what can’t, we can move down that path and hopefully save lives in the future.
He got a lot of **** because it is terrible advice.

In the 1999 Moore F5, 1 person, of the 100 that were in homes rated F4 or F5 damage died. 1%

"Get underground or die" is a myth. Even in F5s, in Oklahoma, without basements, it's better to be inside than in a car or exposed.

BUT, 35 people died in other places that were not F4/5 damage. Including 3 trying to hide under an overpass (another very bad idea). Some of those that did flee their homes in this study fled for overpasses. Putting yourself in the open and risking a track change, new development, traffic jam or other obstruction is making your odds worse.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
He got a lot of **** because it is terrible advice.

In the 1999 Moore F5, 1 person, of the 100 that were in homes rated F4 or F5 damage died. 1%

"Get underground or die" is a myth. Even in F5s, in Oklahoma, without basements, it's better to be inside than in a car or exposed.

BUT, 35 people died in other places that were not F4/5 damage. Including 3 trying to hide under an overpass (another very bad idea). Some of those that did flee their homes in this study fled for overpasses. Putting yourself in the open and risking a track change, new development, traffic jam or other obstruction is making your odds worse.

If you're in a mobile home, or manufactured home, yes, you should obviously leave for your shelter, (preferably before there's a wedge moving in) but mass evac, and putting people in cars is increasing bad outcomes quite a bit.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
They talked about how this was a rare 15% tornado threat for a week before this happened and people are still out driving around for whatever reason.

You turn on the news and they are begging people to head to their shelter and then it flips over to the traffic cam and people are out getting groceries instead.

This article says the woman was on her way home from work. Not exactly out getting groceries.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
This is a huge area that needs improved IMO. Unfortunately without legislation I don't think anything will happen. Google Home devices, Roku, Fire Stick, Chrome Stick, Alexa's. They all know your location, there is no reason they shouldn't broadcast something when a warning is put out.

Kind of agree, but not fully.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
My Alexa gives me NWS notifications. Granted, it just pings a notification and you have to tell if to play the notification, but better than nothing.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Regarding satellite radio, etc. seems this is kind of a "be careful what you wish for" thing. People didn't want their listening to be interrupted by commercials, etc. and to choose what they want to listen to. If you choose no interruptions, you should get no interruptions.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Regarding satellite radio, etc. seems this is kind of a "be careful what you wish for" thing. People didn't want their listening to be interrupted by commercials, etc. and to choose what they want to listen to. If you choose no interruptions, you should get no interruptions.

Exactly why I agreed with him buy not fully.

Same reason I use spotify, just music no interruptions

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know many people who never watch 1 second of any news. I know numerous people that had no idea storms were coming. These are not dumb people they are just in their own little world dealing with their stuff.

Another thing, satellite radio is huge and you don't get NWS warning interuptions when listening to that like you do FM/AM radio.
I haven’t watched more than 2 minutes of news in close to 10 years. Got so tired of all the politics I quit watching.

CYaeger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 23, 2019
Sounds like a line of damaging winds will hit the state late tonight / tomorrow morning... Looking at weather models and it does look to be a strong line of storms... Will be interesting.. Don't be shocked to wake up to the outdoor sirens going off for high winds.

• Sad
Reactions: MJ29

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Her employer should be held accountable then. No reason they couldn't have let her go earlier.

Her line of work doesn't really have a track record of any sympathy to their employees so that doesn't surprise me.
You're going to wear out your shovel.

Help Support Us

Become a patron