MLB: ***Official 2024 St. Louis Cardinals Thread***

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
1711491158579.png
It looks like the Cardinals and Twins require a TV Provider, and not just a Bally Sports login. The Royals don't require this, however. Interesting.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Welp, it's only the 4th inning of Game 1 and we are playing the all-world Dodgers. I worry that this season is going to be similar or worse than last year. Our biggest liability was pitching and all we did was sign a bunch of 30+ year old starters.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Welp, it's only the 4th inning of Game 1 and we are playing the all-world Dodgers. I worry that this season is going to be similar or worse than last year. Our biggest liability was pitching and all we did was sign a bunch of 30+ year old starters.
For the first time in 50 years, I am really not excited about seeing the Cards this season. We have purchased no tickets to see them play, which we have done for years.
It's just hard to get excited about your team when they refuse to pay the going rate for pitching and keep dumpster diving for pitching talent.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
For the first time in 50 years, I am really not excited about seeing the Cards this season. We have purchased no tickets to see them play, which we have done for years.
It's just hard to get excited about your team when they refuse to pay the going rate for pitching and keep dumpster diving for pitching talent.
I think I stated it earlier in this thread and I'm too lazy to check...I am officially saying FU to MLB. I've had an MLB.TV membership for 10+ years now. We live within the blackout areas so I had to VPN around the restrictions. No more. I'm not paying $150/season just so I can go through all that hassle to watch a crappy team.

We live too far away from STL and its expensive to take the whole family so we won't be going to a game again anytime soon.

I'll wear my STL hat occasionally and check the box scores. Otherwise, that's about as far as my fandom will go anymore. Thanks MLB, you've officially killed my interest in the game.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Should have traded Goldy and Arenado last year.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Should have traded Goldy and Arenado last year.
They're getting to be similar to the Vikings. Too proud to go full re-build and too crappy to compete. So, they end up being a middle of the road team every year. Maybe make it to the playoffs but never actually compete for a title.

I enjoyed the Pujols years, but those seem like a lifetime ago.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think I stated it earlier in this thread and I'm too lazy to check...I am officially saying FU to MLB. I've had an MLB.TV membership for 10+ years now. We live within the blackout areas so I had to VPN around the restrictions. No more. I'm not paying $150/season just so I can go through all that hassle to watch a crappy team.

We live too far away from STL and its expensive to take the whole family so we won't be going to a game again anytime soon.

I'll wear my STL hat occasionally and check the box scores. Otherwise, that's about as far as my fandom will go anymore. Thanks MLB, you've officially killed my interest in the game.
I still watch the games, have it on now, one of the good things about still having Direct TV, is the Cards are our local RSN. This is an important year for the team, it's time for the younger players to step up and prove they can be major cogs in the team, not just another player on the team.

MLB still is has not figured out that but allowing more people to watch the games brings in fans, down the road. Never in my life have I got up one morning and decided, "let's go down and catch a cards game at home tonight". It's a five-hour drive down to the stadium, but MLB thinks that people do it all the time. Let me watch, show me a good product and then I will purchase tickets to see them.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I still watch the games, have it on now, one of the good things about still having Direct TV, is the Cards are our local RSN. This is an important year for the team, it's time for the younger players to step up and prove they can be major cogs in the team, not just another player on the team.

MLB still is has not figured out that but allowing more people to watch the games brings in fans, down the road. Never in my life have I got up one morning and decided, "let's go down and catch a cards game at home tonight". It's a five-hour drive down to the stadium, but MLB thinks that people do it all the time. Let me watch, show me a good product and then I will purchase tickets to see them.
They really haven't adapted to the streaming world, at all. Yes, they created MLB.TV but that was really around even before streaming became as big as it is. I know Manfred has mentioned addressing streaming and/or blackouts but I'm guessing his hands are tied by the regional agreements. Until then, count me out.

And to your point - same here: We live 6 hours from the stadium. It takes a month of planning if we're going to go to a game.

• Agree
Reactions: KidSilverhair

johnstoncy

Oct 18, 2006
Johnston
www.rtsports.com
They really haven't adapted to the streaming world, at all. Yes, they created MLB.TV but that was really around even before streaming became as big as it is. I know Manfred has mentioned addressing streaming and/or blackouts but I'm guessing his hands are tied by the regional agreements. Until then, count me out.

And to your point - same here: We live 6 hours from the stadium. It takes a month of planning if we're going to go to a game.
Yes, their hands are tied by the bad RSN agreements. Literally the only reason I have DirectTV stream is it is the only one that has Bally Sports Midwest. Sounds like the Cardinals will be out from under that agreement next year (or Bally's will go completely under). Hopefully someone like Amazon comes along and picks up the streaming rights or the Cardinals do something decent themselves. Amazon already picked up the rights for about 5 teams this year that used to be with Bally's.

• Informative

matclone

Nov 13, 2016

Can you get the radio broadcasts?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Bally Sports is under bankruptcy and trying to work out a plan to sell off the RSN that they control. They gave up some and kept 11 other teams, one of which was the Cards.

• Informative

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Yeah, I'm afraid this is going to be a long year. I mean, we all knew about the pitching. The guys they signed were obviously not going to catapult the last place team in the worst division in the National League into World Series contention. What boggles my mind is the hitting. This team on paper should not be terrible on offense, but they are. I know its only one game, but they were anemic through most of the spring too. Other than Goldy, they all seemed to carry that into yesterday.

Between the Cards and the Cyclones, yesterday was pretty depressing.

• Agree

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Thia will be a slow long death of a season. Fricken rehaul everything top to bottom.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I hope everyone feels a bit better now.

Popped in here to share this. I’ve been assuming that the Cards absolutely need to land an elite pitcher with the #7 pick, to build the future pitching staff around.

That may not be completely accurate. Signing from Taiwan last year, first for the Cards:

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022

8 and 1/2 to Sioux City and still blacked out.