MLB: ***Official 2024 St. Louis Cardinals Thread***

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
i have nord vpn app on my tv. Set my IP to Miami, open MLB.tv and watch all the games. when they play the marlins, i move the ip to New York or somewhere else for the series. They haven't caught me yet.
I did this for two seasons. It stopped being effective last year so I’m wondering if they were catching on.

Either way, I’m not doing it anymore. Way too much effort for me. MLB can F right off if they’re going to continue to make it this hard to consume their product.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Walker was much improved by the end of the season, I’m not writing him off defensively yet.

Hiring Yadi as manager with none to minimal experience seems like it could backfire in a hurry. I feel like with his current role, they’re just having him around for another seasoned voice on the clubhouse.
I read Joe Maddon’s book this winter. It was really interesting. His career is a microcosm of the changes in baseball management. He came up an old school guy, was one of the first to embrace data analytics, and then got pushed out because he wouldn’t just do what the front office said the data told them.

It was enlightening to understand modern baseball. The front offices don’t want managers who are experienced. They want managers who will make sure the players are happy and implement the front office game plan which is all data driven.

I’m guessing that’s why Shildt got canned over “philosophical differences” for Marmol. One was willing to do the front offices bidding while the other wasn’t.

Long story short: I don’t think yadi needs much experience to manage the team. But I also don’t view him as willing to just do what he’s told and ignore his experience.

Reactions: Aclone

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
I did this for two seasons. It stopped being effective last year so I’m wondering if they were catching on.

Either way, I’m not doing it anymore. Way too much effort for me. MLB can F right off if they’re going to continue to make it this hard to consume their product.
I’m watching both spring training games right now on my laptop with no issues. ISU game on the tele

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I’m watching both spring training games right now on my laptop with no issues. ISU game on the tele
I don’t know what happened but it stopped working for me. I used private VPN and would broadcast from my laptop to tv through the MLBTV app.

Like I said, I’m not paying $150/yr for MLB.TV plus a VPN service to be afforded the privilege of jumping through a bunch of hoops just to consume a product. I’ll just not watch.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have been looking at MLB’s top draft prospect list. Considering three guys in the top ten are college guys who probably fit best at 1B (not counting White, who looks more like a DH$), and that a HS kid (PJ Morlando) isn’t too far off, I was thinking that if the right pitcher isn’t here at #7, it might be good to grab an eventual replacement for Goldschmidt.

Then I went to look at the list of potential free agents for next offseason, to see just what quality pitchers might be available next year…and I see that Goldy is on the list. No club or player options, just flat out a free agent.

My, how time flies.

I guess I know why they didn’t trade Burleson. 1B is probably his best position on the field.

I suppose they could stick Gorman there, but I haven’t seen him take any reps at first. They have had him take some at 3B this Spring to keep his hand in.

I suppose both sides are waiting to see how Goldy fares this season? A two year contract with a club option would put him at age 40 at the end of ‘27.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Yadi has plenty of experience managing in winter league, he will hold players accountable and get the best out of them. Being a big leaguer all those year at a high level will help him and the players would respect him and what he did as a player.
From what I've been reading about the winter leagues Yadi is a long way from being ready to be a manager in the Majors. Marmol is a long way from being the second coming of Tommy Lasorda but I feel like canning him for Molina would be a step backwards.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
From what I've been reading about the winter leagues Yadi is a long way from being ready to be a manager in the Majors. Marmol is a long way from being the second coming of Tommy Lasorda but I feel like canning him for Molina would be a step backwards.
I think they’ll gauge where Yadi’s head is at after this season on him wanting to be in the dugout everyday. Marmol’s contract is up after this year. But they gotta be careful with a legend like Yadi. It’s easy to hire him but incredibly hard to let him go if things don’t go well

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Brandon Crawford is an interesting free agent pick-up.
I'm not entirely surprised. If nothing else, it brings a veteran presence and proven winner to the clubhouse. I've seen interviews where Arenado talked about how the young guys kind of overran the veterans in the clubhouse last year. I don't know that Goldy and Arenado are very vocal leaders so this might just be to bring in a veteran voice.

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
I don’t necessarily hate it. Kinda of like the Carp signing. A guy that played a hell of a shortstop during his career that can help Winn out. But also probably means Edman isn’t gonna be ready.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Just tells me Yadi doesn’t wanna manage for a couple more years and they don’t want to have to go through hiring/firing another manager for Yadi. Or Yadi putting on a different uniform as a manager.
Or they know it's going to be a rough couple years and you need to set up your fall guy.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Just tells me Yadi doesn’t wanna manage for a couple more years and they don’t want to have to go through hiring/firing another manager for Yadi. Or Yadi putting on a different uniform as a manager.
It's a two-year deal. That's nothing for the team to fire him and get out of. I agree, odd timing, but I sort of understand not wanting a lame-duck guy. But I wouldn't imply too much from a two-year extension.

• Agree

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Victor Scott optioned to Memphis. That means Dylan Carlson is the Opening Day CF.

That really makes me happy. Hopefully he stays healthy and has a chance to establish himself. Then when Scott is ready, the can slide Dylan to left if they want.

I never have understood why they like Noot so much. Sure, he’s a likable guy, but I haven’t seen the oroduction they seem to be expecting. Well, hopefully when he gets healthy he establishes himself as well.

One way or another, extra pieces for trade bait are always good to have. The more kids come up from the minors (Scott and Saggese next), the more spare pieces And someone may have to slide to 1B next year.

Today’s lineup below. Possible Opening Day lineup?

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 4

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Victor Scott optioned to Memphis. That means Dylan Carlson is the Opening Day CF.

That really makes me happy. Hopefully he stays healthy and has a chance to establish himself. Then when Scott is ready, the can slide Dylan to left if they want.

I never have understood why they like Noot so much. Sure, he’s a likable guy, but I haven’t seen the oroduction they seem to be expecting. Well, hopefully when he gets healthy he establishes himself as well.

One way or another, extra pieces for trade bait are always good to have. The more kids come up from the minors (Scott and Saggese next), the more spare pieces And someone may have to slide to 1B next year.

Today’s lineup below. Possible Opening Day lineup?
I've never understood why the front office has such a hard on to deal Carlson. I think he's a damn good outfielder with a serviceable bat. Every time he seems to be getting established they talk about sending him packing. That can't be good for the kid's confidence.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron