MLB: ***Official 2024 St. Louis Cardinals Thread***

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Players talking after last night dramatic win at home over a sub .500 team how that could be the spark that gets them going. I'd say this situation needs dynamite ... not a spark.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Remember that Stanford pitcher who threw 156 pitches one game last year, Quinn Mathews?

Cards gambled on him as a 4th year LHP pitcher on the 4th round, to help fill out system SP depth

Fastball averaged 91.5 at Stanford.

Four starts at Palm Beach, well into the mid 90’s. Averaged over 95 tonight, consistently hits 96.2.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I am glad I cant watch this team. Do not care until Mo and Oli are gone.
You really are not missing much, they have struggled to hit the entire season, outside of a couple of players. Winn has been a nice surprise; kid looks like a future star. Walker was sent down again, same problem as last year, just cannot lay off the outside pitch nor hit it the other way, tries to pull it every time. Goldie has struggled, we are continuing to mix and match on a daily basis. I am sure Oli, or the FO will say it's about the match up, but it's really trash. The starting pitching has been hit or miss and the bullpen has already blown a couple of games. This team is going to struggle until they fire the FO, including Oli and bring in a manager that is allowed to manage instead of doing what the FO wants and tells you to do. Finally spend some money on pitching that is young and going to be there, do like Gray though.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
You really are not missing much, they have struggled to hit the entire season, outside of a couple of players. Winn has been a nice surprise; kid looks like a future star. Walker was sent down again, same problem as last year, just cannot lay off the outside pitch nor hit it the other way, tries to pull it every time. Goldie has struggled, we are continuing to mix and match on a daily basis. I am sure Oli, or the FO will say it's about the match up, but it's really trash. The starting pitching has been hit or miss and the bullpen has already blown a couple of games. This team is going to struggle until they fire the FO, including Oli and bring in a manager that is allowed to manage instead of doing what the FO wants and tells you to do. Finally spend some money on pitching that is young and going to be there, do like Gray though.

The Redbirds are not hurting for money which chaps my ass.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The Redbirds are not hurting for money which chaps my ass.
Correct, they might as well be printing money over there, but it's not going back into the team, but in the coffers of the ownership group. 16th salary last year but top three in attendance says it all. They are cheap, refuse to make a decision on trading away our young players for better players because they suck at it, and end up getting rid of players that develop into All Stars on other teams.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Correct, they might as well be printing money over there, but it's not going back into the team, but in the coffers of the ownership group. 16th salary last year but top three in attendance says it all. They are cheap, refuse to make a decision on trading away our young players for better players because they suck at it, and end up getting rid of players that develop into All Stars on other teams.
My position remains the same: Dewitt and Mo are viewing this like a business, not a baseball team.

What’s the objective of a business? Maximize profits. You do that by keeping costs as low as you can while maintaining or driving up revenue.

Their approach is to put the cheapest team possible on the field while maintaining fan interest. 16th in payroll and 3rd in attendance is a huge win from their perspective. Their objective isn’t to win, it’s to do just enough to keep the fans interested.

Until attendance starts to drop significantly, they won’t change. Even then, they’re getting so much from streams other than ticket sales, it still might not matter.

As fans, we think Mo sucks because he doesn’t build winning teams. From Dewitt’s perspective, he’s a massive success because he’s making the organization loads of money.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My position remains the same: Dewitt and Mo are viewing this like a business, not a baseball team.

What’s the objective of a business? Maximize profits. You do that by keeping costs as low as you can while maintaining or driving up revenue.

Their approach is to put the cheapest team possible on the field while maintaining fan interest. 16th in payroll and 3rd in attendance is a huge win from their perspective. Their objective isn’t to win, it’s to do just enough to keep the fans interested.

Until attendance starts to drop significantly, they won’t change. Even then, they’re getting so much from streams other than ticket sales, it still might not matter.

As fans, we think Mo sucks because he doesn’t build winning teams. From Dewitt’s perspective, he’s a massive success because he’s making the organization loads of money.

This isnt the A's this is Stl. The team with the 2nd most titles. You can still spend money and make money hand over fist. Pisses me off.

Help Support Us

Become a patron