***Official 2023 Weather Thread***

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My area is showing as severe drought and my yard hasn't ever been as consistently green as it was this year (in 15 years of living at my current home). Had consistent rain all year, and quite a few soakers.
My area shows moderate drought but when we did some work we hit water quick and tile lines were still running this fall.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My area shows moderate drought but when we did some work we hit water quick and tile lines were still running this fall.
The state is very dry. Go ask the communities, particularly out west, who are having water supply issues. Go check the stream gauges. We need a couple of wet years to recover.

1000001149.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and Turn2

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The state is very dry. Go ask the communities, particularly out west, who are having water supply issues. Go check the stream gauges. We need a couple of wet years to recover.

View attachment 120728
That's nice, but I'm in an area listed as orange, and I can tell you we had a lot of rain this year and my yard never browned out for the first time in 15 years.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That's nice, but I'm in an area listed as orange, and I can tell you we had a lot of rain this year and my yard never browned out for the first time in 15 years.
As much as you think your local anecdotal evidence applies to the whole state, trust me there is mountains worth of data collected all over the state that says otherwise. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are in an area listed as "orange", but if you are talking about the stream gauges then what happens upstream is more important then conditions at the gauge location. The point of that is to show that streams all over the state are low, which is an indicator of long term drought.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
70 to 80% higher temps? How is that calculated? Do you do the math on absolute temp? If so we are dying!

The percentage is a likelihood of the temperatures being higher. It's saying that they are quite certain (70% - 80% certainty) that the temperatures will be above normal. It's not indicating how much above normal, just that it's quite likely to be above normal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As much as you think your local anecdotal evidence applies to the whole state, trust me there is mountains worth of data collected all over the state that says otherwise. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you are in an area listed as "orange", but if you are talking about the stream gauges then what happens upstream is more important then conditions at the gauge location. The point of that is to show that streams all over the state are low, which is an indicator of long term drought.
That map shows nothing for the north 40% of the state. All unranked basically.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I didn't read the header of the map and thought it was drought conditions.

I'm south of Des Moines, listed below in "severe drought", and there's no indication anywhere around my area that it is particularly dry.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
The percentage is a likelihood of the temperatures being higher. It's saying that they are quite certain (70% - 80% certainty) that the temperatures will be above normal. It's not indicating how much above normal, just that it's quite likely to be above normal.
Ohhhhh - sorry

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

I'm south of Des Moines, listed below in "severe drought", and there's no indication anywhere around my area that it is particularly dry.

Check the Osceola water supply.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Just have them come to eastern Iowa. All the creeks and rivers are very, very, very low - some of them nearly dry. I‘d say our drought condition category is accurate.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I just find it strange that we've had other years where we were in a similar drought condition, and my yard was dead brown and had huge cracks in it. No idea how long of a timeline they keep tracking deficits though.
Probably because the exact spot of your quarter acre lawn isn't representative of the amount of area the drought monitor is attempting to reflect. Rains have been extremely spotty the past couple of years. In many cases, a distance of a mile could be a difference of four to five inches annual rainfall pretty easily.

• Winner
Reactions: Tri4Cy and cstrunk

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Most of the streams and smaller rivers south of Des Moines are nearly dry!

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I just find it strange that we've had other years where we were in a similar drought condition, and my yard was dead brown and had huge cracks in it. No idea how long of a timeline they keep tracking deficits though.
Vegetation is a short term response to rainfall and local variability plays a part as well. Same with tile line flow. We have had below average rainfall totals for over 3 years now. That has significant long term impacts.

Reactions: cstrunk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron