***Official 2022 Weather Thread***

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My dog hasn’t slept much with fireworks over the last week. He slept in until 10:00. I let him out to go potty and grabbed his leash and he just gave me what I think was a doggy eye roll and rolled over in the rub my belly position. We are clearly not walking today. Hoping no derecho this far south.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Is this actually a derecho? I'm beginning to feel like they're just starting to call every wind storm a derecho.

IMO it is a combination of several things.
1. We recently had the strongest one on record hit the state's second largest city.
2. I beleive they are becoming more common...but lets stay out of the cave.
3. Data is more widely available, recorded and tracked. These types of systems have always occurred but we didn't know about it for various reasons.

1 is a big one in my book. There was a similar threat last year during Airventure. It was well forecasted and severe storms did occur. They cancelled everything after 5PM and did the best they could to give tens of thousands of people time to prepare and find shelter. The grounds never really got severe weather but a tornado did hit not too far away.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
1. We recently had the strongest one on record hit the state's second largest city.
3. Data is more widely available, recorded and tracked. These types of systems have always occurred but we didn't know about it for various reasons.

1 is a big one in my book. There was a similar threat last year during Airventure. It was well forecasted and severe storms did occur. They cancelled everything after 5PM and did the best they could to give tens of thousands of people time to prepare and find shelter. The grounds never really got severe weather but a tornado did hit not too far away.
How do you think we are looking in CR / Marion?

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Hope that thing stays down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-140700_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-140700_Chrome.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 18

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013

I'm 66 years old and I don't remember anything like the CR derecho. And then we had a similar event last winter. I don't understand the exact conditions that trigger these. To me it just looks like a line of pretty intense thunderstorms out in S.D. Those we have multiple times per year.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Is this actually a derecho? I'm beginning to feel like they're just starting to call every wind storm a derecho.
Derechos are really pretty common. It looks like there are usually at least a couple in the Midwest/Great Plains every year. But I think the 2020 derecho (which was notably large) is just what brought the word into our vocabulary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_derecho_events

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Any eta on this over central Iowa? Is this a reliable source. I’m not seeing much from anyone else.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Any eta on this over central Iowa? Is this a reliable source. I’m not seeing much from anyone else.

I saw a FB post from Amber Alexander, she didn't mention "derecho" but did mention very high winds as a concern through NW Iowa.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
How do you think we are looking in CR / Marion?

Hard to tell, I imagine it will be weakening by that point when it get's here after 9-10PM. This will be an overnight system in our area. The storms are riding a stationary front so as it wobbles so does the storms.

Reactions: cyfanatic

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Anyone who lived in Vinton 10 or so years ago already knew the derecho.
I saw that bad boy coming from the air traffic control tower in Cedar Rapids. The dust the derecho kicked up on the horizon looked really, really weird … I didn’t know what it was until later. Still remember seeing dented-in grain silos from that out west along Highway 30 near Marshalltown, I think.

And of course, I got to ride out Derechopalooza 2020 in my car parked on the shoulder of Highway 30 near Belle Plaine. I’d just as soon never experience that ever again, thank you very much.