MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I checked the standings yesterday morning and saw that the Cubs, Brewers and Pirates all had 9 game losing streaks going. The Cubs are closing in on the Reds for the cellar spot.

good. They'll get a better draft pick that way.
I figured we were good for 90 losses, but suddenly 100-105 is in play.
That shouldn't be possible for a team with Cubs money.

It shouldn't, but the owners are trash so here we are. The thing that pisses me off most is all of the broken promises after the last time they pulled this stunt. Just wait until we get Wrigleyville built up and that money starts coming in. Just wait until we get our own tv network and that money starts coming in.

Yet here we are a decade later going through another tear down.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I believe that this is the year they are changing to a draft lottery.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

It shouldn't, but the owners are trash so here we are. The thing that pisses me off most is all of the broken promises after the last time they pulled this stunt. Just wait until we get Wrigleyville built up and that money starts coming in. Just wait until we get our own tv network and that money starts coming in.

I get upset that the owners have repeatedly cried poor when they have plenty of money and they are a big market.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

When billionaires talk money or make promises, they're lying.

• Winner
Reactions: cyguy9320

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I get upset that the owners have repeatedly cried poor when they have plenty of money and they are a big market.

I get the feeling the Cubs don’t want to be big market idiots with bad contracts. The LA Angels have a similar payroll but have dished out some awful contracts that have not improved the club or it’s future. Guys like Upton, Pujols, and now Rendon have really caused issues with their massive contracts that were on the books for a long time.

Another example is the Texas Rangers—-they have $71 million committed to Seager, Semien, and Gray for the next 4-5 years. All 3 are having bad years and the franchise is bound to them for the foreseeable future.

I don’t see the Cubs making huge commitments to players in Free Agency from here on out. They have the payroll to make a splash in free agency but why pay $25 million for a guy like Semien when you can replace his production with a 24 year old in your system for $700k?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Morel, Suzuki, Horrner are there any other offensive pieces worth keeping.

Obviously Contreras but him and Happ are likely gone by the deadline.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I get the feeling the Cubs don’t want to be big market idiots with bad contracts. The LA Angels have a similar payroll but have dished out some awful contracts that have not improved the club or it’s future. Guys like Upton, Pujols, and now Rendon have really caused issues with their massive contracts that were on the books for a long time.

Another example is the Texas Rangers—-they have $71 million committed to Seager, Semien, and Gray for the next 4-5 years. All 3 are having bad years and the franchise is bound to them for the foreseeable future.

I don’t see the Cubs making huge commitments to players in Free Agency from here on out. They have the payroll to make a splash in free agency but why pay $25 million for a guy like Semien when you can replace his production with a 24 year old in your system for $700k?

I get that, they have been burned by bad contracts and some of them were not even that great of players over the years like Heyward, Soriano, Edwin Jackson, Chatwood, Fukudome, Milton Bradley, etc. But they need to be more heavy into that 2nd tier level contracts where you can get good return on guys with shorter and more reasonable deals that won't cripple you for 7 or more years if they flop.

The thing that frustrates me the most is the double talk by the ownership and front office denying that is is a full on rebuild when that is exactly what is it. They didn't make any splashes in free agency or trades in the offseason to give this team any chance to compete and it will become obvious by the deadline they are going to sell off any tradable asset that will bring back some value in prospects. You are going to have to pay Heyward what is left on his deal regardless and he has been garbage this year so they need to swallow their pride and DFA him as he's had plenty of consistent playing time over the years we know he is not going to get any better than he is now. Simmons has been useless too, he's only on a 1 year deal so not sure why he hasn't been DFA yet too but apparently they must think eventually he'll stop hitting weak grounders if they keep him around. There are guys at AA and AAA that you may as well start giving looks to as I would rather see the Cubs get their teeth kicked in playing them than guys that won't be around next year or the year after.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

If they were serious about competing next year you'd keep Contreras and extend him and probably keep Happ too but those 2 may be the only 2 bats on this team besides the 3 you mentioned that you have to keep that will bring any kind of return in a trade right now. I hope the bullpen gets it figured out soon because some of the guys they were counting on trading has sure stunk it up this past week too.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think schwindel might be fine if we move him to DH or he picks up the ability to play a few positions. He doesn't provide enough value at full time 1B offensively

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

The weird thing to me is they actually did all the hard work of modernizing the franchise. All the locker room and training facilities in Wrigley, all the front office and team buildings, the spring training facility. They upgraded their minor league affiliates to teams that had better facilities, they beefed up all their scouting and analytic depts. And for from 2011-16, they did absolutely everything you would want great owners to do.

Then not only did they stop doing it, they took huge steps backwards. They slashed scouting and development jobs to save hundreds of thousands, which is nothing when you own an asset worth over $1B that only increases in value. It makes zero sense to me what they're trying to do. Being terrible at the major league doesn't mean you will be any good in the future if you aren't investing in scouting and development. Just because bottoming out worked once is no guarantee that it will happen again.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I get that, they have been burned by bad contracts and some of them were not even that great of players over the years like Heyward, Soriano, Edwin Jackson, Chatwood, Fukudome, Milton Bradley, etc. But they need to be more heavy into that 2nd tier level contracts where you can get good return on guys with shorter and more reasonable deals that won't cripple you for 7 or more years if they flop.

The thing that frustrates me the most is the double talk by the ownership and front office denying that is is a full on rebuild when that is exactly what is it. They didn't make any splashes in free agency or trades in the offseason to give this team any chance to compete and it will become obvious by the deadline they are going to sell off any tradable asset that will bring back some value in prospects. You are going to have to pay Heyward what is left on his deal regardless and he has been garbage this year so they need to swallow their pride and DFA him as he's had plenty of consistent playing time over the years we know he is not going to get any better than he is now. Simmons has been useless too, he's only on a 1 year deal so not sure why he hasn't been DFA yet too but apparently they must think eventually he'll stop hitting weak grounders if they keep him around. There are guys at AA and AAA that you may as well start giving looks to as I would rather see the Cubs get their teeth kicked in playing them than guys that won't be around next year or the year after.

it's also just one side of the FA equation. They don't win anything without Jon Lester.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Contreras is worth keeping, but in rebuild mode he has more value trading for prospects.

I like Wisdom as an 8/9 batter. He's pretty solid on defense and if he can be a 30 HR guy and hit .225 there's a place for him in modern baseball.

Cubs need high OPS guys at 1st, LF & DH. Will be curious if Cubs think Morel's long-term position is CF. Wouldn't mind Morel at SS & Suzuki in CF.

Not sure what to think of the pitching staff at this point. Early in the season I thought there was potential in some of the young arms. Could scouting have caught up with some guys.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If they were serious about competing next year you'd keep Contreras and extend him and probably keep Happ too but those 2 may be the only 2 bats on this team besides the 3 you mentioned that you have to keep that will bring any kind of return in a trade right now. I hope the bullpen gets it figured out soon because some of the guys they were counting on trading has sure stunk it up this past week too.
I know I have more patience than most but I'd rather see them build from within for long-term success rather than sell off the prospects for a quick fix. I'm not apposed to adding free agents as long as they are long-term solutions.

Plus the way things are going our 2023 draft pick may be top 5. I'd hate to lose that signing a free agent.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know I have more patience than most but I'd rather see them build from within for long-term success rather than sell off the prospects for a quick fix. I'm not apposed to adding free agents as long as they are long-term solutions.

Plus the way things are going our 2023 draft pick may be top 5. I'd hate to lose that signing a free agent.

I'd prefer they look into the Dodgers approach. They seem to do fine with FA and prospects.
There's never a point where the Ricketts approach has to happen.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Contreras is worth keeping, but in rebuild mode he has more value trading for prospects.

I like Wisdom as an 8/9 batter. He's pretty solid on defense and if he can be a 30 HR guy and hit .225 there's a place for him in modern baseball.

Cubs need high OPS guys at 1st, LF & DH. Will be curious if Cubs think Morel's long-term position is CF. Wouldn't mind Morel at SS & Suzuki in CF.

Not sure what to think of the pitching staff at this point. Early in the season I thought there was potential in some of the young arms. Could scouting have caught up with some guys.

They need to move Contreras. He's having a career year, cash in on it. The Cubs are years away from being close to contending. They should have moved Hendricks last season too.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008

Judge will be cf and dh next year.

• Haha
Reactions: isucy86

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Ricketts better not overextend himself in case another EPL team comes up for sale.