MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I’m frustrated with Frazier’s situation because the Cubs don’t know what they have and are playing Heyward everyday. Frazier isn’t in the long term plans but there are 3 or 4 guys in the organization that are worth a look.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Jed met with the media the other day and he went on and on about how a few guys haven’t panned out this year the way they expected them to.

My take is that he expected Wisdom and Schwindel to be the best version of what we saw last year, and that was just an unrealistic pace for damn near every major leaguer.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
By 2024, I do see a legitimate high-level team again if the FO doesn’t **** around. Not 2016 good, but competitive. We’ll have lots of OF options and I think our infield should be solid. Assuming we extend Contreras, our only glaring hole would be 1B. Nothing in the minors other than Bryce Ball and I could do without Schwindel and Wisdom

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
By 2024, I do see a legitimate high-level team again if the FO doesn’t **** around. Not 2016 good, but competitive. We’ll have lots of OF options and I think our infield should be solid. Assuming we extend Contreras, our only glaring hole would be 1B. Nothing in the minors other than Bryce Ball and I could do without Schwindel and Wisdom
I think there is a lot to be excited about with the young pitching right now and that has been a LONG time since the Cubs have had any quality starting pitching come up through the minor leagues. Same with OF prospects too, 2 guys they got in the trades last year in Canario and Crow-Armstrong have looked good so far and still have Brennan Davis who is hurt right now too in that mix.

Can always sign or trade for a 1B, therr is always someone available at the corners. I'd like to see the Cubs at least make some progress to returning to being competitive again by signing a few guys to be long term pieces at positions they don't have a guy to fill the spot soon which is pretty much anywhere in the infield at the moment. Nico is a nice player but still not sold he can stay healthy consistently enough to be an everyday SS.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
1B prospects, what do you think of Mervis at AA?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think there is a lot to be excited about with the young pitching right now and that has been a LONG time since the Cubs have had any quality starting pitching come up through the minor leagues. Same with OF prospects too, 2 guys they got in the trades last year in Canario and Crow-Armstrong have looked good so far and still have Brennan Davis who is hurt right now too in that mix.

Can always sign or trade for a 1B, therr is always someone available at the corners. I'd like to see the Cubs at least make some progress to returning to being competitive again by signing a few guys to be long term pieces at positions they don't have a guy to fill the spot soon which is pretty much anywhere in the infield at the moment. Nico is a nice player but still not sold he can stay healthy consistently enough to be an everyday SS.
Personally would love Nico to fill in at the Zobrist role but I’m not sure if a utility man is what he wants

Reactions: CYdTracked

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Personally would love Nico to fill in at the Zobrist role but I’m not sure if a utility man is what he wants
Nico is an occasional All-Star 2nd baseman. He can play SS, but just doesn't have the range & arm to be the Cubs SS for the next 10 years.

I understand playing Horner at SS and Madrigal at 2nd the remainder of the season to create trade value for Madrigal (or even Horner).

I'll be curious if the Cubs feel Morel is the long-term solution in CF or maybe SS or 2nd.

The Cubs need to find some high OPS bats in the off season at 1st, LF and DH.

I am probably in the minority, but I am OK with Wisdom. He's a solid defender and if he can hit .230ish and hit 25+ HR's- I'd have no issue with him as an 8th/9th batter..

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I remember reading after Heyward signed he paid to upgrade Ross to suites all season as appreciation for showing him the ropes as a rookie. Just don't believe Ross has it in him to sit JH.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I remember reading after Heyward signed he paid to upgrade Ross to suites all season as appreciation for showing him the ropes as a rookie. Just don't believe Ross has it in him to sit JH.
We haven't had 3 outfielders out perform him to warrant a benching. Between ass depth and injuries there isnt much.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Happ, Morel, Ortega. When Suzuki is good to go the need to DFA Heyward.
Bote is on the way back too I think not that that plays much into the outfield situation but they need room. That being said I'm OK with bote not being on the roster too.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I forgot about Morel. If everyone is healthy i would do Happ Morel Suzuki. Then a fight between Ortega and Hayward for backup.

I think they are afraid to play both Morel and Velazquez at the same time (probably to make it seem like they aren't doing a rebuild even though we all know it is). Play Hayward also keeps that narrative of not rebuilding.

Im not defending the FO or Hayward. I just imagine thats what their thinking is. I would have cut Hayward in May if I was running the team. Other than Contreras I wouldn't have anyone under 28 playing this year. Let the young guys run and figure things out.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Bote is on the way back too I think not that that plays much into the outfield situation but they need room. That being said I'm OK with bote not being on the roster too.
Having Bote allows Morel to be a full-time outfielder. Morel is one of the few pieces we can count on as a long-term solution.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Having Bote allows Morel to be a full-time outfielder. Morel is one of the few pieces we can count on as a long-term solution.
I can't remember does bote play anything but 3rd and 2nd base? I'm not sure his production is better than what we grt from wisdom, but 2nd base is a bit of a boondoggle I guess.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron