***Official 2021 Weather Thread***

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Any of the experts have some insights into what's expected and/or uncertainty with this system? I see wx underground has 9" of snow between 1/23 and 1/27.
If you want some detail read the forecast discussion on the NWS:https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...MX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Here is the discussion for the system later this week:

Meanwhile, a trough digging across the western US will begin to phase with the northern stream as it moves in the central US. The system is fairly messy as it moves across the CWA as models do not completely phase the northern and southern streams until east of the area. as such, there is still considerable uncertainty with this system, especially in regards to precipitation type. Models struggle with depth of the warm nose aloft and loss of ice introduction later in the event which would significantly impacts any accumulations. A wintry mix is likely further south with better chances for only snow further north and into Minnesota, but this will remain sensitive to any shift in timing and track.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If you want some detail read the forecast discussion on the NWS:https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...MX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Here is the discussion for the system later this week:

Meanwhile, a trough digging across the western US will begin to phase with the northern stream as it moves in the central US. The system is fairly messy as it moves across the CWA as models do not completely phase the northern and southern streams until east of the area. as such, there is still considerable uncertainty with this system, especially in regards to precipitation type. Models struggle with depth of the warm nose aloft and loss of ice introduction later in the event which would significantly impacts any accumulations. A wintry mix is likely further south with better chances for only snow further north and into Minnesota, but this will remain sensitive to any shift in timing and track.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

• Friendly
Reactions: aauummm

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Ok, who's going to start the 1/23-1/27 weather thread? Weather Underground is showing 10" of snow in Des Moines for that time period.

The problem with Weather Underground is that those overall 24-hour totals are rounded up. It doesn’t matter much for 24 hour events, but 10 inches seems inflated by 4-5 days of totals that are rounded as integers instead of decimals.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think last storm they predicted around 6"-8" of snow north of DSM and we only got around 4" but it was heavy wet snow. Western Iowa got hit with a lot more wind and they seemed to get more of the snow on the back side. Whereas they were only suppose to get a couple of inches of snow. I saw pictures of 4'-5' tall drifts in some areas.

The really worry could be what follows the this storm a the low could produce some slightly warmer conditions and we could be in the zone for freezing rain and drizzle. I would much rather see 8" of snow over a 1/4" or more of freezing rain.

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV and aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
From the Quady City NWS afternoon Forecast Discussion

"Saturday night into early next week, a clipper system will track
north of the area and a southern stream system will move just south
of the area. Similar to last night, these two systems seem to NOT
phase and the clipper continues to appear more progressive. The