MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Not a Cubs fan, but is there a player in MLB that has cost himself more future money than Baez has? A couple of years ago he looked like he was going to be a 30 million a year player, right now, he would be lucky to get 10 million a year.

lol, he's going to get a lot more than 10 million a year. A LOT more.

I think you're a couple decades behind on what the average MLB veteran makes per year.

Reactions: Shawker

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Also, at this point, what's the point of keeping Contreras?

better to trade him in the offseason when you would potentially have more bidders?

or they're going to go on a signing spree in FA this or next winter.

I'm assuming the former.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Also, at this point, what's the point of keeping Contreras?
I bet the are listening, but have high asking price. They still have a year on his contract, probably get more trading during the offseason.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I bet the are listening, but have high asking price. They still have a year on his contract, probably get more trading during the offseason.

Would you though? I figure you'd get more with 1.5 years of control if there is a contender needing help at catcher. They'll overpay for someone who can help the playoff run this year and you keep next year.

I mean, do the Padres really want to go into the postseason with Caritini and Nola behind the dish?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Read it’s much tougher to trade a catcher in-season because they need as much time as possible to know how their pitchers pitch.

Hendricks is a bit of a head scratcher. He has a couple years left, maybe the hope is we won’t suck by the time he leaves

• Agree
Reactions: tman24

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Would you though? I figure you'd get more with 1.5 years of control if there is a contender needing help at catcher. They'll overpay for someone who can help the playoff run this year and you keep next year.

I mean, do the Padres really want to go into the postseason with Caritini and Nola behind the dish?

in the offseason, every team is 0-0 so you're not limited to one of 5 teams who are looking to add a piece and how many of those are looking for a catcher?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
in the offseason, every team is 0-0 so you're not limited to one of 5 teams who are looking to add a piece and how many of those are looking for a catcher?

I would think the limited market is benefited by the fact you get 1.5 years use out of them. You also have the benefit of knowing where you stand for the 2021 run.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It'll be interesting if they don't trade Bryant, which means they didn't get offered anything better than the 1st round pick they'll get if he leaves.