MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Javy is at his best when he uses right field more. I thought the light bulb came on in 2018 and Javy was going to be a star for years to come. He finished second in MVP voting and when pitchers would throw him away he went opposite field with it. Now he's back to trying to pull everything. He has enough power to hit the ball out the other way, but even if he doesn't, going the other way could mean more singles, doubles and would keep pitchers from just throwing him down and away. He's frustrating and not an OBP guy at all. He only walks twice a month.

I hope the Cubs don't give him a ton of money and resign him. It's time to move on from El Mago.

So, where is the hitting coach in this situation. If we see this, he must ?? Doe the hitting coach have any input, or is he just a figurehead?

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Predictions for today

Kimbrel to Dodgers for Gavin Lux
KB to Mets for Preciano

I’d love to see Javy moved but don’t think it will happen. I fear the FO will overpay him in the offseason and pull off a “see, we didn’t lose everybody!” stunt
If the Cubs get Lux for Kimbrel I would be frickin' ecstatic.

The KB trade would be much less exciting.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I'm starting to get a bit anxious now, about further deals. If we end up keeping KB and Kimbrel, I'll be pissed.

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
So, where is the hitting coach in this situation. If we see this, he must ?? Doe the hitting coach have any input, or is he just a figurehead?
The Cubs have gone through 6 hitting coaches since 2015. The hitting coach can go over video and approach with these guys between games but when they step into the box it is totally up to them and egos take over.

Every time you go to the plate you need to have a plan. The plan for most of these guys today is swing hard all the time because you might run into one. I hate when Cub hitters strike out with a runner at 3rd and one out. Situational hitting is a lost art. Put the ball in play to the right side and do a job. It's why the shift works so much these days. Hit a ball the other way and it's an easy single, sometimes double, but they aren't paid to do that and that's what teams want guys to do so they go away from their power.

Now, that's easier said than done because you also have more and more pitchers throwing 97-98 these days. The Cubs just need to balance the lineup more with some contact guys to go along with the all or nothing guys.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The Cubs have gone through 6 hitting coaches since 2015. The hitting coach can go over video and approach with these guys between games but when they step into the box it is totally up to them and egos take over.

Every time you go to the plate you need to have a plan. The plan for most of these guys today is swing hard all the time because you might run into one. I hate when Cub hitters strike out with a runner at 3rd and one out. Situational hitting is a lost art. Put the ball in play to the right side and do a job. It's why the shift works so much these days. Hit a ball the other way and it's an easy single, sometimes double, but they aren't paid to do that and that's what teams want guys to do so they go away from their power.

Now, that's easier said than done because you also have more and more pitchers throwing 97-98 these days. The Cubs just need to balance the lineup more with some contact guys to go along with the all or nothing guys.
Javys issue is he can strike out on 3 pitches that all bounce and teams figured that out.

• Agree
Reactions: CRCySpy

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames

Good reply - just the way I see it.

• Agree

CyState85

May 8, 2019

Couldn’t agree more. The Cubs are terrible at situational hitting and lose so many close games. They also don’t steal or bunt often and have relied on HR’s for their scoring production for way too long. The Cubs also have the most strikeouts in baseball since 2014.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The delay, coupled with the reports of the high asking price, make me think other GMs are just testing Hoyer's resolve. They know he has to move them. So I'm guessing they are sitting tight knowing he will have to cave at zero hour on a lesser deal.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
With Blue Jays giving the Twins their top 2 prospects, they drop out and Cubs move into Fan Graphs 10th best farm system after ending 2020 at 24

• Informative

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

Do the Cubs get Eloy back? :p

Kind of odd for the White Sox though since they already have a lockdown closer. I have to imagine Kimbrel will be the new closer since he's never been a setup guy.

Edit: The White Sox farm system sucks so I'm not optimistic about the return.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Be interesting what Cubs got back. Wouldn't be surprised if it were something like Crochet, Sheets, & maybe another top prospect.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
So if Madrigal is the 2nd Baseman of the Future does that mean Nico Hoerner the SS and Baez gone?

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
guess the kimbrel to rays fell through, or was a bluff to get more out of the white sox.