MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Do you, and the rest of the cubs fans here realty believe this team in the current landscape can win 4 out of 7 against either of the other division leaders in the national league? Let alone the Yankees, astros, or even the twins?

I mean I wanna believe they can, but there is no way I can envision a scenario where this team is competing for anything more than first in the mlb version of the big 10 west.

We won 3 out of 7 against the Dodgers this year with 4 played in LA and 3 in Chicago. 4 of those 7 games were 1 run games with each team 2-2 in those games. So do I really believe they can win in current landscape, absolutely. This team has the talent to win, and if they get hot at the right time, they can definitely beat anyone in a series. Now would I put money on it, absolutely not. The Cubs are not the best team in baseball this year, but they have the talent to win if they hit a hot streak at the right time.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Of course. But with the way that roster was constructed, the window should have been open a lot wider.

It will truly be an upset if the cubs get past the division round 3 years later.
Assuming it’s Cubs/Braves in the NLDS, cubs at worst will be very slight underdogs money wise. I bet it’s damn close to even

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So you’re basing everything on the idea that the tigers can win a regular season game, and that the cubs can beat a team they have a losing record against, because you think they’re more talented?

Keep hope alive, I guess. This worked for over a century.

Is there a more stark realization of how truly mediocre the rickets family is as owners, when you realize the window for championships has almost fully closed already, less than 3 years later.

The Rickets family has been terrific as owners, they aren't the ones responsible for developing minor league talent or making player personnel decisions. All of the facility upgrades up and down the organization, all of the increased revenue streams, the modernization of Wrigley, will benefit the Cubs greatly going forward. The curse is over, the Cubs are now just another big market power who is expected to contend for World Series year in and year out. That's a long, long way from where they were under the previous ownership.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think this “Championship Window closed” talk is a bunch of ****, pardon my French.

We spent $12.5 million on a pretty good bullpen arm when healthy this season on a guy who will not throw a single pitch. While he’s a member of the “championship window,” he certainly wasn’t a vital chip for the entire window.

The FO went out and got the best closer the last 5 years mid-season for the next 3 years. Championship window that.

We spent $12.5 million on a guy we figured could fill in at second base but got divorced and missed 90% of the season. He is damn near 40 years old. He certainly wasn’t a vital chip for our “championship window” after 2019.

The front office has covered second base with Ian Happ and Tony Kemp, who, while not all stars, have put forth some of the quietest clutch hits we’ve had the last 3 weeks. Both are here three more years at least, championship window that.

I can’t fault the FO for thinking a guy who received MVP votes at age 22 would somewhat bounce back at age 25. He’s actually been fine since coming back off the bench. Championship window that.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think this “Championship Window closed” talk is a bunch of ****, pardon my French.

We spent $12.5 million on a pretty good bullpen arm when healthy this season on a guy who will not throw a single pitch. While he’s a member of the “championship window,” he certainly wasn’t a vital chip for the entire window.

The FO went out and got the best closer the last 5 years mid-season for the next 3 years. Championship window that.

We spent $12.5 million on a guy we figured could fill in at second base but got divorced and missed 90% of the season. He is damn near 40 years old. He certainly wasn’t a vital chip for our “championship window” after 2019.

The front office has covered second base with Ian Happ and Tony Kemp, who, while not all stars, have put forth some of the quietest clutch hits we’ve had the last 3 weeks. Both are here three more years at least, championship window that.

I can’t fault the FO for thinking a guy who received MVP votes at age 22 would somewhat bounce back at age 25. He’s actually been fine since coming back off the bench. Championship window that.

This is without a doubt the first time Tony Kemp has been used as an example of why a team's championship window is still open.

Every one of these reasons is stupid, Addison Russell's struggles and lack of development is one of the main reasons that their window has closed much sooner. As you said he went from an All-Star as a 22 year old, a SS with a great glove and legit power, to a guy who isn't even starting now and has bounced back and forth from Iowa to Chicago for domestic abuse suspension and a lack of focus. How in the world is that an example of their championship window being open longer?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This is without a doubt the first time Tony Kemp has been used as an example of why a team's championship window is still open.

Every one of these reasons is stupid, Addison Russell's struggles and lack of development is one of the main reasons that their window has closed much sooner. As you said he went from an All-Star as a 22 year old, a SS with a great glove and legit power, to a guy who isn't even starting now and has bounced back and forth from Iowa to Chicago for domestic abuse suspension and a lack of focus. How in the world is that an example of their championship window being open longer?

Because they’re guys who the FO wasn’t expecting to have to step up in a role this year, who have stepped up in their role this year, and will be around longer than the $25 million wasted on other guys.

You want stupid?

Get this - two dudes on a forum saying a championship window is closed for a team that has Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, and Wilson Contreras for a few years still, 4 of 5 starters who are top 3 in the NL pitching staffs returning the next season, the best closing pitcher in baseball the last 5 years guaranteed for 2 more years, along with over $60 million in expected money to spend in the offseason.

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

All of that returning in 2020, and being concerned about the 2020 farm system.

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Pretending like guys like Kemp and Happ haven’t been important contributors in August.

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Instead of celebrating scoring 12 runs after giving up 9 runs in a 3 inning span, coming back and winning a game, complaining about how the team gave up those runs to begin with, neglecting the fact that Yu Darvish was the best pitcher in the Majors for a month prior.

Now that’s stupid.

You want stupid?

Saying Castellanos is a platoon player.

Now that is stupid.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Because they’re guys who the FO wasn’t expecting to have to step up in a role this year, who have stepped up in their role this year, and will be around longer than the $25 million wasted on other guys.

You want stupid?

Get this - two dudes on a forum saying a championship window is closed for a team that has Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, and Wilson Contreras for a few years still, 4 of 5 starters who are top 3 in the NL pitching staffs returning the next season, the best closing pitcher in baseball the last 5 years guaranteed for 2 more years, along with over $60 million in expected money to spend in the offseason.

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Pretending like guys like Kemp and Happ haven’t been important contributors in August.

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Instead of celebrating scoring 12 runs after giving up 9 runs in a 3 inning span, coming back and winning a game, complaining about how the team gave up those runs to begin with, neglecting the fact that Yu Darvish was the best pitcher in the Majors for a month prior.

Now that’s stupid.

You want stupid?

Now that is stupid.

Yeah...the team with all those guys was in the second wild card spot on Aug 21st. Also, Yu Darvish hasn't been close to the best pitcher in the majors for the last month, he hasn't even been the best pitcher on the Cubs for the last month.

But really explain to me how Addison Russell's progression over the last three years has been a good thing for extending the championship window?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Fiery @ISUCubswin is a good thing.
Keep the fire, brother.

I’m all for getting upset losing to the Phillies the way we did and being emotional, but non-stupid baseball fans understand the Cubs were without their 4 best bullpen arms.

I’m all for getting upset the FO dropped the ball on second base and center field this year. Non-stupid baseball fans also give credit to the FO who did grab Kemp and Happ, two solid pieces when Russel and Zobrist ended up dropping the ball. It’s not like great second baseman are waiting for the Cubs to call.

I’m all for wishing the farm system was #1, top five, or top half. Non-stupid baseball fans realize that if you have a team full of guys who do have a World Series under their belt playing within the organization for a few more years, with a ton of money coming off the shelves, your farm system can take time to recover.

I’m all for finding stats that fit your argument. Non-stupid baseball fans realize Nick Castellanos is not a platoon player.

I’m all for worrying about a championship window. If you’re the 2008 Cubs. Or the 2018 Washington Nationals. Non-stupid baseball fans realize the foundation of the 2016 World Series team is still intact, and will be in 2020 as well. And 2021. And maybe even 2022!

• Agree

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I’m all for getting upset losing to the Phillies the way we did and being emotional, but non-stupid baseball fans understand the Cubs were without their 4 best bullpen arms.

I’m all for getting upset the FO dropped the ball on second base and center field this year. Non-stupid baseball fans also give credit to the FO who did grab Kemp and Happ, two solid pieces when Russel and Zobrist ended up dropping the ball. It’s not like great second baseman are waiting for the Cubs to call.

I’m all for wishing the farm system was #1, top five, or top half. Non-stupid baseball fans realize that if you have a team full of guys who do have a World Series under their belt playing within the organization for a few more years, with a ton of money coming off the shelves, your farm system can take time to recover.

I’m all for finding stats that fit your argument. Non-stupid baseball fans realize Nick Castellanos is not a platoon player.

I’m all for worrying about a championship window. If you’re the 2008 Cubs. Or the 2018 Washington Nationals. Non-stupid baseball fans realize the foundation of the 2016 World Series team is still intact, and will be in 2020 as well. And 2021. And maybe even 2022!

And to pile onto this, winning the World Series is just plain hard, and takes a lot of breaks.
Of anybody, Cubs fans should get that. Sure, the wait is over, but we should get that it ain't easy, and other teams apparently shoot for it, too.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Yeah...the team with all those guys was in the second wild card spot on Aug 21st. Also, Yu Darvish hasn't been close to the best pitcher in the majors for the last month, he hasn't even been the best pitcher on the Cubs for the last month.

But really explain to me how Addison Russell's progression over the last three years has been a good thing for extending the championship window?

They had zero second baseman. They had zero center fielder. They had the most inconsistent lineup in all of baseball. KB and Rizzo, the best NL run producing duo in 2016, were forced out of that role because someone had to leadoff and bat second.

Ten different leadoff men is NOT a winning formula.

They now have second baseman. They have a center fielder. They have a consistent leadoff and two hitter, which have put 2016 Rizzo and KB in spots they can be counted on to produce runs instead of focusing on getting base and hoping someone else scores them.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

You want stupid?

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Now that is stupid.

You want stupid?

Now that’s stupid.

You want stupid?

Now that is stupid.

I will bet you any amount of money you want that the cubs will not come out of the nl this year, or next year.

The desperation you’re clinging to here is telling. You don’t need to convince others, you’re trying to convince yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJack13

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Also to note

Cubs have a two loss streak and a four loss streak in August, when the roster was pretty much finalized.

The two loss streak, the Cubs faced Trevor Bauer and Sonny Gray, two of the best pitchers in baseball right now.

The four loss streak consisted of 3 blown saves by a depleted bullpen and Hamels was the other, who happens to be the only starting pitcher not returning next year.

We suck!

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
They had zero second baseman. They had zero center fielder. They had the most inconsistent lineup in all of baseball. KB and Rizzo, the best NL run producing duo in 2016, were forced out of that role because someone had to leadoff and bat second.

Ten different leadoff men is NOT a winning formula.

They now have second baseman. They have a center fielder. They have a consistent leadoff and two hitter, which have put 2016 Rizzo and KB in spots they can be counted on to produce runs instead of focusing on getting base and hoping someone else scores them.

The Cubs are 4-4 the last 8, 5-5 the last 10, 6-6 the last 12, 7-7 the last 14, 14-14 the last 28, 44-44 the last 88. What time frame are we looking at when they're back to being elite all of a sudden?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I will bet you any amount of money you want that the cubs will not come out of the nl this year, or next year.

The desperation you’re clinging to here is telling. You don’t need to convince others, you’re trying to convince yourself.

Third best odds in the NL. Second best belongs to the Braves. I would take our starters, bullpen, infield, catching, and, oh ****, outfield, over the Braves in 2019.

The Dodgers are a unit. Are they better than the Cubs? Yes. Does that mean the Cubs aren’t a championship caliber team? No.

Also, I find it funny that you and Jack both resort to betting money.

Cubs need to win 12 of their next 36 games to win the 80 Jacko thought they’d struggle to get to.

• Agree

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Cubs have the fourth worst road record in the NL which is definitely a problem. But they also have the second best home record in the NL. That says to me that it is a mental problem not a talent problem. If a team gets on a roll they can often overcome mental blocks like that so I am going to just enjoy the ride.

Sounds like Joe needs to resume his themed road trips.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Third best odds in the NL. Second best belongs to the Braves. I would take our starters, bullpen, infield, catching, and, oh ****, outfield, over the Braves in 2019.

The Dodgers are a unit. Are they better than the Cubs? Yes. Does that mean the Cubs aren’t a championship caliber team? No.

Cubs need to win 12 of their next 36 games to win the 80 Jacko thought they’d struggle to get to.

They should win 80, the nl sucks.

You’re so confident, you can back that up.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Yeah they are gonna win 80 some games just like I said. Which will be yet another thing I'm right on.

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

The desperation is coming from CyJack who has talked negative about the team so much that he feels he needs to tell everyone else about it and convince them that it is fruitless to watch another game. Nobody is buying. We are all just trying to enjoy some baseball rather than have someone constantly talk about what is wrong. How about we enjoy what is right in peace.