NBA: ***Official 2017-2018 Regular Season Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Cleveland should have never re-signed Smith, Shumpert, and Korver. Those 3 aren't worth 33 million a year.

The Tristan Thompson contract was a bad deal, too. LeBron puts his teams in a unique situation where they always have to rebuild and retool on the fly. Can't waste a year of the best player in the world on a rebuilding season. With that kind of pressure bad deals are going to happen.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc and CyJeans

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
There's some rule that says if you trade first you can't trade another meaning their own is out so they can't trade the Brooklyn one. It's roughly that but more complex.

Yeah I know. I’m just surprised they only had to give up their own pick instead of the Brooklyn pick.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
The Tristan Thompson contract was a bad deal, too. LeBron puts his teams in a unique situation where they always have to rebuild and retool on the fly. Can't waste a year of the best player in the world on a rebuilding season. With that kind of pressure bad deals are going to happen.

Yeah but he gets rings wherever he goes, so it’s hard to knock.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
There's no soft landing if LeBron leaves, the Cavs have been to zero Finals in NBA history without LeBron on the roster. They've been to four with him. Even if you think you only have a 5% chance or so of winning this year, that's a more realistic shot than they will have once LeBron leaves. Hell I would move the Nets pick for DeAndre Jordan at this point too. Plus it's actually probably better to bottom out if LeBron leaves than scrape together a 35-45 win type of team with no shot at realistically competing for anything beyond a playoff berth.

My point was that now is really the best time to set yourself up to bottom out next year. Adding what they did only puts you at an 8 seed in the east given how crappy that conference is. Idk maybe they can flip those guys next year but I highly doubt they get anywhere near the same value. Accept fate now and capitalize while the draft is strong, trade IT and whomever for picks this year, keep your own pick, and focus on building a team from within now and not taking on already developed players making actual money.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So what's Cleveland's go to lineup now, Clarkson, Hill, Hood, LeBron and Thompson/Love? They

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
My point was that now is really the best time to set yourself up to bottom out next year. Adding what they did only puts you at an 8 seed in the east given how crappy that conference is. Idk maybe they can flip those guys next year but I highly doubt they get anywhere near the same value. Accept fate now and capitalize while the draft is strong, trade IT and whomever for picks this year, keep your own pick, and focus on building a team from within now and not taking on already developed players making actual money.

Bottoming out is not really the hard point of any rebuilding plan. Title shots don't come around often as Cleveland's history shows, even if you have only a 5-10% shot at the title this year, it's worth chasing. There's a good chance they will never have a player as good as LeBron on their team for however long they remain a franchise, you don't pass up a shot at going for it to build for the future when you have a guy like him.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Relying on draft picks to be good is a dangerous game. If their plan is to bottom out after LeBron leaves, then we’re talking about banking your future on kids that are in high school at the moment. Not a smart bet.

They still have a shot this year so you take your chances.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think the Cavs got better with their additions.

Barns and McDermott together is a cool story.

lol at the TWolves wanting to add Rose.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
The Cavs still need a rim protector but I don’t think they’re going to be able to get a useful one.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Bottoming out is not really the hard point of any rebuilding plan. Title shots don't come around often as Cleveland's history shows, even if you have only a 5-10% shot at the title this year, it's worth chasing. There's a good chance they will never have a player as good as LeBron on their team for however long they remain a franchise, you don't pass up a shot at going for it to build for the future when you have a guy like him.

Yeah I get what you are saying and I can understand why but also remember LeBron has never won anything without another legit star or two. He is the best player, I don't disagree with that, but he has been given too much power everywhere he goes which has led to bad deals and bad trades. Maybe I am reading too much into it but with a strong draft coming up and a rebuild in the immediate future I am taking the power back now IMO to build something sustainable potentially. LeBron has too much power IMO and he is a terrible GM.

I am not a warriors fan but there is precedent to suggest that building a team through the draft and not mortgaging your future is a better sustainable path to take. Of course all good things come to an end but they look to be built for the long haul.

Kyrie may believe the earth is flat but he was smart enough to get out before the ship went down.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Relying on draft picks to be good is a dangerous game. If their plan is to bottom out after LeBron leaves, then we’re talking about banking your future on kids that are in high school at the moment. Not a smart bet.

They still have a shot this year so you take your chances.

Sure not every draft pick is a star, but that is exactly why you maximize your chances at acquiring one. In a strong draft, the more picks you have the more likely you are to get one.

More than anything, I feel like this is the same lines fed to me that garpax did with the Bulls and ultimately they were 5 years too late on the rebuild. I'd rather pull the bandaid off now rather than die the slow death they have set themselves up for.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yeah I get what you are saying and I can understand why but also remember LeBron has never won anything without another legit star or two. He is the best player, I don't disagree with that, but he has been given too much power everywhere he goes which has led to bad deals and bad trades. Maybe I am reading too much into it but with a strong draft coming up and a rebuild in the immediate future I am taking the power back now IMO to build something sustainable potentially. LeBron has too much power IMO and he is a terrible GM.

I am not a warriors fan but there is precedent to suggest that building a team through the draft and not mortgaging your future is a better sustainable path to take. Of course all good things come to an end but they look to be built for the long haul.

Kyrie may believe the earth is flat but he was smart enough to get out before the ship went down.

Yes and no, he didn't have that much power in Miami. It was a combination of bad signings, Joel Anthony, and bad luck, Mike Miller getting hurt again and again, that constrained the roster there, and that run ended with four Finals appearances and two titles so it's not like it didn't work out. Cleveland the first time around was a case of them being in a rush to be good instead of waiting to be great and led to them putting a mess of a roster around LeBron, also you can argue that they were afraid to think outside the box and go with more untraditional lineups around LeBron to really take advantage of him.

The Warriors model is not something that can be copied, drafting Draymond in the second round and seeing him become an All-NBA type guy was a great move and you can say that was great scouting/development. But having Curry signed to a way under market deal due to concerns with his ankle injury history and then become durable and develop into an MVP and then having the salary cap increase in a huge way the very offseason that a top three player was available were both fluke events.

Having a cheap superstar (or stars) is the best way to build a roster as it gives a chance to fill out a quality roster around them and then go over the salary cap to keep the team intact. The Cavs never really had that option this time around, LeBron wasn't coming back to wait to contend and once they signed him and brought in Love they were basically capped out as far as adding much outside help.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Isn't New Orleans further from Europe than NY?
Funny! He’s one step closer to being out of the NBA. New Orleans basically said they aren’t playing him. It was a trade to help get under the luxury tax 400,000 and puts them in the buyout market. Rashads days as an nba player are numbered.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Forgot Fri. night was round 1 T-wolves vs Bulls. Twolves choked as while former T-Wolf Zach Lavine lit his old team up down the stretch.

Help Support Us

Become a patron