NBA: ***Official 2017-2018 Regular Season Thread***

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
To recap the Cavs so far...

In: Nance Jr, Clarkson, Hood, and Hill

Out: IT, Rose, Frye, Crowder, Shumpert and 18 Cavs 1st

Seems like an upgrade, plus they somehow kept Brooklyn’s pick.

They better hope that Brooklyn Pick becomes a star because if/when Lebron leaves they are going to be in limbo with that very average team. Kyrie leaving screwed up their long term outlook.

These deals may seem good on paper in the short term but ultimately it doesn't change the long term outlook. The fan base will revolt if they throw in the towel now but realistically that is what they should have done. Moved what they could for higher potential guys not a bunch of average fringe starters. Just my opinion

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
They better hope that Brooklyn Pick becomes a star because if/when Lebron leaves they are going to be in limbo with that very average team. Kyrie leaving screwed up their long term outlook.

These deals may seem good on paper in the short term but ultimately it doesn't change the long term outlook. The fan base will revolt if they throw in the towel now but realistically that is what they should have done. Moved what they could for higher potential guys not a bunch of average fringe starters. Just my opinion

There is no long term for a team like the Cavs. You go for it all now while you have the best player in the world. They’re just lucky they didn’t have to give up the Brooklyn pick for if or when they lose LeBron.

They came out of this trade deadline better for now and the future.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
There is no long term for a team like the Cavs. You go for it all now while you have the best player in the world. They’re just lucky they didn’t have to give up the Brooklyn pick for if or when they lose LeBron.

They came out of this trade deadline better for now and the future.

Now, yes the are marginally better, long term I disagree. There is a long term scenario for this team if you can stomach saying no to LeBron.

I just don't see how this team makes it to the championship even with these trades. I get your points but I think the writing is on the wall so why not take control back from Lebron and prepare for the future now while you have a strong draft class this year.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Now, yes the are marginally better, long term I disagree. There is a long term scenario for this team if you can stomach saying no to LeBron.

I just don't see how this team makes it to the championship even with these trades. I get your points but I think the writing is on the wall so why not take control back from Lebron and prepare for the future now while you have a strong draft class this year.

They are miles better in the long term. They shed a bunch of old guys and got younger.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I give the Cavs an A for effort. IT clearly is not the same player he was, and if George Hill can stay healthy then he represents a significant upgrade as a defense minded spot up shooter. Hood's an interesting addition.

It was a swing for the fences. I doubt it's enough to coax them past the Warriors and it might not be enough to even get them out of the East. But they had to do something. If they can get LeBron re-engaged for what's left of this season and make one last run then it was worth it. I'll have to double check but I don't believe they took on any truly awful contracts so of LeBron leaves they have some roster flexibility and what should be a top ten pick from the Nets.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
To recap the Cavs so far...

In: Nance Jr, Clarkson, Hood, and Hill

Out: IT, Rose, Frye, Crowder, Shumpert and 18 Cavs 1st

Seems like an upgrade, plus they somehow kept Brooklyn’s pick.
There's some rule that says if you trade first you can't trade another meaning their own is out so they can't trade the Brooklyn one. It's roughly that but more complex.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

These deals may seem good on paper in the short term but ultimately it doesn't change the long term outlook.
The fan base will revolt if they throw in the towel now but realistically that is what they should have done. Moved what they could for higher potential guys not a bunch of average fringe starters. Just my opinion

There's no soft landing if LeBron leaves, the Cavs have been to zero Finals in NBA history without LeBron on the roster. They've been to four with him. Even if you think you only have a 5% chance or so of winning this year, that's a more realistic shot than they will have once LeBron leaves. Hell I would move the Nets pick for DeAndre Jordan at this point too. Plus it's actually probably better to bottom out if LeBron leaves than scrape together a 35-45 win type of team with no shot at realistically competing for anything beyond a playoff berth.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Apparently D-Wade to the Heat now.

WTF is going on lol
I would say this was a move D-Wade was okay with. All moves they made today had to be approved by LeBron and there is no way they trade away LeBron's best friend without consulting him.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
There's some rule that says if you trade first you can't trade another meaning their own is out so they can't trade the Brooklyn one. It's roughly that but more complex.

The Ted Stepian rule, named after the former Cleveland owner and it prevents teams from trading their own first round picks in consecutive years. Not sure how it would impact the Brooklyn pick though.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Crazy the two Ames High teammates are on Dallas now. The odds of that have to be super small especially since they play the same position.

Our then 7 year old son got his picture taken with Doug and Harrison as they were shooting hoops after school, as were were waiting for our daughter to get done with cheerleading. He just walked down there and they let him shoot some hoops with them. Great guys!! Great memory saved in pictures.

Reactions: Doc and mb7299

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Rashad Vaughn just got traded to New Orleans right after getting traded to Brookly a week ago. He’s getting closer to being in Europe.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The Ted Stepian rule, named after the former Cleveland owner and it prevents teams from trading their own first round picks in consecutive years. Not sure how it would impact the Brooklyn pick though.
Ok so I figured it out thanks to Twitter. Since Cleveland sent its own first to LA it cannot send the Brooklyn first anywhere without receiving a first in return. So the Brooklyn pick is still tradable.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I give the Cavs an A for effort. IT clearly is not the same player he was, and if George Hill can stay healthy then he represents a significant upgrade as a defense minded spot up shooter. Hood's an interesting addition.

It was a swing for the fences. I doubt it's enough to coax them past the Warriors and it might not be enough to even get them out of the East. But they had to do something. If they can get LeBron re-engaged for what's left of this season and make one last run then it was worth it. I'll have to double check but I don't believe they took on any truly awful contracts so of LeBron leaves they have some roster flexibility and what should be a top ten pick from the Nets.
Cleveland should have never re-signed Smith, Shumpert, and Korver. Those 3 aren't worth 33 million a year.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Cleveland should have never re-signed Smith, Shumpert, and Korver. Those 3 aren't worth 33 million a year.

But the only other choice was to replace them with guys who would accept league min deals. They are so far over the cap they couldn't add other players, only resign their own.