MLB: ***Official 2016 - 17 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO CUBS Offseason Thread***

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
And rightfully so.

Dave Kaplan said that the Cubs wouldn't even offer to sign Chapman on any financial terms. I gathered that something didn't click with Chapman and the team. But there is no doubt he was a reason for winning the title.

I have heard the team was told, specifically Rizzo, that Chapman was only going to be there this year. The guys didn't like his history, and made it known to management, management promised it was only for the rest of this year.

That is all hear say, but I can believe it based on some of things said by guys like Kaplan that are plugged in.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Maddon was managing in panic mode the entire post-season with his pitchers. He was inexplicably pulling his starting pitchers when they shouldnt have been. Perfect example was pulling Hendricks in Game 7. He was cruising, and got a horrible call by the ump that got him into a little heat.

And if you listen to Maddon's explanation, he didn't pull Hendrick's because of him getting into a little heat. He pulled him because Lester had been warming up for so long that if he didn't go to him he likely never could for the game.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
And if you listen to Maddon's explanation, he didn't pull Hendrick's because of him getting into a little heat. He pulled him because Lester had been warming up for so long that if he didn't go to him he likely never could for the game.

That might be true but that's on Maddon for warming him for so long. Hendricks really had shown no issues to that point plus he's proven to be able to go deep in games.

It was terrible pitching management all around for Game 7. He's lucky the Cubs pulled it out or he'd be the new goat.

Thank god that didn't happen and we are celebrating because that would have been an all-time sports nut punch.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Swing changes are difficult to fix, hope it works.

The good thing for Hayward is that he basically can't make it any worse. He was the 4th most unproductive hitter in baseball behind a bunch of no-hit SS. He really has nothing to lose by totally redoing his swing.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
That might be true but that's on Maddon for warming him for so long. Hendricks really had shown no issues to that point plus he's proven to be able to go deep in games.

It was terrible pitching management all around for Game 7. He's lucky the Cubs pulled it out or he'd be the new goat.

Thank god that didn't happen and we are celebrating because that would have been an all-time sports nut punch.

For a regular season game, he hadn't shown any issues, but for a game 7, having two on with one out and one run already in with the heart of the lineup up in the 3rd is enough to get the bullpen going.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
For a regular season game, he hadn't shown any issues, but for a game 7, having two on with one out and one run already in with the heart of the lineup up in the 3rd is enough to get the bullpen going.

Not with the league leader in ERA on the mound and a bullpen where the manager only trusts 1 or 2 guys, IMO.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Hendricks had issues in the 3rd so he got Lester up. I cant fault him for that, especially on the heals of Kluber putting down 8 or 9 straight Cubs in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd innings, and the Cubs only having a 1-0 lead.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

He shouldnt have gotten him up so early then. There was no need to get Lester up throwing that early with the way Hendricks was throwing. Hendricks could have easily went 7 that night, have Lester start an inning fresh, then go to Chapman.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Hendricks had issues in the 3rd so he got Lester up. I cant fault him for that, especially on the heals of Kluber putting down 8 or 9 straight Cubs in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd innings, and the Cubs only having a 1-0 lead.

Giving up 1 run in the 3rd is having issues? They were up 5-1 in the 5th, Hendricks was cruising and actually wouldnt have given up any runs if not for a blind umpire. Looking back at the play by play, Hendricks should have had a 1-2-3 5th, but after 1 walk which wasnt even his fault, he inexcusably puts in Lester with guys on base. If anything he should have put in Edwards, Grimm, etc to get the 1 out, then start Lester fresh in the 6th. Just some bizarre decisions by Maddon if you actually think about them.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Giving up 1 run in the 3rd is having issues? They were up 5-1 in the 5th, Hendricks was cruising and actually wouldnt have given up any runs if not for a blind umpire. Looking back at the play by play, Hendricks should have had a 1-2-3 5th, but after 1 walk which wasnt even his fault, he inexcusably puts in Lester with guys on base. If anything he should have put in Edwards, Grimm, etc to get the 1 out, then start Lester fresh in the 6th. Just some bizarre decisions by Maddon if you actually think about them.

Yep, giving up one run with two on and only one out and the heart of the order coming up is having issues when we're talking about Game 7 of the World Series.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yep, giving up one run with two on and only one out and the heart of the order coming up is having issues when we're talking about Game 7 of the World Series.

You also have to look at the context of how the runners got on base. One of them was because of an error. You also have to look at pitch counts, and things like if hes having control issues. None of which were the case.

I was screaming at my TV at the time when he kept getting Lester up and then he pulled Hendricks. I told my friend right then it was a horrible move and it would come back to haunt us even though we were up 5-1. Turns out I was right.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

In a Game 7, when the opposing pitcher (who is their ace) just had a stretch through the 1st-2nd-3rd inning where he set 8 straight Cubs down, you have a 1-0 lead and the game appears to be a pitchers dual, and your pitcher goes out in the 3rd inning and gives up a lead off double, sacrifice, and single, and the 2, 3 and 4 hitters are due up...yes you have issues, and in a winner take all game, there is no question you get the pen going.

Bottom line...he put Lester into the game not because Hendricks was struggling, but because if he didnt put him in soon, Lester was not going to be able to go in the game at all. If you waste Lester, you have to run the gamble of Hendricks giving you at least 7 innings, and thats way to big of a gamble for Game 7.

Again, Maddon decision was made before that game that he was only going to use three pitchers, Hendricks, Lester and Chapman. I wont argue that the plan was not good, and we had other capable arms that could of been trusted and used, but Maddon didn't trust anyone else, and with what was on the line, I cant fault him. Maddons explanation to Game 7 makes perfect sense to me, and I think his only fault was having zero trust in his bullpen. Hopefully the Cubs help him fix that this offseason.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You also have to look at the context of how the runners got on base. One of them was because of an error. You also have to look at pitch counts, and things like if hes having control issues. None of which were the case.

I was screaming at my TV at the time when he kept getting Lester up and then he pulled Hendricks. I told my friend right then it was a horrible move and it would come back to haunt us even though we were up 5-1. Turns out I was right.

At the time I disagreed with it as well. However, after hearing his side to the moves, I changed my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
In a Game 7, when the opposing pitcher (who is their ace) just had a stretch through the 1st-2nd-3rd inning where he set 8 straight Cubs down, you have a 1-0 lead and the game appears to be a pitchers dual, and your pitcher goes out in the 3rd inning and gives up a lead off double, sacrifice, and single, and the 2, 3 and 4 hitters are due up...yes you have issues, and in a winner take all game, there is no question you get the pen going.

Bottom line...he put Lester into the game not because Hendricks was struggling, but because if he didnt put him in soon, Lester was not going to be able to go in the game at all. If you waste Lester, you have to run the gamble of Hendricks giving you at least 7 innings, and thats way to big of a gamble for Game 7.

Again, Maddon decision was made before that game that he was only going to use three pitchers, Hendricks, Lester and Chapman. I wont argue that the plan was not good, and we had other capable arms that could of been trusted and used, but Maddon didn't trust anyone else, and with what was on the line, I cant fault him. Maddons explanation to Game 7 makes perfect sense to me, and I think his only fault was having zero trust in his bullpen. Hopefully the Cubs help him fix that this offseason.

Lester was pretty good in game 7, I don't really have much issue with how that went down, even if I think he pulled Hendricks too early.

His problem was game 6. All this talk about him only trusting Chapman, but he needed to bring in Carl Edwards to protect a two run lead in game 7 because he was too scared to bring him in to protect a 5 run lead in game 6

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Lester was pretty good in game 7, I don't really have much issue with how that went down, even if I think he pulled Hendricks too early.

His problem was game 6. All this talk about him only trusting Chapman, but he needed to bring in Carl Edwards to protect a two run lead in game 7 because he was too scared to bring him in to protect a 5 run lead in game 6

Dont disagree with that at all...he rode Chapman way to hard in Games 5 and 6.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Fox just put out this hypothetical lineup and even without Javy Baez. Wow.

L Jon Jay CF

S Ben Zobrist 2B

L Kyle Schwarber LF

R Kris Bryant 3B

L Anthony Rizzo 1B

R Willson Contreras C

L Jason Heyward RF

R Addison Russell SS

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I saw that they were floating the idea of batting Schwarber leadoff. He doesn't have the speed but he has a .353 OBP and a .451 OBP in 44 postseason AB. I think Zobrist and his career .358 OBP will see the bulk of the leadoff duty with this roster at the moment, it all really depends on where everyone winds up for everyday roles. Zobrist and Baez have a lot of positional flexibility so I could see Bryant and Russell resting more with Baez being able to cover those spots and Zobrist covering 2B and on the days Baez starts at 2B Zobrist plays a corner OF with someone sitting. Heyward can always move over to CF for some spot starts too if needed and it's likely Schwarber gets pulled after 6 or 7 innings in a tight game.

Listened to a show on the radio today that put the over/under for games Schwarber starts in the OF at 85, he surely with be the DH every game they play in a AL park and maybe gets a few spot starts behind the plate or possibly to give Rizzo a day off at 1B. His defense in the OF really puts the Cubs in a tough spot because he ideally is a DH or in the NL a 1B and he isn't going to take Rizzo's spot so they will have to find ways to keep his bat in the lineup while limiting the liability he is at times in the field. His days as catcher are likely over with only being used there in a spot start or situation where they have an injury or used up both catchers in pinch hit or double switch.

I'd love to sign Tyson Ross and have the luxury of letting him start the season finishing his rehab and get some starts in AAA before joining the team in Chicago. It would give the Cubs some time to evaluate Montgomery in the rotation and add some depth because the Cubs are due for an injury in the rotation after staying pretty healthy the past 2 years. Lot of teams interested, probably comes down to who will commit the most money and years to him. With the injury question a lucrative 1 year deal and some kind of vesting or mutual option if he stays healthy and meets some criteria would be ideal but with pitching at a premium on the FA market it may take a 3 year commitment to land him

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Schwarber is gonna lead off. Jed Hoyer basically already said so like 2 weeks ago. In 2015, Schwarber's base running metrics were actually better than Fowler.

LF - Schwarber
3B - Bryant
1B - Rizzo
2B - Zobrist
SS - Russell
C - Contreras
RF - Heyward
CF - Almora/Jay
Pitcher

That's gonna be the base lineup with moving Javy around like last year when facing a LHP starter. If Heyward starts hitting again, then he'll move up the lineup and might lead off even.

Help Support Us

Become a patron