*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I know it is par for the thread to claim the sky is falling, but you got to think TJ will have them working HARD on press break this week so we DON'T see another stretch like last night. Sure teams will try to replicate that, but I don't think we could duplicate that stretch again. I posted above, we averaged one foul and one turnover per minute for the last 12 minutes of regulation. Yes, conference title probably won't happen, but we will still end 10-8 or 11-7 and be a top 5 seed in NCAA.

Good post. However, i think people like me are just dumbfounded is all. its not like we haven't played in a hostile environment or faced a press this year. to be honest most the turnovers were not even that pressured.

it was like some switch was pulled and we turned into 8th graders for 10 minutes.

ISU in most sports has never handled being in the top ten very well, so this is just another example. now we can focus on being either barely ranked or just outside the top25, getting to the tournament, which was my goal the whole time.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Amazing how fast fans can turn on their team. Need to learn from this game and regroup. Lipsey looked like a freshman who panicked. We’ll see if Otz can coach or not. Lipsey should never be guarded until he proves he can hit a 15ft shot. Need to learn how to handle pressure it’s the formula against the backcourt.

There's plenty of evidence that he can coach.

Getting this team up off the mat after last night will be a huge test. I don't think they bottom out like ISU did in 18/19 but I think they'll get thumped pretty good Saturday and struggle hard for a couple of weeks.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know it is par for the thread to claim the sky is falling, but you got to think TJ will have them working HARD on press break this week so we DON'T see another stretch like last night. Sure teams will try to replicate that, but I don't think we could duplicate that stretch again. I posted above, we averaged one foul, one turnover and one point per minute for the last 12 minutes of regulation. Yes, conference title probably won't happen, but we will still end 10-8 or 11-7 and be a top 5 seed in NCAA.

It’s the same shot osu did to us.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
Tamin is who he is at this point. Has flashes when he gets downhill going to the basket and proven he can finish. Not willing to shoot a jumper outside of 10ft. Has moments where he picks up his dribble when there isn't pressure on him and then forces a terrible pass.
My fear is he didn't just have a "bad game" or "looked like a freshman", it's that other teams now have plenty of film on him now and his flaws are magnified.

Reactions: Clonefan32

JDugan

Dec 1, 2022

Getting this team up off the mat after last night will be a huge test. I don't think they bottom out like ISU did in 18/19 but I think they'll get thumped pretty good Saturday and struggle hard for a couple of weeks.
Don’t go off of last night. 8min mark panic was all over his face. Kids seemed to pick up on it and fold. Need to figure out if Lipsey can hit a 15ft shot. He can’t be that bad. Lack of confidence. If he is that bad. It will be 4 on 5 offensively from this point on. Will need to figure something else out or could be more of the same. This is where Otz needs to earn his $$.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Don’t go off of last night. 8min mark panic was all over his face. Kids seemed to pick up on it and fold. Need to figure out if Lipsey can hit a 15ft shot. He can’t be that bad. Lack of confidence. If he is that bad. It will be 4 on 5 offensively from this point on. Will need to figure something else out or could be more of the same. This is where Otz needs to earn his $$.

The last 11 minutes were what this team has done 2.5 games now. It might just be a part of their make up. It reminded me of the 14-15 team without the arguing.

Reactions: jctisu

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
The one thing on offense (and it happened last year too) is the guys run that perimeter passing, but most of the time they just make the pass like it’s programmed into their minds. Teams the second time we play them, or in the second half once they’ve seen it, start jumping passing lanes because we are going to throw it anyway.

Coaches and team (and maybe they do try and work on this but don’t do it in the game) need to make teams pay for being overly aggressive on our passing lanes once they start to do so. We could have back cut the hell out of Mizzou and Tech all day once they started over pursuing. That’s how you get a team to stay honest.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure how it's possible, but I woke up more upset about the loss then when I went to sleep...

I'd put it up there with KSU football '15 and '17 and the feeling was similar to some of ISU's worst NCAA upsets.

The positive is there's still 6 weeks to see what happens but it will it take some fortitude from everyone involved to recover.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'd put it up there with KSU football '15 and '17 and the feeling was similar to some of ISU's worst NCAA upsets.

The positive is there's still 6 weeks to see what happens but it will it take some fortitude from everyone involved to recover.

I literally had a hard time getting sleep last night because of that game. I have to imagine that the staff and team probably had a sleepless night as well.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
what the **** is he doing on the floor? worse player I have ever seen, guess I shouldn't call him a player

What the h@ll should he be called then? Look, he has his limitations, we all know that. But, he's not the reason why our starting backcourt had 15 combined turnovers last night. It seems like a lot of posters are making him the scapegoat for last night's collapse, which IMO is total bullsh!t. It is completely fair to wonder why Ward didn't play, but that's on the coaching staff.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
What the h@ll should he be called then? Look, he has his limitations, we all know that. But, he's not the reason why our starting backcourt had 15 combined turnovers last night. It seems like a lot of posters are making him the scapegoat for last night's collapse, which IMO is total bullsh!t. It is completely fair to wonder why Ward didn't play, but that's on the coaching staff.

I agree here. There are about a dozen reasons beyond Rob's play that we lost that game. I think he certainly leaves quite a bit to be desired, and I think it's justifiable to wonder why the staff gives him the minutes they do, especially late. But our guards wilted away late, and that's the main reason we lost.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
I agree here. There are about a dozen reasons beyond Rob's play that we lost that game. I think he certainly leaves quite a bit to be desired, and I think it's justifiable to wonder why the staff gives him the minutes they do, especially late. But our guards wilted away late, and that's the main reason we lost.
Yes,it is bull.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021

Will be hard to win Saturday and to do so would be epic.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Tamin is who he is at this point. Has flashes when he gets downhill going to the basket and proven he can finish. Not willing to shoot a jumper outside of 10ft. Has moments where he picks up his dribble when there isn't pressure on him and then forces a terrible pass.
My fear is he didn't just have a "bad game" or "looked like a freshman", it's that other teams now have plenty of film on him now and his flaws are magnified.

I remember mentioning this in the K-State game thread. They started to make their run when the shifted to a defense that completely ignored him and it completely disrupted our flow offensively.

It's going to be really difficult to have offensive success playing 3 against 5 on offense, which is where we are headed with them ignoring Lipsey and Rob, Watson, Ward and Tre being limited offensive threats.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I remember mentioning this in the K-State game thread. They started to make their run when the shifted to a defense that completely ignored him and it completely disrupted our flow offensively.

It's going to be really difficult to have offensive success playing 3 against 5 on offense, which is where we are headed with them ignoring Lipsey and Rob, Watson, Ward and Tre being limited offensive threats.
He's going to have to just start shooting some. If he isn't comfortable from 3 take a quick dribble inside the arc and pull up. Better than turning it over or becoming stagnant on offense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron