*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Out coached? How are you supposed to adjust to the refs calling you for a foul every possession the other team has for a 4 minute stretch? The refs lulled our guys to sleep with the whistles and tech ratcheted up the intensity. This was an awful, fabricated win for tech
Out coached is real simple, we blew a 23 point lead, TJ should have thrown a fit and got a T, just like Self does at KU. Show the officials, that they need to stop calling everything for the home team, and he will not stand for it.

Allow the players to refocus and tell the team that its us against the world, we are now playing not only TT, and their crowd, but also the refs. You would be surprised how often when Self does it his teams come out refocused and hammer home a win.

• Dumb
Reactions: peatyscotch

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
This is why I sent my daughter to Grand View. She's still a Cyclone fan but she won't live and die with the sports programs like her mom and I and other Alumni.
I don’t go to ISU and still can’t escape the consistent pain that is living and dying with Iowa State athletics

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
The refs did not cost us this game…. TJ did.

With that being said, something HAS to be done about officiating. The offensive player should not be allowed just to plow into the lane and run over people and get the blocking call every time.

What is the defender supposed to do when the offensive player drives into you and lowers their shoulder? It’s just stupid.
The officials gifted Tech AT LEAST 15 points in the second half off of bull **** “fouls”

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Bob did not cost us the game tonight. it was a poor decision for lipsey to try and pass him the ball. Bob did make 2 freethrows when needed
Felt like we might pull it out after he made those. Couldn’t hang onto the ball or get crucial rebounds at the end of regulation.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Bob Jones has absolutely no place on this team.
Come on. He has a place, but he should probably play fewer minutes and learn to pass the ball out of the low post. We don't have another guy that can throw their weight around down there right now. HE's trying ve,ry hard and is just not producing at his best right now. he does a few good things here and there and they may be all we can expect.

Now, if you'd like to argue that occasionally we should go a little smaller and have King on their bigs, I might be up for that. I am anxiously awaiting the return of Jaz. I hope that will give us the boost to go the rest of the season with a little less bad BRE. With Jaz in, the middle can't get clogged as easily and BRE can do the quick move on one man when he has leverage. Now he is just pivoting into the second defensive player and turning the ball over too often.

Reactions: AlCyJim

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Offensive flow and ball movement were so good in the first half. We have to have an offensive counter in the 2nd half when its inevitable the defensive intensity and aggressiveness is going to pick up. The tentativeness of out ball handlers and need to force up bad shots was extremely disappointing.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The officials gifted Tech AT LEAST 15 points in the second half off of bull **** “fouls”

Obviously tonight was not the night to do it. But if the officiating was truly that bad, TJ needs to rethink his calm demeanor. It didn't get do him any good tonight.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Well... we can either guard the ball 25 feet from the basket and move our feet to stay in front of them or back off and clog the lane. Instead we guarded 25 feet from the basket and then let them blow by us over and over and over again. Out of position teams ALWAYS get more fouls called on them.
I think it became clear to the guys that the refs weren't going to let them play their game defensively. They got whistled for a bunch of fouls in the 2nd half. It became clear that the refs were going to call them often. Our guys went belly up, not wanting to foul out. Just a disgracefully poor officiating job

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
This is why I sent my daughter to Grand View. She's still a Cyclone fan but she won't live and die with the sports programs like her mom and I and other Alumni.
I wish this happened to me sometimes. I think think I may need to just stop watching ISU Sports. Its so unhealthy. I wish I didn't care.

• Agree
Reactions: twincyties

CysFam

Jul 24, 2021
Harmon drove the lane like 10 times , try a zone? Anything else? Make them do something else!

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
i mean, we can still talk about it like it's theoretically possible, but i think it's unfair to everyone to be serious at this point, barring elimination of the team's negative tendencies in the last two games.
yeah, now you just try to avoid losing 6 of 7 or something crazy....this tape is going to be the blueprint of how to beat us, expect this over and over again now......ball pressure on Tamin and attack our guards off the dribble.....what you have to do now is figure out a way to get the ball up the floor, figure out a way to get into your offense with Tamin at the point, cover up these backcourt weaknesses, win out at home somehow, and get in the dance

5 games left at home, have to figure out a way to win those

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

And sometimes all the refs have to do to have an impact is keep things in reach until the other team can make their run. They did that.

Hell, they were doing it in the first half when somehow they couldnt call a foul on Tech for like 18 minutes, but at least that wasn't putting points on the board.

Reactions: twincyties

cyballrulz93

SuperFanatic
Jan 11, 2010
It's pretty obvious that this team has had its weaknesses exposed. The 2nd time through the conference was going to be a huge test for this group and it ain't starting out great. Put the conference title dreams to bed. Right now they just need to figure out a way to finish 10-8 and grab a 5 or 6 seed on Selection Sunday.

• Disagree
Reactions: peatyscotch

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Come on. He has a place, but he should probably play fewer minutes and learn to pass the ball out of the low post. We don't have another guy that can throw their weight around down there right now. HE's trying ve,ry hard and is just not producing at his best right now. he does a few good things here and there and they may be all we can expect.

Now, if you'd like to argue that occasionally we should go a little smaller and have King on their bigs, I might be up for that. I am anxiously awaiting the return of Jaz. I hope that will give us the boost to go the rest of the season with a little less bad BRE. With Jaz in, the middle can't get clogged as easily and BRE can do the quick move on one man when he has leverage. Now he is just pivoting into the second defensive player and turning the ball over too often.
I mean I’d rather not see someone with zero coordination and minimal athletic ability see any minutes to be completely honest. I get we’re playing with what we have as far as size, but I’d rather have Hawley play the 5 whenever I see Bob dribbling a ball off his feet.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
For the “corrupt refs/league” crowd can you give me any possible explanation why the Big 12 would want 0-8 Texas Tech to win tonight? What possible incentive could there be to screw us over? And only in the second half?

Get a damn drip people. We lose on foul differential every game because of how we play. Tonight was about having no offensive identity, handing them the ball and not guarding the ball.
Refs were fine, we didn't attack the paint, and we do this thing where we just hack people at times for no reason. Can't do that on the road, almost all of them were fouls. The game was being called a certain way, and we did nothing to adjust.