*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs #17 Texas Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yes, it is. You can block him to the ground and sit on him, but you can't pull him to the ground, which is what happened several times. On Texas' last drive, I could point out a hold on almost every single play in that drive. That is just inexcusable that refs allow that. When they called holding on about the first play, I thought, "Oh, wow, they are actually going to call holding on Texas?" But then the next ten plays or so they just let it go play after play and so business as usual again. Just maddening, even if we did win.

Also, I agree with Madguy, our game with West Virginia I expect to be as difficult as any game we have had so far. They have an aggressive defense and just enough offense to give us trouble. I can't believe we are 8 point favorites. If I were betting, I would take WV and 8 points without even having to think about it.
We need a "wide-eyed, innocently commenting" emoji. Or maybe I should have just used the jimlad. :cool:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Some majors fill up fast with Texas Football players. Some have to wait for a spot to open. Here is the top four. Adventure Education, Fermentation Sciences, Puppet Arts, and Sexuality Studies.
NOTE: actual degrees offered by some universities.
Hey, now! A Masters degree specializing in Human Sexuality is quite respectable!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Big hit on Hall lifted him off his feet at the end of a five yd first down run. Wondering why that hit was not flagged as targeting. Replay looked to me that defender hit with top of helmet. Did others wonder also?

That was a perfect textbook form tackle. And targeting isn’t called on running backs running with the ball, for obvious reasons

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
And targeting isn’t called on running backs running with the ball, for obvious reasons

Per the targeting rule, any hit with the crown of the helmet is targeting as long as one of the four indicators of targeting exists. So, yes, a running back can be the victim of targeting. Targeting does not require a defenseless player. However, if the player is defenseless, then the definition of targeting is greatly expanded and does not require a crown of the helmet hit. Just FYI.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I just watched this game again, and holy crap did ISU not finish drives. The other observation was that TX was absolutely mugging ISU receivers down field and that is why so many of Purdy's passes in the first half were overthrown. Also, TX was holding like crazy on almost every passing play. McDonald was either in a choke hold or tackled on every down he was in.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
That was a perfect textbook form tackle. And targeting isn’t called on running backs running with the ball, for obvious reasons

Yeah, not true at all. A running back is not a defenseless player, but have seen many a targeting called on players tackling running backs.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Anyone have an answer for the holding call on Schweiger during Halls 20+ yd run in the second quarter? I replayed that 3 or 4 times. It looks like the Texas d lineman throws Schweiger down into a Texas linebacker. I'm assuming they're saying Schweiger held the linebacker? Looked like a completely phantom call to me but there weren't great camera angles on the play

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Anyone have an answer for the holding call on Schweiger during Halls 20+ yd run in the second quarter? I replayed that 3 or 4 times. It looks like the Texas d lineman throws Schweiger down into a Texas linebacker. I'm assuming they're saying Schweiger held the linebacker? Looked like a completely phantom call to me but there weren't great camera angles on the play

I agree it was a total bogus call. He was on the ground and the linebacker fell over him. Unless he grabbed his leg which I definitely didn't see. Compared to the tackles the Texas O-line was executing every play, definitely nothing there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought the call was on Remsburg (which wasn’t really didn’t affect the play). He did have his arms around him for a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone