*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs #17 Texas Game(Day) Thread ***

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I agree wholeheartedly. Immediate and obvious concern was that we left too much time on the clock.
You leave too much time on the clock by running hurry up offense and snapping early in the clock when you don’t have to. We didn’t do any of that in that drive. You take the points as they come and put the onus on the other team to have to try to get down the field.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You leave too much time on the clock by running hurry up offense and snapping early in the clock when you don’t have to. We didn’t do any of that in that drive. You take the points as they come and put the onus on the other team to have to try to get down the field.
That punt over halfway though the 4th told you everything you needed to know about what confidence Campbell had in the D to stop them after we scored. Probably regardless of time left

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We did speed things up until the Soehner completion, then we slowed it back to our normal pace.

When the game is on the line, you score whether there are 3 seconds or three minutes left. The drive before halftime we went about 30-40 yards in 3 minutes or so. So it’s not like we had gobs of time when we took possession. The idea if we should have not scored right away that a few have suggested is an extremely poor idea.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

Strategically, yes this is what you want to do. However, there are only a handful of teams that can consistently execute at a level where you can feel confident in gaining 3-4 yards per a play. I would not feel confident in Iowa State being able to perform this strategy because I don't think we consistently execute at a high enough level to be able to get those 3-4 yards per play. Teams like Alabama could do this, Kansas State with Snyder was able to do this, even Iowa on their better teams were able to do this. While our offensive line is opening holes for Breece to run through, they aren't consistently getting that 2-3 yard push off the line for this strategy to work.

The key to running down the clock is consistently high level execution; something that I don't think we have achieved yet.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Especially with the issues in the red zone and ISU having a nice rhythm. Keep the defense scrambling and get in there.

If there's analytics that say don't score to go ahead with under two minutes left, then faith in analytics should be very low.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You don't need to take points off board. QB under center takes knee for 1/2 yard loss and loss of down. Force TO. Score on next play.

Absolutely not. We struggled all day in the red zone. It was very possible that we would not have scored.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well, the holding throughout the game is part of the reason why our defense didn't look better and had trouble stopping them at times, including on that last drive.
I lost count of how many times their #70 tackled his man & sat on him. I dunno...is that holding?

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Big hit on Hall lifted him off his feet at the end of a five yd first down run. Wondering why that hit was not flagged as targeting. Replay looked to me that defender hit with top of helmet. Did others wonder also?

I was watching that play on the replay and thought the same thing about the targeting. The announcers said something along of the lines of "great form tackle.....but maybe should have raised his head a little". No ****.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 83cy and Yaz

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Texas OF looked very good on the last series. Backed up with holding call to the ~10 yd line. Moved 50 yds in a buck, 25. Seems our D cannot hold teams when game is on the line. If the FG was good, would we have said we could we hav done better?
Teams are usually successful in moving the ball in their 2 minute offense. Defenses intentionally give up the short pass in the middle. It's also tough to stop an offense that has 4 downs to go 10 yards at a time. I would take a last second 57 yarder in that situation. Ehlinger doesn't turn it over very often and can eat up chunks with his feet. More times than not Ehlinger gets them in the red zone on that drive.

You also have to give credit to the ISU defense for drawing that holding penalty.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I lost count of how many times their #70 tackled his man & sat on him. I dunno...is that holding?

Yes, it is. You can block him to the ground and sit on him, but you can't pull him to the ground, which is what happened several times. On Texas' last drive, I could point out a hold on almost every single play in that drive. That is just inexcusable that refs allow that. When they called holding on about the first play, I thought, "Oh, wow, they are actually going to call holding on Texas?" But then the next ten plays or so they just let it go play after play and so business as usual again. Just maddening, even if we did win.

Also, I agree with Madguy, our game with West Virginia I expect to be as difficult as any game we have had so far. They have an aggressive defense and just enough offense to give us trouble. I can't believe we are 8 point favorites. If I were betting, I would take WV and 8 points without even having to think about it.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Was curious who he was so I googled their roster. Looked at about half the roster and saw a junior and senior that were undeclared majors. How can that happen?
Some majors fill up fast with Texas Football players. Some have to wait for a spot to open. Here is the top four. Adventure Education, Fermentation Sciences, Puppet Arts, and Sexuality Studies.
NOTE: actual degrees offered by some universities.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Some majors fill up fast with Texas Football players. Some have to wait for a spot to open. Here is the top four. Adventure Education, Fermentation Sciences, Puppet Arts, and Sexuality Studies.
NOTE: actual degrees offered by some universities.
Fermentation sciences?? When I was at ISU, most players were in Leisure studies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron