*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thought about this game on the drive this morning. Our D was ok probably overtrapped on D. But we never really got our good offense going. Very little ball rotation and I don't think we even had 1 lob to Ward. We missed a lot of paint points ( I think someone posted less than 50% on lay up and dunks)

Well time to see what happens with player/staff (no info on staff just thought it should be included) comings and goings. Then let TJ and company sort it out and come back next yr.

Well I'll be back in Hilton in November. Only 1 team gets to end the season on a W, maybe it'll be us next yr. At least want us back in the dance.

Reactions: Cupped and madguy30

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Not sure I’ve felt like this since the MSU loss in 2000
This one isn't even close to the 2000 loss imo. That team had legit national title potential and got screwed on seeding. This team lacked star power and was facing an uphill battle to beat Uconn in Boston.

I'm about over last nights loss already, but I'm still not over the 2000 Auburn Hills game.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
One of the biggest takeaways for me (that is very uncharacteristic for ISU) is our passing could have been much better. ISU had a few critical passes stolen that they normally don't do. We just were not quite ourselves last night.... and it was just barely enough to lose the game.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
One of the biggest takeaways for me (that is very uncharacteristic for ISU) is our passing could have been much better. ISU had a few critical passes stolen that they normally don't do. We just were not quite ourselves last night.... and it was just barely enough to lose the game.
Totally agree. Lazy passes.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY and aauummm

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
had more time to think about this and really proud of all the guys. great year.
we said they needed an A game this game and forward to win, and offensively, we just didn't have it.

I think us missing so many point blank shots along with Illinois did a heck of a job scouting and preparing.
They were jumping our passes (mainly because we were stagnant), and they learned something from BYU about moving the ball.
It was like clockwork. Their Point guard would back us down just baiting the double team. He was tall enough to throw it over Lipsey, and they intentionally made an extra pass, and it worked. espeically in the beginning.

finally, I have not seen a game in a while where almost every 50/50 ball, bounce went against us. it was just really weird.

Reactions: CYEATHAWK

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I remember this tweet from Norlander last year, and with Alabama winning and Tennessee having a chance today, we could be the team with the worst record in the Sweet 16. Don't get me wrong, as I would rather be there, but of course we would have the worst record when getting there. We are 1-6 after last night. 1711727400348.png

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I remember this tweet from Norlander last year, and with Alabama winning and Tennessee having a chance today, we could be the team with the worst record in the Sweet 16. Don't get me wrong, as I would rather be there, but of course we would have the worst record when getting there. We are 1-6 after last night. View attachment 126612
A lot of it shows that it's extremely hard to be a complete, well rounded team at Iowa State and will continue to be an iterative process. You can be Top 5 in Offense or Defense and get to the 16 almost exclusively on that. In order to get deeper, you also need to be at least Top 25 or so on the other side of the ball, or Top 25 or so in both.

We have done amazing for what we've been able to get for talent. We've maximized every ounce of those players. We're seeing each year that we're becoming more attractive to scorers and that will continue. As we become more well-rounded, we'll take the next step. It takes time with the advantages/disadvantages we have, as outlined in my State of the Program post.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
This one isn't even close to the 2000 loss imo. That team had legit national title potential and got screwed on seeding. This team lacked star power and was facing an uphill battle to beat Uconn in Boston.

I'm about over last nights loss already, but I'm still not over the 2000 Auburn Hills game.
I think we all knew Fizer was going to declare for the draft after 2000, so it felt like a last hurrah. I'm still amazed the 2001 team won the conference and got a 2 seed the next year. I definitely didn't feel that way after the MSU loss. This year, there is legitimate reason to feel we'll be better next year, (I am assuming Tamin, Keshon, CuJo, and Milan all return).

Reactions: NoCreativity

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think we all knew Fizer was going to declare for the draft after 2000, so it felt like a last hurrah. I'm still amazed the 2001 team won the conference and got a 2 seed the next year. I definitely didn't feel that way after the MSU loss. This year, there is legitimate reason to feel we'll be better next year, (I am assuming Tamin, Keshon, CuJo, and Milan all return).

I believe he was projected mid first round after sophomore year, he already gave more than nearly any player ever has by coming back for his junior year. Without that, no best season ever.

Xerxes_

Sep 10, 2023

Agree. That game vs Michigan State was basically the national title game. Everyone knew it at the time because every other bracket had been turned upside down by the Sweet 16 except for the Midwest region which nearly went chalk.

That was a brutal loss. ISU wins that game and they would have coasted through the Final 4 like MSU did.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'd like to add a shooter, but I actually think improved Milan could already be that shooter. He just needs to become higher volume and more aggressive/confident. He could shoot 2x as many 3s and still be in the flow of the offense.

Watson actually shot the 3 at a decent %, it just wasn't part of our game plan.

The three guards could all become more consistent shooting the three...Jones shooting like he can for an entire season. If we replay that holiday tournament with post season C Jones we probably have another undefeated non-conf.

MIght as well see all the shooters improve and win next year's holiday tournament.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
With a late game and early wake up for work I wasn't able to get this around and wanted to give it proper effort in putting it together. I will probably miss a person or 2 but know I appreciate you.

As another great season comes to a close I want to send out thanks to all the posters who make these a joy to do and why the time and effort is totally worth it.

First off to everyone who rated the op and/or the TJ gif whether it be once or every game thank you including the @Houston game where I turned your efforts into proceeds for We Will.

Next to all the people who would shout me out in a post thank you so much. This group includes @t-noah @NWICY @CySmurf @carvers4math @ca4cy @soakitinCYder @Bestaluckcy @Jdk @cymac2408 @jcyclonee @danvillecyclone @67CY

Next group is all the posters who bring their unique flair to these threads:

@ISU4Life Let's Do This gif
@Cyched My Body is Ready
@AlaCyclone Let's Go State
@Spanky everything you post
@pourcyne your different unique musical contributions
@bawbie @CoachHines3 For your informational post on our opp. for every game
@JM4CY Win the Whole ****ing Thing gif
@CycloneErik from KU must be destroyed to might as well win this one

Finally everyone who made a score prediction all year. Sorry I got away from doing my prediction awards after wins. After my burglary incident I just didn't have a heart to continue doing them but I promise to get back to them next year.

Just a few of some of the regular score prediction posters were: @t-noah @Cyclonscin @NENick @SerenityNow @demoncore1031 @Die4Cy @Marcelason78 @Jdk @Cyhig @danvillecyclone @riceville98 @Cyburbbalz

Again to those I missed know that I appreciate you all. This was another tremendously fun season. 2nd place conference finish, conf tourney title and Sweet 16 appearance where we were a 2 seed playing in Omaha in a season many pundits had as a rebuilding year where just making the tourney would be an achievement.

I think the proof is in the pudding that as long as TJ is here it's never a rebuild just a reload. See you all back next fall!

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thought about this game on the drive this morning. Our D was ok probably overtrapped on D. But we never really got our good offense going. Very little ball rotation and I don't think we even had 1 lob to Ward. We missed a lot of paint points ( I think someone posted less than 50% on lay up and dunks)

Well time to see what happens with player/staff (no info on staff just thought it should be included) comings and goings. Then let TJ and company sort it out and come back next yr.

Well I'll be back in Hilton in November. Only 1 team gets to end the season on a W, maybe it'll be us next yr. At least want us back in the dance.
We tried one or two lobs but they were either intercepted or knocked away. I also don't remember us getting any charges, outside of them running through screens, and that is usually good for a couple every game.

Reactions: NY Chicago Fan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron