*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Both Arizona and North Carolina are far more legit Final Four material than us. Both went home within hours of us. This tourney is a crapshoot.

I'd want the coach fired if i was an arizona fan tonight.

And yeah, that'd be an overreaction based on one game, but what in the actual **** were they doing continuing to jack up all those 3s when they were being gifted foul after foul driving to the basket?

Reactions: ClubCy and Freebird

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Dunking is okay instead of finger rolls that fail and wild swooping banks that are so hard they fly off. Lack of hustle and no 3 point D doomed this game. Great season for the seniors

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Not the most physically gifted 5, but no one can ever doubt his effort and dedication. He played smarter every season and even developed some offensive moves. Every season I think he's hit his ceiling, but he just raises it.

He improved soooooo much over these 3 seasons. Hope he gets paid to play some euro ball or something.
Yeah. Think he's the banner recruit for us to get more 5s. His improvement was incredible. I am nervous ablti losing him, because it seems clear he's a leader in oractice...which you need for tjs intense practice style.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Illinois played half court backing a guard down to the block, which no player occupied. We normally trap the other team's post, but by using this strategy Illinois spread the ball out even further than BYU or any other teams did. We didn't adjust well in the first half then in the 2nd half their most important run came when Shannon came back in after sitting from foul trouble & we go to the well again & try the traps clear out by the 3 point line, which led to the run which started with Shannon catching a low pass & nailing a 3. We'll need an addition to the play book to combat this in the future. [what the Hell it is, I've no clue]

Last edited:

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Legit how is Shannon allowed to play, and how do Illinois fans cheer him on?
Unfortunately, society places higher value on these sorts of people.. athletes/celebrities/politicians, etc.

Had he been a nobody, with little funds, he’d be sitting in jail awaiting trial.

However, in today’s society he’s playing for a national championship instead in front of major crowds.

• Agree
Reactions: Tpups21

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Not happy with the outcome, but think it’s important to keep it in perspective. ISU’s coaching staff is top notch, and this team exceeded most everyone’s expectations. Illinois had a much bigger and athletic lineup. Shannon was a breast and ISU didn’t have anyone who was as remotely good. Still, this team fought and the three guard tandem of Lipsey, Gilbert, and Jones are likely to return. Consequently, next year is likely to be even better.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One other difference was I don’t think the refs called any charges outside of running over screens. Refs didn’t decide it, I just think we would usually get those and it changed our defense a little.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Innocent until proven guilty. The university made the decision to suspend him, but he lawyered up.

I wouldn't want someone with that noise on our team. But that's me.

He lawyered up with the NIL money and others "invested" in his basketball future. Play at all costs....win at all costs. Underwood must be proud.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
A court forced them to un-suspend him saying it was unfair to cost him his opportunity at money before he's been found guilty somehow (when schools suspend players for things that aren't even illegal all the time). Stupid logic imo.

That doesn't mean Underwood couldnt let him ride the bench though. Coaches have done it for a lot less.

It is kind of bizarre that a star player cannot talk to the media AT ALL.

I mean imagine if they were to win it all and the star player basically has a gag order.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm ready to place money on a starting 5 of Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones, Milan and Jackson.

Float Milan between 3/4 running various subs.

I like that lineup but I don’t think you can go 3 guard with two being pretty small in the Big 12. I think TJ wants to be big and if Curtis is willing to keep coming off the bench I think that would be optimal.
Innocent until proven guilty. The university made the decision to suspend him, but he lawyered up.

I wouldn't want someone with that noise on our team. But that's me.

Brad Underwood don’t give a ****.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
I congratulate the squad for their success....We do have to realize for this staff and players, this is the ceiling. And, to be honest, I am cool with that. I would rather see ISU get to this point than not get to this place at all...our team is essentially Frankenstein's monster on stage, singing "Putting On The Ritz". It's funny and real...

Teams like FAU, VCU, Loyola and George Mason have made the final four. There’s absolutely no reason we can’t get there.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Being honest I can only think of two plays that were sure things that we missed. Keshon’s layup after the steal and King’s missed layup when he had time to catch, land, and go back up and the end of the game.
And that's the difference.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'd want the coach fired if i was an arizona fan tonight.

And yeah, that'd be an overreaction based on one game, but what in the actual **** were they doing continuing to jack up all those 3s when they were being gifted foul after foul driving to the basket?
That was a bizarre game too. Completely got away from what got them there. And it’s not as if it wasn’t working against Clemson too. No reason for the threes.