*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Some initial thoughts on the analytics - I'll write on their players later:

- The bright red box really stands out amongst a bunch of green. Our defense is #2 in forcing turnovers. Their defense is the third worst in the country! On top of that, we've been really REALLY good at taking care of the ball recently - our last 5 games we average only 6 turnovers, which is crazy low.
- For the #1 offense, there really isn't anything they do at an elite level. They aren't Top 15 in any metric that KenPom measures, but they are basically top 100 in everything.
- On offense Illinois is basic right at the average for point distribution (points from 3, 2, FT) and 3pts attempted. They do have a lower than average assist rate, due to the amount of isolations they run
- Our defense allows a lot of 3s (but at a quite low success rate over the last couple months) and is 9th best in limiting scoring on 2pt shots. Their defense is opposite, opponents take a very low percentage of shots from 3 and they give up the 8th most points on 2pt shots - especially in the mid range
- For all the chatter from their fans about "pushing it in transition" and how no one can stop them, they really don't play all that fast on offense, about average. We do tend to cause very long possessions with our defense.
per Torvik, the last 10 games we've held opponents to 26% shooting from 3.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hope they win, but will not meltdown if they lose.

Not nervous, looking forward to the game

Been a great year hope it continues. Next year barring an exodus of key players they will be preseason top 10. So lots of good things ahead.

It's now about getting to see guys like BRE get one more game as a reward for all that they've put in to the program.

They'll leave it all out there and that checks the box.

Sofro

Mar 21, 2022
During the WSU game I was speaking sternly to the tv and my Bernadoodle freaked out almost like fireworks were going off...may have to vacate her to a separate room tonight so I don't feel bad! With that said, I am feeling confident about tonight, no way Domask is allowed to back his man down and I feel good about Tamin/Keyshon/Demarion being able to slow Shannon down...you are not going to stop him he is too good you just need to keep him from going off for 30-40.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You beat me to it.

Tre is not the kind of player who has to put up a 15/8 for him to have a good game. He's been just fine in the tournament so far; he hit an absolutely huge shot for us in the Washington State game.

The same kind of narrative comes up for BRE.

Do people even watch the games and understand that points aren't the whole story?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
giphy.gif

The scared part especially is me today.

Reactions: cycloneG

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I don't feel good. Hope I'm wrong.

And, once again, you wrote the exact same damn thing before both of our games in the tournament, and look at how that's turned out.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt and think that you keep on writing this as a good luck charm, but since you did your best to crap all over our win against Kansas earlier in the season I have to think you're being serious. But GTFO with this negative energy!

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Feeling nervous, anxious, and excited. And I love it! It is so much more fun to be feeling this way versus watching the S16 games with no vested interest.

No matter how this game turns out, I am proud of what this team has accomplished this season. I thought at best this team may sneak into the NCAA tournament, especially after the E$PN Invitational. But this is probably the greatest team ISU has ever had. I've never seen a team play so well as a group. This team doesn't have the one great player, rather they are a collection of very good players who play together and for each other. It has been fun and a privilege to watch this team all season long.

But I'm not ready for the season to end just yet. 78-69 ISU. Let's GO!!!!

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
And, once again, you wrote the exact same damn thing before both of our games in the tournament, and look at how that's turned out.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt and think that you keep on writing this as a good luck charm, but since you did your best to crap all over our win against Kansas earlier in the season I have to think you're being serious. But GTFO with this negative energy!
It's been working, leave him be :D

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think end of day it comes down to how it's officiated.

If they are whistle happy ISU will be challenged to pull it off
I agree with this - there are 3 specific calls that could determine the outcome:
- Hand checks / swipes with guard pressure out top. If they call those on Tamin / Keshon / Curtis it would be a problem
- Bailouts on drives. If they allow Shannon to drive in, initiate contact (esp when the big is straight up) and give him a bailout call or an and-1, he could shoot 10+ FTs and we'll be in trouble
- Block / Charge - We are very good at cutting off drives with set help side defense. When Shannon (or others) go barreling through the help defender, we need to have at least some of those called as charges