Offensive problems

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
With the way our line run blocks there isn't a solution to the running game. Sam was struggling to throw the ball so that's out the window.

What plays are left? Can't do wildcat because we can't run block. Can't just sling it around because Sam was terrible the first 50 minutes throwing.

Now if Sam had to play because Rohach isn't ready, that's the staff's problem for not having a capable quarterback recruiting to backup.

That would be the other problem. The OL is tremendously disappointing, and nothing else works right along with it.
Ugh, this is ugly.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Our offense is quite offensive actually.

Really, I don't see why we don't just line'em up in the offset I and run right at'em with full back leads, sweeps, and counters. It can't be any worse and we might get 3-4 yards on first down as opposed to -1 or -2. It worked for Iowa. At this point, I'll take anything that is a potential improvement.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
People saying in a vacuum that the bubble screen on 4th and 4 was terrible are morons. Iowa sends a blitz there (which they do a lot more frequently now than they used to) and it's a huge play. We gambled and lost. It happens. Unfortunately that ball was one of the best delivered balls Richardson had up to that point in the game. We could run a pick play and the blitz gets to Richardson for the sack before he can get rid of it and people would say that's a stupid play call as well. Neither is a bad call...you're going to lose a bunch of bets against the defense during a football game.

The play calling against UNI was bad. The play calling against Iowa was fine...the quarterback struggled the first 50 minutes to deliver quality passes and when he isn't able to run the offense has zero dimensions to it. There isn't a playbook in the country that works when the offensive line can't run block and the quarterback is struggling to deliver good passes.

I would argue that people who say what you say are morons. On 4th and 4 you don't go for what could be a huge play if Iowa blitzes. You run a play that will get the first down. On 4th down you don't go for the touchdown. You go for the play that will allow you to continue to go for the touchdown in following plays. On 4th down you don't run a play where you only have one option to throw to, you give your qb multiple options to get the first down. On 4th down you don't run a play behind the line of scrimmage. Every person who's ever coached a game of football in their life tells you that you throw past the line of scrimmage.

And the playcalling was awful against Iowa. If you have a qb that you know is injured but you're going to put out there anyway, you adjust your gameplan for it, not continue to run the same plays unsuccessfully that allows the defense to tee off on your running backs because they know he's getting the ball on all of these slow developing plays.