Offensive problems

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I understand it's hard to divvy out carries to 4 RB's + Richardson, but at some point you'd hope Messingham or whoever is in charge of this stuff would say "Hm, Shontrelle is only gaining about a yard per carry. We're running up the middle a lot. Maybe we should utilize our 240 pound RB?" And they would stick Jeff Woody in the game. I've never understood the lack of carries for Woody. He's not fumble-prone and he makes the LB's think twice about trying to stop the run.

In the passing game, it's time to throw the ball downfield. Obviously Iowa was essentially playing prevent defense but Bundrage shredded their safeties and corners for 3 TD's. It's not like anything else is working either, so why not spread it out more? Right now we're basically trying to get 4-5 yards per play whether it's a run or a pass. That slow, methodical style works if you're willing to use play action, WR reverses, and other "gadgets" to exploit the D when they begin to play too tight. If Messingham would have waited any longer to throw downfield, he probably would've been murdered by Rhoads. With Tom Herman, our offense was willing to take shots to the endzone and throw in the middle of the field, not just to the sideline every time. Time to get rid of the 5-yard out route on 3rd and 10.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Tom Mensa Herman put up 52 points against Cal. Looks like he has a game plan and adjusts.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Urban Meyer is an offensive guru. I highly doubt Herman calls a lot of plays on his own.

It's not like Urban just hired whoever though. It's obvious things Herman is a solid coordinator and position coach, otherwise he wouldn't have hired him.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We should get Urban on the phone during our Thursday Tulsa game and let him call the plays from his living room if he is available. It would be better.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I understand it's hard to divvy out carries to 4 RB's + Richardson, but at some point you'd hope Messingham or whoever is in charge of this stuff would say "Hm, Shontrelle is only gaining about a yard per carry. We're running up the middle a lot.

Agreed. I feel bad for Shontrelle in a sense, he seems like a great guy, but he never really panned out. And, especially when your O-line is weak, it doesn't make a lot of sense to dance around in the backfield for 2 or 3 seconds before you pick a hole. Usually that leads to either (a) getting tackled for a loss, or (b) plowing into the back of your own lineman and hopefully falling forward for a yard. I don't think we should even be lining up with a finesse back since their is very little blocking for him to do his thing. We need someone more north-south.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
It's obvious we can't run between the tackles. We just can't move anybody. Last night, in the first half, following a punt by ISU, Fox cut to a commercial. As they did, they showed our center getting blown off the line. He snapped it and was hit by Iowa's NG. He got knocked back 1-2 steps on the snap of the ball.

When you can't run up the middle, you have to mix in sweeps, counters, misdirections. I see very little of this. We cannot continue to try to run up the gut...it is not working.

I thought the play calling alst night was better but there were some real boneheaded calls. I understand trying to make what you want to run work, but you just will not have a high powered offense without a strong line. Unfortuantley, we are too young and inexperienced on the line and I just don't know how talented this group is.

I would be interested to know our stats from 1st half vs. 2nd half. SR sharpened up, time of poss. was more even.

rjkbroker

Apr 30, 2010
we have a qb that when the primary option is not available...put's his head down and looks for running lanes....we have a high school offense...embarrassing.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
It's obvious we can't run between the tackles. We just can't move anybody. Last night, in the first half, following a punt by ISU, Fox cut to a commercial. As they did, they showed our center getting blown off the line. He snapped it and was hit by Iowa's NG. He got knocked back 1-2 steps on the snap of the ball.

When you can't run up the middle, you have to mix in sweeps, counters, misdirections. I see very little of this. We cannot continue to try to run up the gut...it is not working.

I thought the play calling alst night was better but there were some real boneheaded calls. I understand trying to make what you want to run work, but you just will not have a high powered offense without a strong line. Unfortuantley, we are too young and inexperienced on the line and I just don't know how talented this group is.

I would be interested to know our stats from 1st half vs. 2nd half. SR sharpened up, time of poss. was more even.

You mean, like throwing a 1 yard pass on 4th and 4?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I don't have a number to back this up but our production on first down seemed terrible in both games. It's tough to be a good play caller or a successful offense when you are 2nd and 9 most of the time.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
This pistol we implemented was supposed to lead to all of this 'downhill running'. Where the hell is it then?

Our plays need to be more of the quick-hitting variety. If we can't sustain blocks, then long-developing runs should not be what we try to establish as our forte. Whoever fits this method of running should then get the carries. Try it with White over at least 3-4 series before even thinking of subbing in. He's averaging 5 yards a carry, yet he's only carried it 12 times in 2 games.

If we are having trouble with pressure on the QB, then why not move the pocket once in a while. Think we did 2 nights ago, but sparingly. Hard to do with a hobbled QB. Should have done that some in the 1st game & maybe he wouldn't be so hobbled.