OC's available at the end of the season...

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Cute. The entire team looked horrible yesterday (aside from various special teams bright spots), and you guys are back to playing "Scapegoat Messingham"? Seriously?

Come one. You know this goes much deeper than one game. At Iowa State we need coaches who can do more with less. As an OC Messingham has done nothing to show me he has the ability to do that.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
So Herman has top talent and was struggling to beat Iowa? You guys make me laugh with this stuff. Herman had some good games at ISU, but not many of them. He wasn't a great OC either and at OSU has not been impressive. Their offense was terrible last year.

Herman is 19-0 since he left, numbnuts.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Cute. The entire team looked horrible yesterday (aside from various special teams bright spots), and you guys are back to playing "Scapegoat Messingham"? Seriously?

You are right, the entire offensive staff needs to be gutted. Not one of them has done anything over the Rhoads tenure to show they deserve any more time collecting checks in Ames.

Let's talk about the Strength and Conditioning coaches. Holy crap do our players continually look weak. Not just this year but in all of the current era they look and act weak. ISU should not continually be pushed around on the line. The worst was the fact that Tulsa destroyed both of the ISU lines in the Liberty Bowl and also the fact that ISU could not really get a push on either line against freaking UNI! Oh yeah, UNI has now lost 3 in a row. They are an average freaking FCS team and owned ISU.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Steve Loney could be available if Tampa Bay makes a HC change. He would instantly improve the O-Line and be an upgrade at OC too. Nobody new and exciting, but an improvement nonetheless. Not that that's saying much in our present situation.

Edit: For those calling for Sage, he'd probably be a good QB coach in that situation. Very familiar with each other obviously.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Steve Loney could be available if Tampa Bay makes a HC change. He would instantly improve the O-Line and be an upgrade at OC too. Nobody new and exciting, but an improvement nonetheless. Not that that's saying much in our present situation.

Edit: For those calling for Sage, he'd probably be a good QB coach in that situation. Very familiar with each other obviously.

I'm pretty sure Loney is retiring from the NFL this year regardless what happens to the head coach.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Some of you guys are really swinging for the fences and dreaming. I really doubt Rhoads will hire from within again following this season, but I highly doubt he goes after some of these big names that are being thrown out.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I didn't read much of the replies here but a couple things.

I think Coach Mess would have a lot of success if he had OSU's players too.

Here is the problem.

#1. O and D Lines. this should be a priority. This makes everyone better. (so #2,3 below get better with this)
#2. OC
#3. QB

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Still think Dave Schramm, current OC and QB's coach at Fresno State. I really wish Rhoads would let Sturdy call plays the rest of the year though, as a tryout for next season.

How about NO!!! At the end of the season there shouldn't be a single offensive coach on staff that retains their job. They all need to be fired.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I didn't read much of the replies here but a couple things.

I think Coach Mess would have a lot of success if he had OSU's players too.

Here is the problem.

#1. O and D Lines. this should be a priority. This makes everyone better. (so #2,3 below get better with this)
#2. OC
#3. QB

#1 is number one problem with the offensive the last three seasons. The OL play has been poopy. I know the excuses that they are young, and there are injuries but the performance so far stinks. I don't like the play calling but even if we did get a new OC nothing will change unless the OL gets better.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I did a little research and found a potential OC replacement if Messingham ever loses his job. Can/should I still post it in here? This thread went away from actually naming potential candidates and is now just complaining about Messingham like 15 other threads.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I did a little research and found a potential OC replacement if Messingham ever loses his job. Can/should I still post it in here? This thread went away from actually naming potential candidates and is now just complaining about Messingham like 15 other threads.

You forgot to attach your resume to your post.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Tom Herman, Ohio State
Buzz:
Outside of Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska, all of which finished in the top 20 nationally, the Big Ten had a lackluster recruiting season. There were, however, several impressive individual recruiting performances, making the title of the Big Ten's best recruiter hotly contested. The job that Herman, Ohio State's offensive coordinator, did by going to Texas and grabbing three of the state's top 20-ranked prospects, including five-star linebacker Mike Mitchell -- Texas' No. 1 ranked prospect -- gets the nod as this year's most impressive feat. While Mitchell was a monumental pull, convincing Rivals100 running back Dontre Wilson to leave his Oregon commitment, spurn the in-state Longhorns and come to Columbus to play slot receiver was more impressive. Add four-star quarterback J.T. Barrett to his total, and even though Herman did not get to pad his stats with in-state pickups, his was the Big Ten's best in 2013. - See more at: Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Rivals.com top recruiters: Big Ten

Is anyone admitting that maybe we were wrong about Tom Herman and wishing we still had him doing this for us?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

I for one would like to see who you suggest, just as long as it is original and not simply a name of either a former player or a head coach who has been fired or will be fired.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Is anyone admitting that maybe we were wrong about Tom Herman and wishing we still had him doing this for us?

I admit it. Granted I didn't really have a strong dislike for Herman until the Rutgers game. I maintain if he would have been here last year we would have won a couple more games.