Observations from the 1st 2 games.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I thought we looked ok for the Most part. Both O and D lines were not giving us the advantage but at the same time weren't putting us at a disadvantage either, which is improvement.

To say this team isn't better than the last 3 years of teams I believe is insincere.

I will say it at long last FEELS and LOOKS like we are a team rebuilding to be relevant again. I think it's like with the Cubs, they had been telling fans they were rebuilding since the early 90's. After a while you grew cynical. We were sold the same Kool-Aid since Chizick and after a while your patience ends and you just want to see wins.

Give this program a few years under CMC and I think we will be in the mix at last.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
It's becoming clear that Campbell can recruit some football players. Our team is really starting to look the part. Still a ways to go depth-wise, but that's expected.

I wouldn't call us a young team, but we do have a lot of "new" guys. Campbell will coach them up. I see us winng 4 big 12 games and getting to a bowl.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Too much negativity, sure we need to get things tightened but we haven't had this much potential in along time. This staff will get things figured out and I thing we have a great shot at 6 wins. I didn't think it was possible pre-season

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm very annoyed we lost, just because we had it. However, I think back to one of the interviews Chris did during big 12 media days, I believe it was with Joel Klatt. He basically said when rebuilding a program you first lose big, then you lose close, then you start to win. Hopefully we can take the next step and start to win these close games.
The previous 3 years were lose big games. Last year was the lose close games. This year is suppose to be the win close games. Hopefully there are more opportunities for the latter.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
D line has been so much better than I anticipated. LB spot is going to improve. DBs need to be better.

Offense as looked great.

I like where we are going.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

RVD4

Dec 26, 2011
Lets be real, that game was ours, period. The kick out of bounds was something that can't happen.(coaching). We over pursue and don't stay home on D. Offense is a pleasant surprise. Kicking and punt game is pretty good. Tackling is pathetic. We beat UNI, should beat Akron,Kansas and Baylor and maybe Texas.If we are going to compete with the rest of the Big XII we better get better in a hurry.

• Disagree
Reactions: ComCY

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Based on expectations

DL-better than we thought they would be this early.

OL-about what we thought.

WR-inconsistent

RB-let's be honest it's all Montgomery and he's a beast

LB-solid, which is good considering what we had last year.

DB-not as good as we thought but still good.

Kicker-no complaints

Punter-fantastic

PR-no complaints

KR-no complaints

Effort-excellent

Coaching-need to trust their team more.

QB-good, can be much better

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm very annoyed we lost, just because we had it. However, I think back to one of the interviews Chris did during big 12 media days, I believe it was with Joel Klatt. He basically said when rebuilding a program you first lose big, then you lose close, then you start to win. Hopefully we can take the next step and start to win these close games.

I've heard this quote for the third straight coaching staff now. This post isn't a knock on Campbell. I actually think he will get the job done, but the quote is just an excuse for a new coach to bring in the recruits he wants. I actually think you need to see progress Year 1 which we did with Campbell.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The defense is no better than last year it appears. That will still improve the further we get away from the Rhoads era and continue getting Campbells players in. Offense picked up from where it left off last year and keeps improving all the time.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
I felt like yesterday on D, when we were blitzing, we would show the blitz extremely early. It allowed Iowa to check into something different, or just adjust their blocking scheme to cover it which made our blitzes ineffective.

When we did blitz on 3rd and long, they would pick it up and exposed our less than stellar coverage on the back end.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I really wish we would bring more than two running plays to a game. Is it really that hard to implement a little larger playbook. I mean they brought one main run play, the slow draw up the middle into the teeth of Iowa's defense. They finally brought out that weak side pitch and it worked almost every time. What happen to the two and three back sets from last year. We need runs that get our backs to the edge.

• Agree
Reactions: TwinCitiesCy

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Based on expectations

LB-solid, which is good considering what we had last year.

I wouldn't characterize as solid. Wadley's two big plays could have been minimized if LBs made a tackle, Harvey on the play that set up the td to cut it to 3, Lanning on the tying td. I'll give you LBs are better than last year, but still a weakness.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I've heard that too, but this team was losing close last year. ****, this program has been losing close for 5 years.

It's looking a little like the switch is stuck on "lose close".

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCY23

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
Obviously the L sucks, and it will be hard for fans to put it behind them. But for the players it's something to learn from and move on.

That is what is key to turning around the program. No doubt the talent is there it's no doing the little things to keep improving and not use a loss as an excuse to the "here we go again" that can happen when a team hasn't experienced great success.

That is and always has been the coaches toughest job. We will see where it goes from here but I think this team has a real shot to surprise the conference. And based on the first two weeks of the season I think they can not only play with anyone in the league but also win vs any team in the league.

• Agree
Reactions: genesis36

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Like what I have seen out of the team. I am actually more optimistic than after UNI even though they lost. Think they can definitely get to a bowl this season. But just to look ahead for a second. I think next year's team could have the most potential of any team since Wallace was at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Help Support Us

Become a patron